Adding Superbike Bars To Your Bike

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

I did the LSL riser because it gives the option to go back to stock or Heli risers without sourcing a new top clamp. I suppose you could just put some type of plug in the holes though....Honda 599/919 bars worked for me as they were already punched for the indexing pin on the switch gear and the bars that came with the kit from Spiegler were still too low for me. I had to reroute clutch hose behind forktube so bleeding is required, and the throttle cable was disconnected at throttle body and rerouted as well. I like having a 7/8 bar to mount GPS, power outlet and controller for Gerbing jacket.

• Like 1

According to this wikipedia article a slightly modified version (e.g. chain drive instead of shaft drive) was sold in the US with the name Hawk GT.

My notes show the top yoke dimensions of the 5th gen are the same as that of the 3rd and 4th gen so the NTV yoke should also fit the 5th gen VFR.

NTV650 = Deauville

The NTV650 Deauville is the succesor of the NTV650 and might have the same dimensions top yoke. The dash in the previous NTV650 pic obscures some of the yoke so it is hard to tell if they are different. The yoke of the Deauville you posted looks exactly the same as that of the top yoke a member of the Dutch VFROC put on his 3rd gen. The yoke was sold to him as being from an NTV650.

NTV650 (Deauville) top yoke on a 3rd gen VFR fork:

vfr_ntv.jpg

foto2.jpg

edit: Found a pic of a cleaned up NTV650 yoke and it has two extra tabs to hold the dash. So it seems Veefer800canuck is right and the correct yoke comes from a NTV650 Deauville.

gallery_5310_4809_149885.jpg

Bottom yoke in the picture is from a NTV650

One member has already done this mod on his sixth gen. Lots of info in the thread. Tim's a great guy and if you sent a PM I'm sure he'd help you out.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/41723-vfr-triple-clamp-project/?view=findpost&p=505672

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deeds

What size and type bolts hold the top triple in place next to the ignition? I can't seem to get at them.

Well, looks like they are Torx, and I managed to strip one of them. I also don't have the right size Torx bits. WHY, HONDA, WHY?? Guess I am at an impasse until I can find my way around them. Can't drill them out, either, because there won't be enough room to get a drill in there.

Edited by Deeds

What size and type bolts hold the top triple in place next to the ignition? I can't seem to get at them.

Well, looks like they are Torx, and I managed to strip one of them. I also don't have the right size Torx bits. WHY, HONDA, WHY?? Guess I am at an impasse until I can find my way around them. Can't drill them out, either, because there won't be enough room to get a drill in there.

what part of Virginia?

Guest Deeds

what part of Virginia?

I am in Virginia Beach. I managed to get the top triple off. I just disconnected the ignition and pulled the whole thing out. I drilled the holes slightly off, so the bar will end up being crooked by maybe 1 degree. Oh well, that won't bother me much since I will be getting a LSL kit in the coming months to replace everything.

what part of Virginia?

I am in Virginia Beach. I managed to get the top triple off. I just disconnected the ignition and pulled the whole thing out. I drilled the holes slightly off, so the bar will end up being crooked by maybe 1 degree. Oh well, that won't bother me much since I will be getting a LSL kit in the coming months to replace everything.

I would like to see what you have done before I mess up... :goofy:

Guest Deeds

Just finished the installation and a test ride. It's great! Feels MUCH more comfortable, and I feel like I have more control over the bike with the higher seating and greater leverage over the front wheel. I used ST1300 cables I copped off ebay for cheap, and they had plenty of reach (with a little bit extra). I have yet to get some bar ends that fit (I don't want to pay the $40 price for the Renthal ends(there aren't any noticeable vibrations, anyway)), and the holes I drilled in the top triple are ever so slightly off (will be corrected with a Dremel), but this works well as a temporary fix. I will be getting the LSL kit in the future, anyway. I am riding out to West Virginia next weekend (5 or so hours or riding), so I am excited to see how well they work.

Just finished the installation and a test ride. It's great! Feels MUCH more comfortable, and I feel like I have more control over the bike with the higher seating and greater leverage over the front wheel. I used ST1300 cables I copped off ebay for cheap, and they had plenty of reach (with a little bit extra). I have yet to get some bar ends that fit (I don't want to pay the $40 price for the Renthal ends(there aren't any noticeable vibrations, anyway)), and the holes I drilled in the top triple are ever so slightly off (will be corrected with a Dremel), but this works well as a temporary fix. I will be getting the LSL kit in the future, anyway. I am riding out to West Virginia next weekend (5 or so hours or riding), so I am excited to see how well they work.

You can use any 14mm bar end :)

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I wish I had time to source parts and do this mod before I take my 2,500 mile trip from KY to CT & NH and back again. I might have to do this soon.

• Member Contributer

I've noticed that people recommended two different options for longer throttle cables (ST1100 and ST1300). Would either of those work? Do i definitely need them if I go with a 22 mm riser and Renthal 756 bars on a 6th gen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Come to find out, ST1100 throttle cables are roughly the same size as our 6th gen cables.So they won't fit with my superbar set up
(I found this out after doing a ton of work setting up a superbar system only to have to set it all back to stock). Does anyone know the length of ST1300 cables or if they are 4-5" longer than stock VFR cables?

• 2 weeks later...

Makes it look like wheelbarrow in my opinion. Each to his own.

I would certainly use a color less conspicuous than gold.

Other than that, I don't think tall handlebars are too out of place on a VFR. The police VFR750P/800P look just fine... except for the mirrors maybe.

I was seriously considering the handlebar mod myself, but I think I'm starting to get used to the stock clip-ons.

You guys bring up another benefit: you can run whatever color and bar bend you want or even go old skool chrome. Here's another pic of a black bar I've used:

KG9K7937.jpg

I prefer the gold bar on my vfr as it picks up the gold engine cover and 6 piston calipers quite nicely IMNSHO. :salesman:

IMG_9233.jpg

What are the make of the satin silver bar clamps? WHere did you buy them?

Tman