Trailer Wheel Chock

briguy_78

• Member Contributer

I'm looking for a wheel chock for my trailer. I have convertibars so am looking for a wheel chock whereby I either don't have to tie down the front at all or can tie down the front wheel directly to the chock. I believe Wheeldock allows you to do this, but it's pricey.

Anybody else out there have recommendations on what would work?

• Member Contributer

I have the Condor trailer only chock set up, but it's pricey too. I've trailered without front tie downs a couple of times and can vouch that it works. But I still had some unease, especially if I were to hit a nasty pothole that could possibly knock the front end out of the cradle (have not heard of that happening), so I still tie down the front as a precaution.

http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1005

Bri guy, why are you concerned about tieing the front down?

I'm going to take a guess and say that you are using a canyon dancer?

I usually use ratchet tie downs and put both hooks in the tie points of my truck bed, no chock, and wrap the strap around the base of the clip on(one per side). Tuck a microfiber towel under each strap to keep away any fairing damage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I want to stay away from canyon dancers or any other straps that tie down to my bars as I'm not confident that my convertibars would be able to withstand a big bump. I think that any other method would result in the straps rubbing against the fairings.

I think I may just bite the bullet and get a condor or baxley.

Brian

Bri guy, why are you concerned about tieing the front down?

I'm going to take a guess and say that you are using a canyon dancer?

I usually use ratchet tie downs and put both hooks in the tie points of my truck bed, no chock, and wrap the strap around the base of the clip on(one per side). Tuck a microfiber towel under each strap to keep away any fairing damage.

I've trucked bikes for 1000+ miles one way with the method I described, just put microfiber towels or some other soft cloth between the strap and the fairing.

Unless you want to spend the money, then just go right ahead. Personally, I'd rather buy a set of tires than a chock.

I use wheeldocks... which are expensive($250), but keep any pressure off your front suspension. You ride in and step on a lever, which releases the back of the chock so that it clamps on the tire. Then you use a really short strap to secure the bike to the chock. I usually tie the back pegs down just to ensure the rear doesn't skip around.

Their website seems to be down at the moment (2:30AM Eastern), but I'm sure they will be back up soon.

www.wheeldock.com

Here is some info... Wheeldock

I have also used the Wheel Dock. It doubles as my garage stand and trailer wheel chock and works well for both. It is a little pricey but after using a Bike Grab and evaluating the Condor and Baxley, I decided to buy the Wheel Dock. Another option is the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint. It doesn't put any strain on the front end. Apparently it is used by many AMA teams.

hth,

Roger

• Member Contributer
Another option is the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint. It doesn't put any strain on the front end. Apparently it is used by many AMA teams.

PitBull copied a guy who has been making those for WERA guys for a few years. They are THE way to go for trailer restraint. No tie downs needed at all, which also frees up a lot of room in your trailer without straps going everywhere. Much faster to load and unload too.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with single sided swingarms, it needs a rear axle.

• 2 weeks later...
Another option is the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint. It doesn't put any strain on the front end. Apparently it is used by many AMA teams.

PitBull copied a guy who has been making those for WERA guys for a few years. They are THE way to go for trailer restraint. No tie downs needed at all, which also frees up a lot of room in your trailer without straps going everywhere. Much faster to load and unload too.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with single sided swingarms, it needs a rear axle.

Which takes you back to the wheeldock if you don't want to compress your front end smile.gif

Which takes you back to the wheeldock if you don't want to compress your front end smile.gif

and this one for the rear.

TDR01B.jpg

www.kyaracing.com.au/product.htm

• Member Contributer

Yep.

I have been kicking myself for two years for buying a cheaper wheel chock. One day I will break down and buy a Baxley or wheeldock.

Yep.

I have been kicking myself for two years for buying a cheaper wheel chock. One day I will break down and buy a Baxley or wheeldock.

Wheeldocks have come down $50... $250 now!

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Another Condor user here. I like the quick disconnect trailer bracket and it is awesome for maintenance. It can be adjusted to work on the rear wheel as well and also fold down when not in use.

• Member Contributer
I want to stay away from canyon dancers or any other straps that tie down to my bars as I'm not confident that my convertibars would be able to withstand a big bump. I think that any other method would result in the straps rubbing against the fairings.

Dude........if you're worried about those bars breaking during transport why the hell would you ride with them then?????

Just for the sake of discussion and let me preface that I do not currently transport my bike so I have no ax to grind nor any vested interest because of a purchase. I do plan to trailer it when I can't ride it, so I'm a little confused about preferences on this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Baxley, Condor, Wheeldock, and the Harbor Freight units all require tying down the bike and compressing the suspension to some degree. If true, why would the additional operations involved to use them make these systems better than a single operation system like Motocinch.

The exception seems to be the Pit Bull unit, but it appears it cannot be used on a bike with a single sided swingarm, so it would be useless to me.

Help me out on this, guys!

• Member Contributer
Baxley, Condor, Wheeldock, and the Harbor Freight units all require tying down the bike and compressing the suspension to some degree.

The exception seems to be the Pit Bull unit, but it appears it cannot be used on a bike with a single sided swingarm, so it would be useless to me.

I'm not sure about the Condor, but the Baxley and Wheeldock hold the front of the bike well enough that tie downs are not necessary. The HF, Powerstands (which I have), and most others still require tie downs. They are nice, because they will hold the bike upright for you while you install tie downs, and keep the front tire/forks from moving around while in transport.

The Pitbull does not require any tie downs, but you are correct that it will not work with the VFR's SSSA.

Archived