Rear Wheels/tires, The End All Discussion

dallasb

Question

There seems to be a lot of questions about rear wheel and tire sizes and fitment, here is the answers to all who inquire, please correct me if I make a mistake.

Rear wheel ID picture

gallery_4071_2768_24337.jpg

vfrwheels.JPG

3rd Gen wheels, 90-93, the infamous 8-spoke

Size: 17"x5.5"

OE Tire: 170/60-17

Tire recommendations: 180/55-17 is the best handling tire you can put on a 5.5" rim, nothing else.

The 170 will not put as big of a rubber contact patch down when cornering hard. The 190 tire will be too big, not as stable handling in hard cornering.

Fitment: Will fit all VFR's 90-09 without any problems

Weight: 13.1 lbs

4th gen, 94-97

Size: 17"x5.0"

OE Tire: 170/60-17

Tire recommendations: 170/60-17 is recommended for the 5.0" rim, a 180 will work, but won't be as stable handling in hard cornering. Some may argue this, the 180 will work, but I think the 170 is a better choice.

Fitment: Will fit all VFR's 90-09 without any problems

Weight: approx 12 lbs, please confirm me this.

5th & 6th Gen, 98-01, 02-09

OE Tire: 180/55-17

Tire recommendations: 180/55-17 is the best handling tire you can put on a 5.5" rim, nothing else.

The 170 will not put as big of a rubber contact patch down when cornering hard. The 190 tire will be too big, not as stable handling in hard cornering.

Fitment: Interchangable between 98-09 no problem, and will fit 90-97 with notching modification to hub mounting surface.

The bolts for the brake rotor stick out instead of being flush, as shown in pic. This mod has been shown, use the search feature.

Weight: 13.1 lbs

gallery_4071_2768_16398.jpg

vfrhubs.JPG

Edited by dallasb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I recall seeing that mod done where the four factory holes were welded up. A bit of work, but not particularly difficult for a good welder.

RC45 wheels?

Ciao,

I'm with JZH... what work was done on the conversion?

There are different ways to go about it. I chose a way that I could use the parts I already had and I can easily obtain.I already had a Hawk GT spindle. This would be a direct bolt-on but it's a few millimeters short on the sprocket side. So I had my fabricator marry the Hawk GT's spindle and my VFR's spindle together. The Hawk's spindle has the inner spline that you would need for the inner wheel axle, which is used to hold the wheel onto the spindle. That inner axle may need to be extended, in my case it had to. It depends on how the two spindles are married. You'll need to source the inner axle, wheel nut base, wheel nut, and nut washer from an NC30, NC35, RC30, RC45, etc. Ebay UK is your best bet. Finally, the lug holes need to be heli-arced shut for the finished look then powdercoated. That's it.

That's a nicely done Hawk, indeed. Did you turn the NC35 sprocket carrier around the wrong way? Looks better that way, gives me further ideas for a project in motion. Thanks for the idea!

That's a nicely done Hawk, indeed. Did you turn the NC35 sprocket carrier around the wrong way? Looks better that way, gives me further ideas for a project in motion. Thanks for the idea!

Flipping the sprocket carrier is a common trick to get the proper chain alignment for cushless conversion on VFRs and Hawk GTs (RC31).

Edited by rc4six

Excellent. I learnt something new today. Thanks!

Looks better with the sprocket carrier flipped too. Currently working on a similar conversion, although I'm temped (sorely!) by Dymag carbon wheels - which is the main reason for the conversion...
BTW, the Bros / Hawk swingarm looks a lot like the VFR750's as far as brake mounting is concerned. How did you make the brake underslung?

BTW, the Bros / Hawk swingarm looks a lot like the VFR750's as far as brake mounting is concerned. How did you make the brake underslung?

On both the Hawk (mounting on top) and VFR (mounting on the bottom), the brake mountings are stock.

Ah yes, sorry - I must've been seeing double! :happy:
Anyways, I'm sure you've seen it, but there's an underslung kit available for the hawk that might work on VFR's too. Something I shall research more: http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/forum/honda-hawk-gt-bros-discussions/general-discussion/25919-hawk-forum-custom-made-parts-thread

Fantastic looking hawk you have there anyways - congratulations. :wink:

• Member Contributer

will a 4th gen sprocket carrier fit on a 5th gen?

part 6 and10 (etc) in this pic

post-8974-0-82956200-1427913198.jpg

What about the rear axle (part #3)? will that fit on a 5th gen?

• Member Contributer

It will fit but you need every other RC45 part to make it work... its about a 5K investment..

post-3131-0-75726800-1427935133.jpg

post-3131-0-81626500-1427935161.jpgpost-3131-0-97442400-1427935080.jpg

It will fit but you need every other RC45 part to make it work... its about a 5K investment...post-3131-0-75726800-1427935133.jpg

post-3131-0-81626500-1427935161.jpg

post-3131-0-97442400-1427935080.jpg

• Member Contributer

Clear on the axle.

That leaves the sprocket holder..... (part #10 in the pic)

A fellow VFR rider has deep scratches in his 5th gen holder and I have a spare 4th gen.

