Group Riding Rules

VFRbeliever

• Member Contributer

A lot of great points here.

But right or wrong, when I lead rides I tell everybody that passing whenever and wherever you'd like is fine, as long as it's safe. This applies for passing each other or cages. The scariest thing I repeatedly see when not leading is bikers passing a car just because the bike in front of them did. I watched a so called experienced rider make a terrible pass in NC last spring. I was 2 bikes behind him. The bike in front of him made what I considered a questionable pass as I could see an oncoming car on the horizon. He would certainly make it cleanly, but I felt he was putting undue pressure on the oncoming car and it was simply an asshole move. Then, the "experienced" rider pulled out behind him. I slowed way down waiting for the immenent head on collision. The car literally drove off of the road and into someones yard to avoid our kamakazi rider.

To say I gave him holy hell at our next stop is an understatement. I tried to bring it up respectfully and quietly but then he denied any wrong doing. So I flat out blasted him in front of the entire group, encouring the other witness to confirm the car driving off the road instead of plowing into the biker. He ended up apologizing and asked for another chance. I hesitantly continued on with the group in sweeper position. I knew this guy was trouble before he invited himself into our group and he'd proved it.

About 10 miles later I watched him lowside his Magna at about 15 mph. He panicked in a tight turn, locked up his rear brake and never let go. I suppose it was better than highsiding but the case was closed as far as I was concerned. Our group split from 6 bikes to 3 and 3 from there.

We made nice back at camp. He admitted, again, his mental mistakes. He was riding way over his head. He was excited to be riding with the "faster group" and was all machoed up. That's the kind of shit that gets you dead. I ask riders I'm unfamiliar with to please die on their own time and not in my group.

Vent over as I'm way off topic.

During the organization phase of our last group ride, one of the members asked a great question. Do we have any posted group riding rules?

They could have asked a better question.

If you like rules so much, why do you ride a motorcycle?

I'll step in on this one...... Riding a MC doesn't mean you have no rules .......... If you choose to obey/or not is your choice ....... But group rides calls for you to do what is voted on by the group or don't ride with them .......... 1st rule is not to put others in the group in danger .... Then there are rules to help people not get lost from the group when separated due to catching a light, or going to slow as to see where they went, the rule to help this is to have someone wait for the catch-up rider at the place where the group changed directions. That is just an example of some usefull rules.

I've seen group rides where people have gotten hurt, where the same riders probably wouldn't have, had they been riding by themselves, or have obeyed the rules. You have to ride in a group like you're on your own as far as your own safety is concerned, but group riding rules are for everyone in the groups safety.

• Member Contributer

I enjoy riding alone most I must admit, 2,3 others max by choice

When I ride with someone for the 1st time, I make sure we agree on a few basic rules with regards to things like space and speed.

Space especially when it come to my immediate left or right. I want no one (barring emergengy) there..... I dont want to take anyone out, nor be taken out by a momentary lapse of concentration that can happen to each of us.

TMAC will see me in a group setting since a looong time, I will make sure I understand the rules it comes with. If you prefer basketball rules over soccer, do not join a soccer match.... :tour:

one thing to remember Leon: Those tiny roads and responsible drivers in europe allow a little wiggle room in staying in your lane. In the USA, not only is it totally frowned upon, it will get you killed.