A New Way To Gut Your 6th Gen Exhaust

JTG

• Member Contributer

Here's the bike that will receive the exhaust I have modified. I bought a spare exhaust off of VFRD member "jabandsnort" from further north in California in case I didn't like the modifications so it could be returned to stock. I believe the exhaust came off an 02 and it's going on an 07 RWB.

gallery_11529_3041_381724.jpg

DSC00001.JPG

Unfortunately I didn’t notice until after I had done the work on the 02 exhaust that the stock exhaust on my 07 has additional heat shields on the outside of the cans. I’m not really sure how much these help with heat dissipation, but I do use soft Cortech saddlebags on a regular basis and I wouldn’t want to melt them. At any rate if there is a noticeable difference in heat, the 07 exhaust may require surgery as well. Which means I’ll have an extra gutted exhaust for sale.

gallery_11529_3751_90233.jpg

Photo_040108_004.jpg

The concept behind this was to bypass the baffles without removing them or cutting the end off the cans. (I had much grander plans to begin with but ultimately decided I was too lazy for any of them.) Essentially the gasses pass from the front of the muffler to the rear through a large tube, then they are circulated towards the front again through a smaller tube and finally towards the rear through the 2 smaller exhaust outlets. Someone drew a decent diagram of the inside of the muffler somewhere on this forum if you need a visual. This mod will bypass the extra routing and just travel straight from the front to the back of the exhaust through the one large tube.

So without further ado, here it is!

I'm going to assume that everyone either knows how to remove the exhaust and heat shields or can figure out how to do it by searching around this forum. So I will skip the removal and installation and just deal with the hack and slash part of it.

The first step was to take a hole saw with an inner diameter that just fits over the outlet pipe on the exhaust. Hole saws typically require some material for the center drill bit to go through that keeps the hole saw from “wandering”. However because the exhaust outlet fits inside the hole saw this is not necessary. That being said drill through the end cap around each exhaust outlet as shown. As long as you have a new sharp hole saw this should be fairly easy.

gallery_11529_3751_50619.jpg

Photo_033108_002.jpg

The second step is to cut off the exhaust outlets as close as possible, it is not necessary to be flush with the end cap of the can however the next step is easier if these are a little shorter.

gallery_11529_3751_199095.jpg

Photo_033108_007.jpg

The third step is by far the most tedious and will require some patience and a steady hand. I used a Dremel tool with a shaft extension and small cutoff wheels. Make sure to buy wheels that are small enough to fit inside the exhaust outlets. If they aren’t small enough, just wear them down on a scrap piece of steel until they fit inside. I went through about 5 for each outlet or 20 total, fortunately they are really cheap! I cut off the exhaust outlets about 1” into the cans but you could change this as I’m sure it would affect the sound quality in some way (not really sure what it would do?) One of the outlets is curved so it would probably be difficult to cut it off any further than 1” inside the can.

gallery_11529_3751_28182.jpg

Photo_033108_008.jpg

gallery_11529_3751_9627.jpg

Photo_033108_009.jpg

Here is the finished product all deburred and ready to have the heat shields reinstalled.

gallery_11529_3751_235732.jpg

Photo_040108_002.jpg

gallery_11529_3751_124710.jpg

Photo_040108_003.jpg

I’ve ridden back and forth to work a few times with them on, and I think I love the sound! It’s taking a little adjusting of my senses because over the last 12,000 miles I’ve become accustomed to the sewing machine quality of noise emitting from the machine beneath me. I’d be curious to hear the difference between what I’ve done and a fully gutted exhaust, so if there’s anyone in SoCal with a gutted exhaust send me a PM and let’s compare and contrast. From the sound clips I’ve heard of a gutted exhaust it certainly seems very similar, but it’s really hard to tell from an inexpensive video recording. In the meantime I’ll work on getting a video and sound clip.

Thanks for indulging me,

Jon

HERE'S THE CRAPPY VIDEO CLIP!! Pay no attention to the hideous Pontiac Aztec in the background, that belongs to my neighbor. I don't think I'm going to quit my job to become a videographer, but this gives an idea of what it sounds like. After living with this for about a week, I'm LOVIN IT! :blush: Staintunes may sound better, but for the price I'm not willing to find out.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2406929474949107971

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jon,

Nice looking concept. I have had a 'spare' set of pipes in the garage for a few months now.. just waiting to do a Gut job on them.. now this makes 3 different ways to do it.

