2000 Vfr 800 Fi Won't Start

Guest surfales

Guest surfales

I'm the 3rd person to try to get this bike started. I took the gast tank completely off, sprayed some quick-start in the intake, didn't start so must be spark. I checked for battery voltage to the coil...0 volts so coils are not getting juice. Any suggestions what to check next? Is there a way to check the ECM?

• Member Contributer
I'm the 3rd person to try to get this bike started. I took the gast tank completely off, sprayed some quick-start in the intake, didn't start so must be spark. I checked for battery voltage to the coil...0 volts so coils are not getting juice. Any suggestions what to check next? Is there a way to check the ECM?

This could be the Regulator Rectifier Or R/R as referred to here on VFRD When my bike burned out its R/R it did the same thing. This is a common problem for 5th gen VFRs Do a site search for R/R and you will find a few fixs. I used the R1 R/R fix and it works great. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the method I used. Geo

• Member Contributer

I haven't tried this personally but there is a trick you can do with a jumper wire to get the diagnostic code that points you in the direction of the problem. It should work for this since it appears to be electrical. Could be many things other than the aforementioned R/R. When you turn on the ignition switch watch the FI lamp and if it blinks, count the number of times it blinks. If it comes on and stays on it means there is a problem but not specific. If it doesn't come on you're on your own. This is detailed in section 5 of the service manual. Good luck.

The Factory Service Manual is available here in the Downloads section! :thumbsup:

Thanks. The previous guys changed a lot of things, wiring harness, R/R (got the fins on it now), relays...but not the ECM I read a ECM troubleshooting procedure to unplug the ecm then check for battery voltage at the coils if no voltage ECM bad. I'll try this next. If it's not the ECM, maybe impulse do-hickey in the right side engine cover.

Archived