The Dreaded Post

• Member Contributer

I forgot to ask!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXTRA PLASTIC FOR A 2002?

I might even go for a new color, maybe custom! I need a left lower and a front... but I could probably buff out the front.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CUSSING BELOW

DOUBLE CRAP SHITTY POO POOP-A-DOOP!

On the way home from work on Friday. Me + Wet leaves = CRASH! I feel like such a moron. I was pulling in to the alley behind my house at jogging speed, and I decided to turn around to go and show an out-of-town friend my Interceptor. You know, 'cause I am so proud of it, even after all these years. The honeymoon is not over.

I grab some brakes to slow down, and I am on the wet leaves (it's dark outside)... It's like ice.

So I post this as a warning. Watch out for wet leaves (duh).

I was so heartbroken, I woke up Sat morning, and just rode over to Honda. I was too emotional to think about it... I was like, just fix it, I can't bear to see it anymore.

Left lever, shifter, left fairing, front fairing, no tank damage (pwhew!) My nice Throttle Meister snapped off. Mirror just folded.

I wonder if I should just do the Ron Ayers thing, and fix it myself. The left rear fairing mounting bolt is bent back, I don't know what to do about that.

I have a bruised sensitive area on the left side of my chest, but I think that when the adrenaline was pumping, I lifted the bike (fully fueled) off the ground. Like... really easily... I may have just pulled something.

I guess given how easy putting on new body panels, the half price you pay for parts at ron ayers and how much I don't trust dealership mechanics, I would definitely say you should do it yourself.

• Member Contributer
I guess given how easy putting on new body panels, the half price you pay for parts at ron ayers and how much I don't trust dealership mechanics, I would definitely say you should do it yourself.

:goofy:

Definately do it your self.

No need to add rape by the dealership to the list of damage...

• Member Contributer

All I gotta say is ..........

What is under that new sticker on your bike??

med_gallery_2144_2760_98889.jpg

Makes it even worse when you do it to yourself........I know. And get the parts and do it at home!

:goofy:

Definately do it your self.

No need to add rape by the dealership to the list of damage...

Really

I had a drop like that the day that I left for T-mac '07. I was turning my bike around on my buddies asphalt drive way, it is a very smooth surface anyway, I put my left foot down on some wet leaves causing my foot to slip and the bike to fall over on me. It sucked but there wasn't much I could have done differently.

I forgot to take my disk lock off the other day, and nearly dropped it. Bike didn't hit the ground (thankfully), but I did feel like a tool.

SOrry to hear about your misfortune. I agree that DIY will save some coin...

• Member Contributer
Do it yourself, and check out servicehonda.com! :thumbsup:

+1.gif and Service Honda is less expensive than Ron Ayers.

• Member Contributer

I can't get servicehonda.com to work. Does anyone else have that problem?

You know that side fairing mounting screw at the rearmost part of the fairing? That thing is bent pretty bad, and the faring is all cracked. Do you think I can just replace the screw? I'm sure they are designed to fail at the screw and not the frame, right?

I am kind of scared about replacing the front fairing. Is it hard? ...lights and all that...

• Member Contributer
Do it yourself, and check out servicehonda.com! :thumbsup:

+1.gif and Service Honda is less expensive than Ron Ayers.

+1.gif

+1.gifNope.

You know that side fairing mounting screw at the rearmost part of the fairing? That thing is bent pretty bad, and the faring is all cracked. Do you think I can just replace the screw? I'm sure they are designed to fail at the screw and not the frame, right?

USUALLY, they can be bent back. Threads USUALLY, aren't a problem.

I am kind of scared about replacing the front fairing. Is it hard? ...lights and all that...

Never did it, myself, but lots do. Don't think you'll need any special tools.

Sorry to not be more help. Glad you didn't get hurt badly.

try this one too. prices seem fair:

http://hondaparts-direct.com/

Look at it this way, you finally figured out what your winter project will be!

It ould be a good time to get that bike totally naked, cleaned and detailed back to showroom condition so it will feel like you got a new one come springtime!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

It doeszn't work with Vista for me. XP, 98 seem to work, though.

So sorry about the fall, I vote for you pulling something getting her up. Adrenaline is not always your friend. I think DYI is the only way to go, at least price the parts and compare to the price the dealer gives you.

I use Hondaparts-direct.com. Very good people to deal with. Just follow the rules on the website and all will go smooth and less expensive than other sources.

CUSSING BELOW

DOUBLE CRAP SHITTY POO POOP-A-DOOP!.....

