Oil Fiter Options For The Honda.

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bent said:

I don't get it.  People spend a bunch of buying a bike, oil, mods, and time riding it then cheap out on filters.  Anyone ever thought of just paying a few bucks for an OEM filter and forgetting about it?

Because there are better choices than the OEM Honda filter for less money.

Check the - calsci site.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, hwyix said:

Will the oil filters that are listed in first post work on 2014 vfr800?

I'm recopying from the first post.......All below......

Every time this comes up in a post there seems to be great interest so I'll post and Pin this topic for future reference.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

I use the longer ones no problem once there screwed on, just a little more effort required getting past the rad hoses. I use the WalMart SuperTech ST7317 Made by Champion.

Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3300, about $6.
    Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3323, about $6.
    Made By Champion.
  • WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
    about $2. Made by Champion.
  • Like 2

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, hwyix said:

that does not answer my question though.  The original post was before 2014 ( march 2008 )

The link does not list a 2014 vfr800. The link shows 1998 to 2007.

Same basic engine, same filter. That list will apply to your bike.

OEM part numbers for the filter are 15410-MFJ-D01 for both the 2002 and the 2014, for example.

• Like 1

You have to find one the same size as the OEM filter or it will not fit into the space. There is a very tight fit to get a filter in and out of a 2014 (8th gen model), in fact the OEM filter is a tight squeeze. The filter must fit between the radiator, header, vapor canister, radiator bracket, and hoses from the canister. If you dont have the vapor canister it would be alot easier, but a bigger filter wont fit regardless. From my first oil change post, to get an idea of the space you have available. You can see the front of the filter behind the header in the photo. Ive been told there is a purolator filter that is the same dimensions of the OEM filter and cost almost half the price and is suppiosed to be a better quality filter. Somewhere on another post the number of that filter was mentioned.  IMG_03711_zps30ae18e5.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just picked the Purolator Pure One PL14610 and discovered they are no longer putting the rough yellow coat on the outside anymore which made it easy to install. It now looks like this:

625813.jpg

Have the Walmart or Mobil options picked any outside texture to assist with installation?  I ended up using a filter wrench to get it tight and put a slight dent in the filter. I'd like to avoid that situation.  I've had filters leak in the past because they weren't tight.

Are these any good?  http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-94096.html

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Africord said:

Just picked the Purolator Pure One PL14610 and discovered they are no longer putting the rough yellow coat on the outside anymore which made it easy to install. It now looks like this:

625813.jpg

Have the Walmart or Mobil options picked any outside texture to assist with installation?  I ended up using a filter wrench to get it tight and put a slight dent in the filter. I'd like to avoid that situation.  I've had filters leak in the past because they weren't tight.

Are these any good?  http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-94096.html

Gotta be something else causing your leaks.  You should never, ever need a wrench to tighten a filter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Retired my old 2004 VFR in 2011 (crash), but just picked up a new to me 2007 and was pleased to see I still had a Mobil1 M1-108 and a Bosch 3300 in my oil change box!

• 3 months later...

I would avoid K&N, even though you've had good luck. Too many failures! Heck, one failed on a 6th gen here locally a week or so ago. 

I personally use OEM or Bosch 3300s

aVDnfwT.jpg

_soqIgV3_Qrx_LntuYjkky_W9e3oCAldE-ll2eSFs7Ald61gOM6o5hW6W5lZasbQ5f1yayuDYEv9G3RPOZNTDMuua2gb8OnKIIhjGhPzzanVlSPbtS39ZGWHCRCC6iqJMXKRwXGc-JZLKstCZpezY5JvJ-FfIF7IjmyHt17PSbj2nWvzbY3a2XhbmDktkMPaA-eZG53mivSI3jv8vCkByuxOZh28i38lGQrYhT9J_Th6sRxiHH97sMN0gpijTrbEolyESC84rj-d0lU2Rg8V1b5S-HZnRg4Z_Hz6zEuWKpNSZeaNAF79fgXFh792jENvB7w_tH81EUAyQBno9PhfQkPUPmAPyh3gvKTxWciFik8F3qGDDzvSGRcWphQPjeCd_XXneuARJOWF2NlG889iVopAqPDS8hI2br2y4AXPMHAwH-JStmUrC2T-oPWZy-W43pkQvuxQqMa9yPvPKrNXb2Q8428oIojppSAmVBU6vrvASzc9hehsdTOoadZPjs428sZGuJ8qzdIQVCb_G2y6pZRTeV2cg9c_Rv3_P-T56eAwrPfad243PO_bErsUqsXISroIkvd-i5oxyHZv0ib2DEwMkt5IrEgvip0BLfRgnOfp9lxwig=w960-h720-no?.jpg

This is exactly what happened to me 2 days ago while I was 511 miles from home. Stopped for gas and see oil dripping everywhere. Check the bike and see the end of the filter is leaking oil. Back tire partially covered with oil. Great. Middle of nowhere, hot out and I don't know anyone around.

Prior to this I have been using K&N filters on this bike since day 1. That's over obviously. Was able to get the bike to an auto parts store and pick up a Bosch. They are actually cheaper than the K&N also. I should have listened to everyone.