I like your idea for the fact it requires no welding after the mod !! now I best go looking for an extension for my dremel... ;-)

looking forward to the sound clip..

cheers

matt

Got any pics from after the reinstall on the bike..??

Im no welder either so it sounds like a great alternative...

Do you think it would be possible using the long dremel shaft to cut the internal pipe then using Really long needle nose twist n pull out the section of tubing to keep a completly stock look..

Do you think it would be possible using the long dremel shaft to cut the internal pipe then using Really long needle nose twist n pull out the section of tubing to keep a completly stock look..

IMO, it would be easier to just cut the end off and remove the baffles. I'm no welder either but it is a simple job for a good welder. I got a set of pipes, had the welder cut the ends of and weld them back on.

Does the exhaust whistle? It seems like the exhaust would hit the the end of the can or the heat shield and make noise.

I like the idea and the fact that most of the baffling is still in place so it will hopefully be a deeper/ throatier sound w/o being too loud! :unsure:

You may be able to play with sound quality if you added tube/ sleeve inserts into the larger holes so that they stick out past the end caps. Changing the length of how far the tube go into the muffler will allow you to custom tune the sound. Having them go in past the interior tubes may greatly improve the sound(or worsen it). :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

IMO, it would be easier to just cut the end off and remove the baffles. I'm no welder either but it is a simple job for a good welder. I got a set of pipes, had the welder cut the ends of and weld them back on.

Does the exhaust whistle? It seems like the exhaust would hit the the end of the can or the heat shield and make noise.

No, there is no whistling. Just the same throaty sound I believe you'll get from a full gutting. I am thinking that the end caps may blue a little from the heat however. I was mostly concerned that the full gutting would be too loud for my liking, and there's no reversing that procedure. This way if it's not loud enough, the next step will be to cut the ends off and perform the full gutting.

Baileyrock, yes I was planning on welding in some insert sleeves to play with the sound. I'm just waiting to buy a new Miller TIG welder, I sold my metal fab shop and all the equipment about 6 months ago and now I'm missing the luxury of having all that equipment sitting around whenever I want to build something.

As for doing this but keeping the stock look... I'm not sure, maybe? You'd have to see if there's a hole saw that fits in between the exhaust outlet and the short piece of pipe that acts as a shield around the exhaust outlet.

I'll take some more pictures of the exhaust on the bike and post that video this weekend.

Baileyrock, yes I was planning on welding in some insert sleeves to play with the sound. I'm just waiting to buy a new Miller TIG welder, I sold my metal fab shop and all the equipment about 6 months ago and now I'm missing the luxury of having all that equipment sitting around whenever I want to build something.

I'll take some more pictures of the exhaust on the bike and post that video this weekend.

Cool, I have a Miller MIG welder, but wish I had a TIG too. :rolleyes: :unsure: :fing02:

• Member Contributer
I am thinking that the end caps may blue a little from the heat however.

There is no "may" to it rather how much. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
I am thinking that the end caps may blue a little from the heat however.

There is no "may" to it rather how much. +1.gif

True, I'm not really worried about it as the exhaust gasses really aren't carrying all that much heat by the time they reach the end of the cans. If they do turn blue... oh well, it will match the paint +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Apparently my video camera is smarter than I am, I made a recording but I can't get it onto my computer :blink:

Anyway, until I figure that out here's another picture with the exhaust mounted on the bike.

gallery_11529_3751_64427.jpg

DSC00012.JPG

• Member Contributer
Apparently my video camera is smarter than I am, I made a recording but I can't get it onto my computer :blink:

???? LOL. Be quick about it. Chop-chop! LOL.

• Member Contributer

JTG,

Interesting concept...hmmm...I'm a veteran of about 3 of the "cut and weld" gut jobs and I can see how this could save some serious hassle.

IIRC, the stock cans have three "chambers". The exhaust comes into the first chamber, runs through pipes to the rear chamber, then reverses to the center chamber, then reverses again out through the end of the cans. Your process, while not allowing a total "free flow" of the exhaust certainly has merit as now the exhaust doesn't have to make the two 180 degree turns within the can...very nice. I'd like to hear it next to a full gut job just for kicks to see if / how much different the sound is.

