• Member Contributer

Since I've been asked in person, and PMed about the exact location of the Texas Mac Memorial Cross when members haven't been able to locate it while riding on Hwy 28, I measured it last Friday..........

Coming from the Deals Gap Store on Hwy 28: 9.8 miles on your right

Going toward the Deals Gap store on Hwy 28: 22.6 miles on your left

It looks like this:

1-14-2008-75.jpg

1-14-2008-74.jpg

Hope this helps with locating it next time you are riding the area and don't get to attend T-Mac........... smile.gif

Thanks David, someone has the GPS coordinates also somewhere?

BTW when you say "Going toward the Deals Gap store on Hwy 28: 22.6 miles on your left" what is your start point reference for this 22.6 miles?

Coming from Fontana Village heading south, it's basically at the end of the first 180 deg. left turn when you start down the hill after entrance to Fontana Village on your right.

• Member Contributer
Thanks David, someone has the GPS coordinates also somewhere?

BTW when you say "Going toward the Deals Gap store on Hwy 28: 22.6 miles on your left" what is your start point reference for this 22.6 miles?

Coming from Fontana Village heading south, it's basically at the end of the first 180 deg. left turn when you start down the hill after entrance to Fontana Village on your right.

From where you turn off 74/19 onto 28N.......

• Member Contributer

Hard to believe how much time has passed.

That red and white pole in the first photo should serve as a good landmark too. I hope to see the cross someday.

• Member Contributer
Hard to believe how much time has passed.

That red and white pole in the first photo should serve as a good landmark too. I hope to see the cross someday.

.....except that there are a lot of the "red and white poles" along that road........ :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Guess that makes me a "pole" huh? Oh well.......Good photos anyway. Thanks Skuuter

Like most things in life....Ya' never know until you ask or go there.................. :rolleyes:

That is how I remember it' exact location.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

WOW it has been a long time! I should bring some new bolts to replace the ones rusting. Last year I didn't get to make it down to clear the weeds off the site. Tough year at work... This year I plan to make a regular trip to this area.

I am glad to see the cross is standing the test of time. I am also grateful that the cross has not been removed by the State road crew or some other persons.

Hope to ride with you guys again some day! :blink:

• Member Contributer
WOW it has been a long time! I should bring some new bolts to replace the ones rusting. Last year I didn't get to make it down to clear the weeds off the site. Tough year at work... This year I plan to make a regular trip to this area.

I am glad to see the cross is standing the test of time. I am also grateful that the cross has not been removed by the State road crew or some other persons.

Hope to ride with you guys again some day! :blink:

Mitzie and I put a Red and Yellow Wreath over it for this years T-Mac......it looks like this now.......

SEMFScoutTrip1020.jpg

SEMFScoutTrip1022.jpg

SEMFScoutTrip1024.jpg

.......... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Beautiful! Thanks!!!

I will get some Stainless screws for the cross and install them on my next visit! I believe they are 3mm but will get a variety just in case. :blink:

I was into RC cars at the time and used what I had on hand with the intentions of changing them as soon as possible and WOW has time slipped by!

• Member Contributer
Beautiful! Thanks!!!

I will get some Stainless screws for the cross and install them on my next visit! I believe they are 3mm but will get a variety just in case. :blink:

I was into RC cars at the time and used what I had on hand with the intentions of changing them as soon as possible and WOW has time slipped by!

HA..."coincidence".....I was really into R/C cars....two time ROAR REGION 3 National Champion........ :blink:

Yeah, they look like 3mm or 5/40....... :fing02:

• 8 months later...

I have often wondered who the cross there was for. Seen it many times in passing. My old FL riding group has one put up for a friend of ours on Hwy. 60 about 2 miles south of Morganton for a good friend of ours we lost, again, the bike ended up on him. I have to say, at least these guys went out doing something they loved, only hope when it's my time I will be doing something I love and it's quick. RIP to our brothers on two.

• Member Contributer

I see all the directions to the cross, have looked and looked and looked everytime I'm up there and CAN'T find it. Maybe I need to walk the route.... :fing02:

I see all the directions to the cross, have looked and looked and looked everytime I'm up there and CAN'T find it. Maybe I need to walk the route.... rolleyes.gif

Thats because your going to fast and looking where you want to go..

Next time through think to your self, "Which one of these left handers would hurt like hell and look up on the mtn about 10ft above the road almost Immediately after the apex.."

There that should be in terms you can even understandgoofy.gif

• Member Contributer

I see all the directions to the cross, have looked and looked and looked everytime I'm up there and CAN'T find it. Maybe I need to walk the route.... rolleyes.gif

Next time through think to your self, "Which one of these left handers would hurt like hell and look up on the mtn about 10ft above the road almost Immediately after the apex.."

Oh, OK. Would it help too if I rode below 75 mph? Not sure my bike will do that.... :fing02:

Oh, OK. Would it help too if I rode below 75 mph? Not sure my bike will do that.... goofy.gif

Better just stick to your usual. We dont want you getting stuck in a group of Harley's then falling over from going to slow..goofy.gif

• Member Contributer

Oh, OK. Would it help too if I rode below 75 mph? Not sure my bike will do that.... goofy.gif

Better just stick to your usual. We dont want you getting stuck in a group of Harley's then falling over from going to slow..goofy.gif

Sure.

• Member Contributer

I guess Baileyrock re-posted this Thread.....we have a new Wreath made again for this year also....weather hasn't cooperated for us to take it up yet though. Will be goin' up soon as possible, and I will post Pics of the New Wreath..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I guess Baileyrock re-posted this Thread.....we have a new Wreath made again for this year also....weather hasn't cooperated for us to take it up yet though. Will be goin' up soon as possible, and I will post Pics of the New Wreath..... :fing02:

Don't hide it so well this time. Consider neon lights so I can find the thing...... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I guess Baileyrock re-posted this Thread.....we have a new Wreath made again for this year also....weather hasn't cooperated for us to take it up yet though. Will be goin' up soon as possible, and I will post Pics of the New Wreath..... :pissed:

Don't hide it so well this time. Consider neon lights so I can find the thing...... :fing02:

Yell Buddy...I'd be happy to take You up sometimes to see it...... :fing02: :huh:

Hope to ride with you guys again some day! :fing02:

Glad to see your still around Keith, especially as the Builder of this fine Cross! :fing02:

Thanks again!

Kev (BR)

• Member Contributer

I guess Baileyrock re-posted this Thread.....we have a new Wreath made again for this year also....weather hasn't cooperated for us to take it up yet though. Will be goin' up soon as possible, and I will post Pics of the New Wreath..... :pissed:

Yell Buddy...I'd be happy to take You up sometimes to see it...... :fing02: :huh:

Kev,

This is an official "Yell". Can we wait until the tundra melts a little? :goofy:

YT,

Jim smile.gif

Archived