A New Way To Gut Your 6th Gen Exhaust

JTG

This is one great modification - simply amazing result. I have a different motorcycle waiting for me in my garage now. A mild-mannered sport touring bike has become an angry and guttural sounding street fighter. It’s not too loud, it’s just deep,menacing and throaty sounding - fuming at the pipes with barely surppressed aggression. I used to be rather fond of this bike and now I love it. Thank you very much for posting this thread. The sound of the V4 coming from my '06 VFR is extraordinary.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just finished this mod. It makes a huge difference. I sold my Ti-Leo Vince pipes a couple weeks ago due to some financial hardships and have wanted he sound back, but at a discount price. This definatly delivers. My only concern is that it is even louder than the Lv's, which I thought were on the verge of being too loud to begin with. SO I guess I may have to try some of the ol steel wool trick if it gets on my nerves. But other than that, very nice sound, pretty close to the LV's, not quite as deep, but louder.

• Member Contributer
Thank you very much for posting this thread. The sound of the V4 coming from my '06 VFR is extraordinary.

You are very welcome, I am glad that others are able to enjoy this mod :biggrin: I'm hoping someone can post a better sound clip than I was able to manage.

Great idea on this mod...looks much easier than a full gut, and I like the idea better than drilling.

Can someone please repost the diagram / sketch of the internals of the mufflers. I can't see the one that was posted earlier in the thread, for some reason.

I have an idea that I want to try, building off this mod, but would like a good idea of what the exact routing of the internal pipes / baffles are.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
JTG: Can you get another sound clip with a couple of good twists on the throttle? I am most interested in how this sounds with a good rev...

Rob

I'll see if I can get my wife to get a video of a drive-by, and I'll rev it up to 10k or so. I didn't want to piss off the neighbors when I made the last video :rolleyes:

Just love that throaty sound! Really wanna hear a drive by.

Well I did this mod last night. It took me almost four hours because I forgot to bring my good drill home from work. The only thing that I did differently was I did not use the extension on my dremil tool. I was able to reach in about an inch with out using the flexable extension thingy. Also, I did not completly remove the exhaust from the bike, I loosend it up and dropped it down about 6 or 8 inches.

The sound is good, it seems loud at low speeds and high revs but it really is not too loud. It was fun pulling into the lot at work this morning and barking the pipes upon arival. smile.gif

Thanks for posing all the pics and info!

I just finished this mod and all I can say is WOW! The exhaust sounds great. the only thing I did diffferent was I used a 1" bi-metal hole saw and cut out on the inside of the tips. :schla15:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I am thinking that the end caps may blue a little from the heat however.

There is no "may" to it rather how much. :biggrin:

For anyone who's interested, I've put on 2100 miles so far and not even a hint of blue in the end caps. We'll see what happens when the summer heat really hits in August and September.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just finished this mod... O M G could someone please help me wipe this sh*t-eating-grin off my face??! Unbelievable sound.

I used the 1" hole saw method. Ran into a bit of difficulty with it as the 1" diameter of the hole saw didn't exactly fit inside the outer pipe like the thread implies. So, I used the dremel to cut the outer pipe off and meh, it looks just as good IMO. And so far I've only done the top 2 complete and the bottom 2 just the outer pipe. The sound is so good now. I could tell as soon as it fired up the first time that the beast has been awakened. Don't know if I'm going to do the bottom 2 completely now. I like it as is.

Took her out for a ride and haven't been able to stop smiling ever since! It's really that much better! You must do this mod! You must! LOL...

By the way, forgot to say this is the best $25 I've spent in a long time. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Last night I completed the mod by doing the bottom 2 pipes - and yet AGAIN I'm blown away by the difference in sound. It's an even deeper tone now with quite a bark when you blip the throttle. I rode the bike in to work this morning and right away can tell that it feels less restricted. There was no jolt when in the vtec range - just an apparent linear smooth acceleration with an overall more powerful pull. And loud. Not too loud - juuuuuuust right IMO. It is more than ever now a brand new beast.

After I showed a coworker what I had done he asked if doing something like this to the bike now requires some adjustments made --- will it run too lean now? Thought I'd run that by the professionals here at VFRD smile.gif .