As for the hole saw to start, be careful that you don't try to saw through the weld around those end pipes. If you hit the weld and don't have the speed of your hole saw correct, you can actually work harden the weld and make it VERY tough on the hole saw teeth...I know this from experience. It looks like you cut yours outside of the weld, which is a better idea than me, who cut through it...

I like the look also.

Very creative...thumbs up.

• Member Contributer

I finally managed to get the video clip downloaded :cool: It's at the end of the original post, enjoy!

Other than the sound, have you noticed any difference in performance or fuel economy? I am considering trying this on my 02 but don't want to loose any power or precious gas milage.

Thanks for posting the pics and video!

Tim

• Member Contributer
Other than the sound, have you noticed any difference in performance or fuel economy? I am considering trying this on my 02 but don't want to loose any power or precious gas milage.

Thanks for posting the pics and video!

Tim

So far, fuel economy and performance seem completely unchanged. If you're worried about it you can always try to find a spare stock exhaust on ebay, craigslist, or from someone on this board. I think I'm going to live with the change for about a month just to make sure everything is good before I sell the extra exhaust, so if you're willing to wait...

Personally I think you'll like it, and you should probably just go ahead and do it :biggrin:

Jon

You may be able to play with sound quality if you added tube/ sleeve inserts into the larger holes so that they stick out past the end caps. Changing the length of how far the tube go into the muffler will allow you to custom tune the sound. Having them go in past the interior tubes may greatly improve the sound(or worsen it). :biggrin:

A Valkyrie member has done something very similar to that with good results, of course its a different setup but the priniple is the same.

http://www.horseapple.com/Valkyrie/Valk_Pr...st__system.html

I drew this up last summer as a wheelchair jockey with too much time on my hands, based on a sketch from another thread here, I think its more or less accurate, might help visualize whats being done.

gallery_9762_3391_108105.png

exhaust internals

• Member Contributer

:biggrin: on Lobsters post, done 3 guts so far, most time consuming part is rewelding.

Could you leave the pipes on the bike while doing this mod?

Next one I am going to try out your way, and we can do a side by side rev-fest, I have a gutted one sitting here ready to install on another members bike,,,but she hasn't called me back yet, not gonna mention any names, (mtbiker1), tongue.gif but if ya dont call soon, aussieinusa is in Tucson now,,,,,,,

Sounds good.

BUT it is not a gut. Sounds like a throatier 6 hole drill.

http://media.putfile.com/vfrdrilled-6holes

Rain in the cans is a worry.

Riv I can hear a definite takataka rattle sound in that audiofile... is that a result of the bore? or did it do that beforehand?

Some water might get in there if caught in the rain... good point!!

Hmmmm

• Member Contributer
Sounds good.

BUT it is not a gut. Sounds like a throatier 6 hole drill.

http://media.putfile.com/vfrdrilled-6holes

Rain in the cans is a worry.

True that! I've been thinking about water getting into the pipes, but since summer is almost here in southern California I don't really have to worry about that until next winter. At some point I plan on welding in sleeves so it looks more like the stock exhaust, and I want to see what that will do to the sound. Since water in the cans isn't an issue with the stock exhaust I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

• Member Contributer
Riv I can hear a definite takataka rattle sound in that audiofile... is that a result of the bore? or did it do that beforehand?

Gutting and or drilling, and leaving the stock out tubes, helps to ping the sound.

True that! I've been thinking about water getting into the pipes, but since summer is almost here in southern California I don't really have to worry about that until next winter. At some point I plan on welding in sleeves so it looks more like the stock exhaust, and I want to see what that will do to the sound. Since water in the cans isn't an issue with the stock exhaust I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

That's why yours sound throatier. A nice big hole.

That's why I did a large outlet gut.

gallery_2922_1722_257745.jpg

100_3695.JPG

:angry:

• Member Contributer

JTG: Can you get another sound clip with a couple of good twists on the throttle? I am most interested in how this sounds with a good rev...

Rob

• Member Contributer
JTG: Can you get another sound clip with a couple of good twists on the throttle? I am most interested in how this sounds with a good rev...

Rob

I'll see if I can get my wife to get a video of a drive-by, and I'll rev it up to 10k or so. I didn't want to piss off the neighbors when I made the last video :biggrin:

Archived