I was so heartbroken, I woke up Sat morning, and just rode over to Honda. I was too emotional to think about it... I was like, just fix it, I can't bear to see it anymore. .......

Not trying to minimize your pain; but, after enough bikes and enough mishaps you learn to take it in stride. It is only a man made machine and it almost always is fixable and if not fixable it always is replaceable.

The real pain comes in the form of $ :lol:

• Member Contributer

Also check out bikebandit.com. They just gave me a coupon code for 15% off.

bikebandit is the code. Should be good for about 5 more days from what I remember them telling me.

Good Luck!

no idea if its alike, but I have a 6th gen and have had all the fairings off, including the front to install HID lights. I downloaded the service manual at vfrworld.com and it was a snap. I am sure they probably have the manual for 5th gen here or there. Check it out. No special tools, might want a friend to hold stuff while you diddle around, but you can Deeeefinitely do it yourself.

go getem.

I shed a tear now in advance for the day that i tip over my lovely bike.

Sorry to hear about the low speed drop, Duke. I've dropped my bike twice, fortunately with little or no damage each time. From what you described, replacing those parts shouldn't be too difficult, plus you'll save money on parts if you buy them on the web and do the work yourself.

It IS a 6th gen...... the body panels and cowling are a snap.

It's like a lot of things; intrepidation about trying something for the first time. +1.gif

Isn't there a service manual on the site for download?

As for the rear cowling bracket, for the price, I'd replace it if it's bent.

Time heals pain of the heart. sad.gif

Actually, you are now one of the 'IN' crowd.... :P

Ain't that right, certain MOD????? +1.gif

Greg

What do ya think the 'D' stands for?gallery_8015_3519_1926.jpg

I 'LAID' MY VFR ( ? ) TIMES!

Member since '06 +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Did something similar at about 65 on the fwy. Minor damage cost about

$500. Small little ding in the tank hidden under tank bra. Filled tail sections with crazy glue and feathered out the scratches. Polished the shifter knob. Replaced the clutch lever. Replaced side panel and associated turnsignal and mirror. Filled and sanded minor scratches on upper. One can of touch up spray paint and clear coat. I locked up my front wheel on center lane road slime. I was just about to add a slip on exhaust when this happened. I can share your grief. Live and learn. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Don't feel bad...it could be worse...

I won't lie. I dropped my bike last Friday.

The very best way possible....

Was I railing and hit unseen sand? Nope....

I was in such a hurry to get off the bike and into work, I didn't put the sidestand down. At all.

+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif :huh: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid:

I deserve each of those squid.

Now, I have to retrain my body memory so that each step,

STOP

NEUTRAL

SIDESTAND

LOCK FORK

REMOVE KEY

are broken into separate, slower tasks, so this never happens again.

I feel better having come clean about this, in front of all of you.

Can I have a hug now?

• Member Contributer
Don't feel bad...it could be worse...

I won't lie. I dropped my bike last Friday.

The very best way possible....

Was I railing and hit unseen sand? Nope....

I was in such a hurry to get off the bike and into work, I didn't put the sidestand down. At all.

:squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid: :squid:

I deserve each of those squid.

Now, I have to retrain my body memory so that each step,

STOP

NEUTRAL

SIDESTAND

LOCK FORK

REMOVE KEY

are broken into separate, slower tasks, so this never happens again.

I feel better having come clean about this, in front of all of you.

Can I have a hug now?

Same picture......watched a guy ride up on a Kawasaki 500, stop, and fall over as he started to get off because of not putting down the kickstand at the Krystal last night. Glad he parked to the left of the Gold Wing and fell into a Camry instead. We helped him with the bike while he was busy with the Decherd policeman and the "scratched door" Camry owner. Invited him to sit with us. I also calmed the Camry owner, who turned out to be my Algebra 2 teacher(Yes, before anyone starts, some of em' are still alive........ :P ). Back to the rider....First day, on his first(Christmas present to himself)ever bike. I hope he takes the MSF course and buys gear after my "long-winded-skuuterscussion" over Chili. Nice guy, 42 years old, married, 2 kids. Living in Harmony mean't he had about a 20 mile ride through the country on twisty Hwy 50 to get home at night....not a good picture under the above mentioned conditions. Needless to say, we took the "long way" home last night using the Gold Wing headlights to "blaze the trail" for both bikes.............at least he remembered to put the kickstand down in his driveway......... :thumbsup:

Archived