• Member Contributer
Last night I completed the mod by doing the bottom 2 pipes - and yet AGAIN I'm blown away by the difference in sound. It's an even deeper tone now with quite a bark when you blip the throttle. I rode the bike in to work this morning and right away can tell that it feels less restricted. There was no jolt when in the vtec range - just an apparent linear smooth acceleration with an overall more powerful pull. And loud. Not too loud - juuuuuuust right IMO. It is more than ever now a brand new beast.

After I showed a coworker what I had done he asked if doing something like this to the bike now requires some adjustments made --- will it run too lean now? Thought I'd run that by the professionals here at VFRD smile.gif .

I'm no motorcycle mechanic but when I took the bike in for its 12k mile service I told them what I'd done to the exhaust and they said they would adjust accordingly. Adjust what? I don't know... Regardless it seems to be a lot smoother on/off throttle and vtec transition after the tune up. Maybe someone who's more mechanically inclined could explain what they adjusted... or maybe it's just my imagination, but either way I'm happy with the result!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Maybe the adjustment in your chain has given you the improvements you speak of. I'm not sure there is anything else that can be "adjusted" short of plugging into your computer, or unplugging and capping the usual's.

Any sign of blue yet? Any water? Do your neighbors hate you now?

I would love to do it, sounds really nice...

• Member Contributer

No blue yet, and I've ridden in 105deg weather so I'm guessing it's not going to blue, or if it does it will take a really long time. No problems with water, and honestly unless I park the thing in the rain I really don't think it will be much of a concern. The exhaust pressure will keep most of the rain out and any that does get inside will just boil off in the cans. My neighbors... well they haven't said anything but they also don't smile and wave as much as they used to :blush:

You should do it! It's really easy and way cheaper than Staintunes, especially if you like the look of the stock cans :dry:

has anyone done this mod with the exhuast still mounted on the bike. would it be more difficult? I dont have much of a workbench in the garage and I dont think the wife would like it if I used the kitchen table.

• Member Contributer
has anyone done this mod with the exhuast still mounted on the bike. would it be more difficult? I dont have much of a workbench in the garage and I dont think the wife would like it if I used the kitchen table.

You can't because you need to take off the end caps. Which means you need to take off the heat shields. Can't do that unless you drop it or take it off.

Well, I performed "JTG exhaust mod" today. I thought it was my best option since I don't know a welder and funds aren't available at the moment for a new system. It sounds excellent! I haven't had a chance to really open it up yet but so far I am very happy. Especially since it was free! I love free! :warranty: My only problem was going through those dremel cutoff discs. I don't know how he did it with 5 for each tip. I must have gone through 40 damn discs. Other than that it was pretty simple to do.

• Member Contributer

You can do this with the exhaust on the bike. You'll still need to take the exhaust off of the bike to remove the heat shields, but you can put it back on while you do the mod. I did this when I performed the full gut. I also moved the tail light to avoid any damage while beating the hell out of the exhaust with a hammer and chisel.

• Member Contributer

You can't because you need to take off the end caps. Which means you need to take off the heat shields. Can't do that unless you drop it or take it off.

Well, I performed "JTG exhaust mod" today. I thought it was my best option since I don't know a welder and funds aren't available at the moment for a new system. It sounds excellent! I haven't had a chance to really open it up yet but so far I am very happy. Especially since it was free! I love free! :unsure: My only problem was going through those dremel cutoff discs. I don't know how he did it with 5 for each tip. I must have gone through 40 damn discs. Other than that it was pretty simple to do.

A steady hand, I used to be a welder and a machinist. There are also different kinds of cutoff discs some of which are more fragile but have a smaller kerf than others that are reinforced.

Maybe the adjustment in your chain has given you the improvements you speak of. I'm not sure there is anything else that can be "adjusted" short of plugging into your computer, or unplugging and capping the usual's.

I would love to do it, sounds really nice...

I've put probably 2-3k miles on the bike now since doing this mod, and I'm still very impressed. When I first posted after doing the mod, I felt that it was a little loud, but after a couple hundred miles, I must have just gotten used to it. Has a very nice growl. I don't have an issue with it being too loud at all anymore.

