Engine Dies When Headlights Switched On Bright

Guest frogman

Guest frogman

hi guys..1st post although I've been lurking and surfing around in here for the past few days. Got a used VFR '02 with 42000 KM, don't know what's been or hasn't been done to the bike but a problem just cropped up.

Bike is started with lights off,side stand up and in neutral. Once warmed-up,i turn on the headlights to full bright and the engine dies. Just found out it will also happen when lights are switched on with bike in gear.

However, the engine is able to run normally and I can ride it out if light switch is in the middle position(not so bright) but will die off when turn signal is operated. Anyone encountered something similar? Is this known problem? Batt or R/R?

Bike's at the shop and I'm told to come back tomorrow but they still looked lost when I left...... thks

• Member Contributer

If by shop you mean Honda dealership, make sure the front harness recall has been done. If it hasn't have them do it and have them replace the 30A fuse wiring as well (all should be covered under the recall and cost you nothing). That would be the first place I would start.

And welcome to VFRD. smile.gif

Sounds like the left switch control is common to both problems. Possibly a short to ground when a switch is moved.

Toon

I can tell you exactly what that is .... Wiring Harness... Check the yellow block connector in the left side front fairing - it will probably be burnt. You need to replace wires and bypass the connector... then you need to beef up the wires around the 30 amp fuse so it is able to take the load, otherwise the fuse will blow and then you won't be going anywhere...

are you from the UK? If so check out 'track electronics' online, they sorted mine.

:goofy: on the recall work, if you are in an area supported by such (not sure with the KM reading).

It sounds like something is shorting out, or losing a ground, and causing the bike to die.

Welcome home.

:goofy: on the left switch pod. That is a good place to start.

I have a hunch you will find your answer near the bank angle sensor or engine cut-off relay. I suspect you have a short that is dropping 12 volts onto the bank angle sensor output or the ground side of the engine cut-off relay. Do you have to cycle the key to restart? Or can you simply turn the high beams off to restart? Could also be the fuel cut relay... it lives up there too... but it sounds more like the bank angle or engine cut getting some stray voltage.

If you are not blowing fuses, you most likely don't have a dead short to ground... You more than likely have a short to another wire that is giving a kill signal back to the ECU or causing the engine cut-off relay to drop.

I would start by eliminating both of the headlight relays... disconnect both of them (one at a time, of course). See if your problem still exists. If it does... focus on the switch pod. If not, move to the connector (I think it's blue) and inspect it. Then look focus on all the wiring running through that connector. Look carefully, this could be as small as a chafed wire.

I don't have my schematic in front of me... but this shoud put you in the right spots to look. I only have the .PDF download right in front of me and it is just blurry enough that I can't make out wire colors and connector colors. Sorry.

I would not worry about the 30A main at this point... that is another problem for another time. This is not a "canned answer" 30A fuse kind of a problem.

Thank you for all the inputs..and now

Update:

Bike seems cured and hopefully stays that way. The shop found a leakage at my headlight switch. They took care of that and replaced a new battery as well. All covered by their 1 month warranty :biggrin:

On another note, will fixing a voltage stabilizer or those similar products help with the bike's electrical health?

The shop found a leakage at my headlight switch. They took care of that and replaced a new battery as well. All covered by their 1 month warranty :biggrin:

On another note, will fixing a voltage stabilizer or those similar products help with the bike's electrical health?

Glad to know you got it rolling already, Frogman, and Welcome. Congrats on your new bike, too. I'll suggest it could soon become your Best Friend. :pissed:

Regarding your Electrical Health follow-up, may I include the following:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35047

Suggest you read that thread - it should Thoroughly answer your question(s). Would like to also mention Kudos to Tightwad, who was/is the driving force behind that thread, and the solution(s) within. We all owe him a Big +1 and thanks. Also, FYI - kindly notice him earlier in This thread, too.

All the Best, Frog! :blink:

• 7 years later...

Hi, I had the same problem. I found out that the issue was the yellow connector with green wires only.
Its contacts were oxidated inside.. This connectror is located next (under) to the left low beam bulb.

DSC_0240.JPG

Archived