The partnumbers are different, bit will it fit? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Cheers, we like it nice and tight so we'll give this a miss...

• Like 1

Anyone got any pictures of or a how to guide for notching the 5th gen+ wheels to fit the 3rd and 4th gen. I see a lot of talk but no solid how-to's for it, I wouldn't mind trying a CB1000R on mine but don't want to attack it with an angle grinder till I know what's really needed.

I don't have any pics, as my VFR is 1/4 of the planet away from me, but if you take some clay, or some putty, or anything that is transferrable, and place it on the heads of the bolts gently/loosely, then mount the wheel, you'll see where you need to radius the inner face of the wheel. Then you take a dremel, or equivalent, and SLOWLY make a circular indent into the inner face of the im. If you Google this " blending turbine blades" you'll get the idea. You want a nice clean semi circle, so the wheel won't crack due to stress risers. It isn't hard, just takes a little patience. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

If you don't want to notch the wheel, you could just replace the disc bolts instead...

20160422_195628x.thumb.jpg.6d07f53220b34ab8d7f395a344b72cdd.jpg

I always get the nomenclature wrong, but I think they're BMW "S1000R" disc bolts.  I used some titanium ones off eBay, but you could also use OEM BMW.  There's enough clearance on the other side for flanged nylock nuts--at least there was on my 3rd gen.

Ciao,

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2014 at 3:33 AM, rc4six said:

There are different ways to go about it. I chose a way that I could use the parts I already had and I can easily obtain.I already had a Hawk GT spindle. This would be a direct bolt-on but it's a few millimeters short on the sprocket side. So I had my fabricator marry the Hawk GT's spindle and my VFR's spindle together. The Hawk's spindle has the inner spline that you would need for the inner wheel axle, which is used to hold the wheel onto the spindle. That inner axle may need to be extended, in my case it had to. It depends on how the two spindles are married. You'll need to source the inner axle, wheel nut base, wheel nut, and nut washer from an NC30, NC35, RC30, RC45, etc. Ebay UK is your best bet. Finally, the lug holes need to be heli-arced shut for the finished look then powdercoated. That's it.

Can I ask what you (rc4six) did with the VFR. It's a 3rd Gen wheel that is normally located and driven by the wheel mount studs and nuts - which are no longer used. I assume you used a 400 axle, but how did you match the wheel to the drive pins? Did you have to machine the back mount face of the wheel to accommodate the drive pins?

On 3/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, JZH said:

If you don't want to notch the wheel, you could just replace the disc bolts instead...

20160422_195628x.thumb.jpg.6d07f53220b34ab8d7f395a344b72cdd.jpg

I always get the nomenclature wrong, but I think they're BMW "S1000R" disc bolts.  I used some titanium ones off eBay, but you could also use OEM BMW.  There's enough clearance on the other side for flanged nylock nuts--at least there was on my 3rd gen.

Ciao,

This is brilliant.  I just ordered some BMW bolts to do this. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2009 at 2:10 AM, dallasb said:

5th & 6th Gen, 98-01, 02-09

OE Tire: 180/55-17

Has anyone tried a 180/60?

I have '98 that needs tyrs.

Considering the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III and going from the 180/55 to the 180/60

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Trackdog said:

Has anyone tried a 180/60?

I have '98 that needs tyrs.

Considering the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III and going from the 180/55 to the 180/60

I love the 60 series. They’re wider across the tread face than a 55 series and are much taller. The rear ride is much more supple, as well. You’ll want to double-check it’ll clear your swingarm and exhaust. I fit mine onto the bike, rotated the eccentric for clearance, then, cut my chain to fit.  Michelin has stopped production of their 180/60 street tires, so will probably switch over to Pirelli. 

Cut the chain?, because you re positioned the eccentric?

I don't wanna make any assumptions, but did you shorten a stock factory chain, or, did you custom cut a new/replacement chain.

I was thinking bigger tire, longer chain, no?

Nervous about going thru the trouble of mounting it just to see if it fits.

I just bought the bike and it has OEM chain,sprockets, exhaust

I just stuffed a much bigger tyre on my DR350 than recommended, but that was an easier job than this.

It was just a  "F" it and try it it job.

I think the 60 being more "peakier" will improve handling a couple ways, turn in easier, and may be able to,  when needed to,  ride a little softer.

I should probably get EXACT clearance measurements and see if I can find the difference between the 55 and 60 size.

I was hoping someone would say, "ya I did it" and fits...lol

My first VFR.....

180/55-17 180/60-17                            Difference
Diameter inches (mm) 24.8 (629.8) 25.5 (647.8) 0.71 (18) 2.9%
Width inches (mm) 7.09 (180) 7.09 (180) 0 (0) 0%
Circum. inches (mm) 77.9 (1978.58) 80.12 (2035.12) 2.23 (56.55) 2.9%
Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.9 (99) 4.25 (108) 0.35 (9) 9.1%
Revolutions per mile (km) 813.39 (505.41) 790.78 (491.37) -22.6 (-14.04) -2.8%