Rear Wheels/tires, The End All Discussion

dallasb

Question

There seems to be a lot of questions about rear wheel and tire sizes and fitment, here is the answers to all who inquire, please correct me if I make a mistake.

Rear wheel ID picture

gallery_4071_2768_24337.jpg

vfrwheels.JPG

3rd Gen wheels, 90-93, the infamous 8-spoke

Size: 17"x5.5"

OE Tire: 170/60-17

Tire recommendations: 180/55-17 is the best handling tire you can put on a 5.5" rim, nothing else.

The 170 will not put as big of a rubber contact patch down when cornering hard. The 190 tire will be too big, not as stable handling in hard cornering.

Fitment: Will fit all VFR's 90-09 without any problems

Weight: 13.1 lbs

4th gen, 94-97

Size: 17"x5.0"

OE Tire: 170/60-17

Tire recommendations: 170/60-17 is recommended for the 5.0" rim, a 180 will work, but won't be as stable handling in hard cornering. Some may argue this, the 180 will work, but I think the 170 is a better choice.

Fitment: Will fit all VFR's 90-09 without any problems

Weight: approx 12 lbs, please confirm me this.

5th & 6th Gen, 98-01, 02-09

Size: 17"x5.5"

OE Tire: 180/55-17

Tire recommendations: 180/55-17 is the best handling tire you can put on a 5.5" rim, nothing else.

The 170 will not put as big of a rubber contact patch down when cornering hard. The 190 tire will be too big, not as stable handling in hard cornering.

Fitment: Interchangable between 98-09 no problem, and will fit 90-97 with notching modification to hub mounting surface.

The bolts for the brake rotor stick out instead of being flush, as shown in pic. This mod has been shown, use the search feature.

Weight: 13.1 lbs

gallery_4071_2768_16398.jpg

vfrhubs.JPG

Edited by dallasb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

See, now this was helpful. I thought the 8 spokers were 17x5. Now I know. Might have to look for one to make the switch. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

SLO, yes that 8 spoker in the pic will fit your late model VFR.

Dallas,

Are you certain about the weight of these wheels without a tire mounted? I have not confirmed but have always heard that an 8 spoke is about 1/2 lb lighter than the 5th/6th gen wheel...

This question is about FRONT wheel interchangeability : Will a 6th generation (2002) front wheel, with rotors fit on a 5th generation ('98 - '01) bike ? I can get one at a good price but I can't try to fit into my ('98 vfr) forks w/o buying and having it shipped. Anyone know the answer ?

• Member Contributer

Front wheels from '98-'09 all the same.

ABS equipped VFR's model have an ABS sensor ring on the front brake disc on one side. You can still use it on non-ABS VFR's though; the ABS ring can be unbolted and removed, which has no affect on the braking of a non-ABS bike.

• Member Contributer
Front wheels from '98-'09 all the same.

ABS equipped VFR's model have an ABS sensor ring on the front brake disc on one side. You can still use it on non-ABS VFR's though; the ABS ring can be unbolted and removed, which has no affect on the braking of a non-ABS bike.

Thanks for the info.

FYI-You will need to use the axle spacers off your 5th gen. I did the opposite (5th gen front on a 6th gen) and noticed the spacers are different widths.

• Member Contributer

Some car wheels will actually do the trick. I couldn't find the thread but there was once a thread (that I actually started) about a guy whose Z1000 had a ZX-10R front end and a VFR SSSA. I forget what kind of rear rim he used but it was an aftermarket car rim. It looked sick. It just so happened to have the correct offset, number of lugs, lug pattern, diameter, and width for his 190 tire (it may have even been a 180 like ours.)

Some car wheels will actually do the trick. I couldn't find the thread but there was once a thread (that I actually started) about a guy whose Z1000 had a ZX-10R front end and a VFR SSSA. I forget what kind of rear rim he used but it was an aftermarket car rim. It looked sick. It just so happened to have the correct offset, number of lugs, lug pattern, diameter, and width for his 190 tire (it may have even been a 180 like ours.)

Oh Reeeaaalllyy? :biggrin:

The only issue here, is the offset of the wheel is combined with a spacer plate between the hub and the wheel which allows the wheel to clear the swingarm. This pushes the wheel to the right of center and the guys that do these swaps on inline bikes move the entire swingarm to the left to compensate! Not happening on a VFR!

It's possible, for sure, but you would HAVE TO find a 17x5.5" car wheel with a 4x100mm bolt pattern(Honda or early VW for example). Then figure out if the offset is correct(distance from hub mating surface on wheel to outer edge of hub side of wheel).

