Outside Air Temperature Gauge Too Cold.

Ryanme17

• Member Contributer

Hey,

I'm pretty new to the forum, so I'm not sure how this works, but my outside air temperature gauge works fine at first, but after a few minutes of riding, it gets colder and colder, and after about 5 minutes, it reads so cold it just displays the two lines (just like the engine temperature reads when it's below 100*). Any ideas what this is or how to fix it?

--Ryan

In addition to checking the connections, you can pull the sensor and connect an Ohm meter to it to check the resistance. Should be 4.8 -5.2 @77 degrees F.

Action

• Member Contributer
In addition to checking the connections, you can pull the sensor and connect an Ohm meter to it to check the resistance. Should be 4.8 -5.2 @77 degrees F.

Action

I will check the resistance, thank you for the reference point! I was thinking maybe a bad resistor along the line somewhere? Not sure why it would start fine and then get colder, though...

• Member Contributer
" Outside Air Temperature Gauge Too Cold"

Move South! :goofy:

That's hilarious! :laugh: Although that is often a problem here in Michigan, I mean it reads colder than it should until it stops working altogether. Plus, if I could move anywhere else, it would be someplace with better twisties.

" Outside Air Temperature Gauge Too Cold"

Move South! :goofy:

That's hilarious! :biggrin: Although that is often a problem here in Michigan, I mean it reads colder than it should until it stops working altogether. Plus, if I could move anywhere else, it would be someplace with better twisties.

Never heard of this one, but it's either got to be a faulty sensor or Dash. I don't think I have an extra sensor laying around, or I'd send it to you to test with.

We have great twisties here in TN and little to No snow and year round riding! :fing02:

Never heard of this one, but it's either got to be a faulty sensor or Dash. I don't think I have an extra sensor laying around, or I'd send it to you to test with.

We have great twisties here in TN and little to No snow and year round riding! :biggrin:

You're such a tease Kevin... I've never heard of that problem either, I hope it's just something dumb like a dirty connector or something.

• Member Contributer

I'll let you guys know when I get a chance to take it apart, check the connections and resistance. I have a honda service manual, I'll see if it has a wiring diagram that might show any resistors within the temperature sensor or between that and the dash, I wouldn't think a loose connection would do that, though a weak electrical signal might...?

Either way, I'll let you guys know when I figure it out.

--Ryan

The service manual most definitely does have the wiring diagram! You can also download the electronic version here, and then print copies you can scribble on. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Action

It read 4.4 ohms @ 77*F. I'm going to replace the outside air temperature sensor and see if that helps.

• 7 months later...

hello, from lithuania.

my problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvlpLJ6n9Cg

I show you how in the displey not rising temperature... I turn on motorcycle, turn on hairdryer, heated open air sensor, but in the display temeprature not rising, I turn of motorcycle, and turn ignition again, there we can see that temperature displaying higher, and it falling down ... I'm changed open air sensor with new one, but problem is the same. What You suggest to do?

• Member Contributer
hello, from lithuania.

my problem:

I show you how in the displey not rising temperature... I turn on motorcycle, turn on hairdryer, heated open air sensor, but in the display temeprature not rising, I turn of motorcycle, and turn ignition again, there we can see that temperature displaying higher, and it falling down ... I'm changed open air sensor with new one, but problem is the same. What You suggest to do?

Check the resistance of your open air sensor with an ohmeter.

FYI, the open air temperature sensor is located in the very nose of the bike.

hello, from lithuania.

my problem:

I'm checked reistance. Resistance same in manual.

• Member Contributer
hello, from lithuania.

my problem:

I'm checked reistance. Resistance same in manual.

Then I have no idea.

The sensor is simply a piece of metal that changes with temperature. A small current is run through it and as the metal heats up and cools down, how easily electricity flows through it changes. It's basically just a fancy wire. You bike reads these changes in resistance and calculates the temperature.

But if your sensor is reading the correct resistance, I don't know why your temperature never changes. It may be a problem with whatever "reads" the resistance to calculate the temperature. These electronics are located in the dash, I believe. Does everything else work correctly electronically?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, try posting a new topic in this forum (electrical). There are a lot of people on here smarter than I am, someone else might know.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

strangely enough a good jetwash resolved mine - but my gauge told me the opposite with a rather optimistic reading.

Any ideas?

I solved my issue by replacing the Outside Air Temperature Sensor. Other than that I can't really tell you much more than I already have.

Archived