Don't be like me. Stop using these filters today. Don't wait for the failure to happen. I'm lucky nothing bad happened to me or the bike. Could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have been using my reusable scotts for a few years now myself, and I get a jug of oil at wally world - mobile one 10w40. My buddy Mark did a lot of research on viscosity ratings and such and he spends the 8 bucks a quart on mobile one mtx 4stroke motorcycle oil - me I think its wasting money however I change my oil every 3k unless I am on a 5k trip or somthing where changing oil is unfeasable.
gallery_491_2692_171840.jpg
gallery_491_2692_98579.jpg
gallery_491_2692_14318.jpg

I used one identical to HS's by PC FLO. Someone else on here also uses it as does a colleague of mine in Spain. 100s of 1000s of Km with no issues.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/73708-reusable-oil-filter/#comment-871719

• 7 months later...

For those in Aus. I've used Ryco Z411 filters on my 5th Gen. A bit longer than stock, a bit cheaper than OEM. Granted, I change them reasonably regularly, but no issues so far.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

Cool to see this decade old thread still going!

Thanks all.

BR - it’s cool to come back after a year or so and see some things haven’t changed... it’s quite comforting actually.

I’m glad to see your still around! I look forward to connecting and catching up on a ride someday

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/13/2016 at 11:32 AM, mello dude said:

Because there are better choices than the OEM Honda filter for less money.

Check the - calsci site.

"Better" is anecdotal.  Apparently, the war on poverty was lost.  

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

New to VFR's but will relate to Purolators or Bosch leaking on my FJR..... not an issue on an ST1300 BTW.  A couple of years ago there was a redesign by Purolator (who make the Bosch, owned by Bosch), the end cap was made into an outie vs. the old innie.  There isn't enough depth to allow the filter to seal on some bikes, depending on their filter adapter, very simply, you can't screw it on far enough to compress the seal enough.  So, I'm not sure what the filter adapter on a VFR is depth-wise into the block...  the fix of course is to use somebody else's filters.  On the FJR, removed the filter adapter, shaved some material off the face of the hex..... by the parts diagrams, doesn't look like the Honda one has a hex... hmmm.

PS - I have cut apart a few filters, will say that Calsci data is old and incorrect.  I would not recommend today's Supertech's from Walmart, manufacturer has changed, they are crap now.  Champion is gone.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, raYzerman said:

So, I'm not sure what the filter adapter on a VFR is depth-wise into the block...  the fix of course is to use somebody else's filters.  On the FJR, removed the filter adapter, shaved some material off the face of the hex..... by the parts diagrams, doesn't look like the Honda one has a hex... hmmm.

Hi raYzerman. Not sure what you are on about here! Are you saying you shortened the length of your oil filter mounting boss? "Shaved material of the face of the hex" what hex, again are you referring to the oil filter mounting boss? Never heard of anyone needing to do that!

For what it's worth, I've never had issues with HiFlo or OEM filters, and won't go near a K&N with the so called removal hex nut spot wielded to its cap. YMMV.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Anyone ever heard of an oil filter causing a problem besides K&N?   I just use OEM's and forget about it. 

I hope everyone knows not to use a K&N oil filter due to the nut on the end having weld failures and spreading oil under the rear wheel while underway.  That could be deadly.  Just say no on K&N oil filters. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi raYzerman. Not sure what you are on about here! Are you saying you shortened the length of your oil filter mounting boss? "Shaved material of the face of the hex" what hex, again are you referring to the oil filter mounting boss? Never heard of anyone needing to do that!

For what it's worth, I've never had issues with HiFlo or OEM filters, and won't go near a K&N with the so called removal hex nut spot wielded to its cap. YMMV.

More of a Yamaha situation where the adapter has a hex (so you can install/remove).  From the VFR parts diagram, looks like no hex, it's just a double threaded pipe (as is Suzuki).  The issue of not sealing was there was not enough depth for the latest "outie" Purolators and Bosch, thus it would not allow complete compression of the filter's gasket.  Merely saying the explanation for a leaking filter on a VFR may be a similar situation of relative depth, I will check further when I get to my next oil change.

• Member Contributer

I'm having a difficult time picturing what you're talking about as well... Are you talking about the actual threaded nipple that the filter screws onto having a hex? 

Personally, I'm not particularly a fan of paying a premium to Honda for products that are identical to things I can get more conveniently for less money. Oil filters, fluids and the like... Do what you like... You certainly won't go wrong with OEM, but a little homework can save you money and time. 

As for K&N, let's just say their marketing department is a lot better than their R&D department! 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, raYzerman said:

More of a Yamaha situation where the adapter has a hex (so you can install/remove).  From the VFR parts diagram, looks like no hex, it's just a double threaded pipe (as is Suzuki).  The issue of not sealing was there was not enough depth for the latest "outie" Purolators and Bosch, thus it would not allow complete compression of the filter's gasket.  Merely saying the explanation for a leaking filter on a VFR may be a similar situation of relative depth, I will check further when I get to my next oil change.

Ok understood.

The VFR does not have a hex on the filter mounting boss, so your concern would be the thread depth on the boss in relation to using the new style of Bosch or Purolator filters! 

I guess this change to the filter design on the Bosch and Purolators must have caused havoc for FJR owners who used them! Inexcusable for Bosch and Purolator to make this change knowing it could adversely effect proper sealing on particular bikes like the FJR. 

In this case, sticking with the OEM might be the better, and safer option!

Cheers.