As far as the blueing though, soon after doing the mod, the end caps of my pipes definatly got a goldish tint to them. Its not real "blueing" per se, but the starting of it. But over 2k miles, it has not gotten worse, or started turning to blue at all. In fact, I prefer the goldish hue on my 06 black bike. I wish the rest of the exhaust was the same color. I tried to snap some pics, but the goldness dosen't show up. It's pretty faint, but definaly a slight gold hue. Anyone else get this?

• Member Contributer
I've put probably 2-3k miles on the bike now since doing this mod, and I'm still very impressed. When I first posted after doing the mod, I felt that it was a little loud, but after a couple hundred miles, I must have just gotten used to it. Has a very nice growl. I don't have an issue with it being too loud at all anymore.

It was the same for me. Kinda loud at first but seems better after a few thousand miles. The sound may have changed or I got used to it. I've heard some people say it sounds deeper over time.

I was sitting in the garage Wednesday night looking at my bikes .... from out of nowhere I opened the tool box and starting removing stuff from the VFR !

With the Exhaust system sitting there wide open I decided I was going for it .

What I did was super clean and something I haven't read here .

So here's what I did ....

After all the bling tin is removed the pipes you can see the factory weld at the tip of the pipe . The weld thats covered by the chrome TIP cover !

I grabbed the sawzall and cut along tight to the weld on the side of the weld close to the seat !

The Tip came off leaving the inner can with the baffles exposed . that weld also holds the inner can to the outer can !!!!

for the hell of it I grabbed a set of linesman pliers and pulled on one of the tubes .... LOOSE ! Hummm ... I pulled a little harder and the inner can came right out !!!!

No beating or pounding !!! did the same on the other side .

What holds the inner can in at the bottom is a fine wire mesh with maybe a rivit ?? not sure ... and the weld at the back of the pipe !

Maybe someone a little more computer savoy can make a diagram .. or maybe there's a pic somewhere to show what I did ... I should have taken pics .

So ... one nice clean cut CLOSE to the factory weld and the inner can slides out ! Took about 10 min. to do both sides !

Dropped off the pipes to a bud who will weld the end cap back on .... install all the bling tin back with no muss or fuss ! DONE !

• Member Contributer
I was sitting in the garage Wednesday night looking at my bikes .... from out of nowhere I opened the tool box and starting removing stuff from the VFR !

With the Exhaust system sitting there wide open I decided I was going for it .

What I did was super clean and something I haven't read here .

So here's what I did ....

After all the bling tin is removed the pipes you can see the factory weld at the tip of the pipe . The weld thats covered by the chrome TIP cover !

I grabbed the sawzall and cut along tight to the weld on the side of the weld close to the seat !

The Tip came off leaving the inner can with the baffles exposed . that weld also holds the inner can to the outer can !!!!

for the hell of it I grabbed a set of linesman pliers and pulled on one of the tubes .... LOOSE ! Hummm ... I pulled a little harder and the inner can came right out !!!!

No beating or pounding !!! did the same on the other side .

What holds the inner can in at the bottom is a fine wire mesh with maybe a rivit ?? not sure ... and the weld at the back of the pipe !

Maybe someone a little more computer savoy can make a diagram .. or maybe there's a pic somewhere to show what I did ... I should have taken pics .

So ... one nice clean cut CLOSE to the factory weld and the inner can slides out ! Took about 10 min. to do both sides !

Dropped off the pipes to a bud who will weld the end cap back on .... install all the bling tin back with no muss or fuss ! DONE !

You just did the full exhaust gut from what it sounds like, there are lots of posts and pictures with sound clips if you spend a little time looking around. Enjoy the sound :biggrin:

I just finished this mod on my 02 and I love the sound!!!!. The only thing I had trouble with was with the rotary tool. I started using the cheep cut off discs that came with it and all they did was break all the time. I bought some heavy duty discs and had no problem after that. It is very worth while to buy the heavy duty discs.

Very good thread, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

JTG-

Many thanks for your posts about this modification. I did the mod on my '06 and I love it!!! People that have heard it cannot believe it is an 800. Thanks again.

Scott

Archived