Once you've got that figured out, then you can search for a design you like and the weight of the wheel... most car wheels are going to be heavier.

• Member Contributer

Here's a Z1000 with a ZX-10R front end (forks, fender, and wheel) and a VFR SSSA. The rear wheel is an automotive aftermarket wheel. The guy that built this said it was.

Z1000.jpg

Here's a Z1000 with a ZX-10R front end (forks, fender, and wheel) and a VFR SSSA. The rear wheel is an automotive aftermarket wheel. The guy that built this said it was.

Z1000.jpg

The guy's name was Gavin Butts, he was a member on customfighters.com. The wheel is a Konig car wheel.

I say "was" because he recently died in an accident he had with that bike. Unrelated to the wheel.

umm, dumb question, maybe ... the 8 spoke wheel is very nice, and like most I too want one.

BUT, is there such a thing as an 8 spoke front rim ?

I don't think I have ever seen one ...

Are the 8 spoke rear rims very difficulty to obtain, or perhaps relatively available.

How much $$ does one usually fetch.

TIA

• Member Contributer

umm, dumb question, maybe ... the 8 spoke wheel is very nice, and like most I too want one.

BUT, is there such a thing as an 8 spoke front rim ?

I don't think I have ever seen one ...

Are the 8 spoke rear rims very difficulty to obtain, or perhaps relatively available.

How much $$ does one usually fetch.

TIA

IIRC, all front wheels have always been the 5-spoke design of some type.

8-spokers start at around $200 (very cheap) and continue on up to new price of around $750. I do believe that they are still available new from the dealer if you just have to have one.

I picked mine up for under $300 shipped with a decent tire.

I never knew that. All the ones I've seen have all been 6-spokers. If you've got a 5-spoker, can you post a picture? Where did you get it?

They're all 6 spoke wheels except the 1st & 2nd gen. With a few exceptions. :blink:

reservoirbracket004.jpg

9-20-09020.jpg

Guest ethanch

Hi Im new to this group, I am doing a swing arm conversion to my 90 CBR600, I have a single sided swing arm from a 96 VFR750 4th gen. If Im reading this right the hub bolt pattern is the same on all the single sided swing arm VFRs? And it looks like any 90 09 rim will work/Fit. and does the rim have to be off a 750? what about a VFR800? Any other info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ethan

Edited by ethanch

Hi I’m new to this group, I am doing a swing arm conversion to my 90 CBR600, I have a single sided swing arm from a 96 VFR750 4th gen. If I’m reading this right the hub bolt pattern is the same on all the single sided swing arm VFR’s? And it looks like any 90 – 09 rim will work/Fit. and does the rim have to be off a 750? what about a VFR800? Any other info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ethan

Yes, they all fit and the very first post of this thread explains you question about each type of wheel. :wheel:

Welcome to VFRD.

• Member Contributer

The only Honda OEM five-spoke Enkei-type wheel I know of is the NR's 16"...and that may actually have been made by Magtek, like the rear. If there were a 17" Enkei-type front wheel (3.5" width, of course), I'd love to hear about it!

Ciao,

Guest AmbitiousbutRubbish

Ok need a quick answer. I checked around here but found nothing conclusive. 4th gen (1994) VFR, I bought my 8 spoke, its prepped, black and shiney, ready for a tire. Can I run the 180/55/17 rear or will it hit necessitating a 170? If it does hit, what can be done (if anything) to make clearence? Let me know as I am gonna mount this sucker up tomorrow depending on the answer (the 180 is in stock at my local shop). Thanks in advance!

Edited by AmbitiousbutRubbish

And as another data point - member HyoFighter discovered that the CB1000R rear wheel goes onto the VFR, as does the front with a few mods.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/65548-a-different-wheel-option/page__p__768468#entry768468

1287586003.jpg

I haven't found any threads yet. Has anyone tried a 7th Gen on an earlier Gen, say 4th? I quite like the look of the new wheels.

7th gen is a 5 lug. it looks bad ass, but its not gonna happen...

• Member Contributer

I am wondering what the better solution would be:

1. use a spacer between my Gen 6 rear wheel and my Gen 3 SSA hub interface

2. Dremel the Gen 6 rear wheel mating surface to clear the exposed bolts coming out of the gen 3 hub

The short of it is that I want to swap rear wheels between my Gen 3 and Gen 6. The 8-spoker '93 wheel works great on the 2004. but, the reverse is not true. I would rather not hack up the 5-spoker rear wheel, however.

Suggestions?