• Member Contributer

Release date: June 15, 2007 GREENVILLE, S.C. --

Dot Marking Illustrations

DOT_code1.jpg

Tire Manufacturing Location, Size and Brand Information

DOT_code2.jpg

"Made in France"

Downloads

Michelin has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada that it is recalling Michelin® Pilot® Power 2CT and Pilot® Power 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) front motorcycle tires with the "Made in France" markings in the United States and Canada. This recall involves these specific tires only and has no impact on any other Michelin tires. Related actions are under way in other countries.

An examination of these tires showed a possible defect in the tread due to a manufacturing irregularity. No cases of pressure loss have been reported and no accidents have occurred.

Because rider safety is the primary concern, Michelin has decided as a precaution to replace the 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Michelin Pilot Power front tires, which can be identified by the following markings on the sidewall:

• a "Made in France" label
  • DOT 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T

Any consumer in the United States or Canada who believes they are affected by the recall should not wait to receive notification but should call Michelin Consumer Relations at 1 866 324 2835.

The company will be replacing all potentially affected tires in a comprehensive commitment to retrieve from the market any tire that does not meet Michelin quality standards. Replacement tires are available at no cost (including mounting and balancing) to consumers through participating Michelin® motorcycle tire servicing retailers.

About Michelin

Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks, motorcycles and the space shuttle. The company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelin.com) employs more than 22,000 and operates 19 major manufacturing plants in 17 locations.

NOTE TO EDITOR: Attached is an illustration of how to read a sidewall DOT code to assist consumers in determining if their tires are affected by the recall.

About the DOT Code and Tire Identification Number

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) markings serve as the tire's fingerprint and signify compliance with U.S. Tire Safety Standards. The DOT code can be found on the sidewall right above the rim printed in small type less than half an inch tall.

Make sure your tire is of the make and model:

Michelin® Pilot® Power 2CT or Michelin® Pilot® Power 120/70 ZR 17 (58W)

Then, look for a DOT code 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T on the sidewall.

If you are having difficulty identifying your tire's DOT code, please ask your local tire dealer to assist you or call Michelin Consumer Relations at 1 866 324 2835.

• Member Contributer

My new bike just came with Pilot Powers................... :blink: ...not good news.......... :goofy:

And 2CT's.

PARIS, June 15 (Reuters) - French tyre group Michelin (MICP.PA: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Friday it was recalling some 68,000 motorbike tyres after finding a possible defect in their tread due to a manufacturing fault.

The company said it would recall the Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Power 120/70 ZR 17 front motorcycle tyres. A Michelin spokeswoman said the recall would affect tyres sold in 40 countries in north America and Europe.

Michelin added no accidents had occured as a result of the fault.

• Member Contributer

:joystick:

Interesting....I just got Pilot Powers....

Guess I better go get some miles on that front tire before it falls apart?

• Member Contributer
http://tinyurl.com/2kw55z

More to come I'm sure.

I called Michelin USA:

Consumer Relations Department Tel : 1-800-847-3435

P.O. Box 19001

Greenville, SC 29602-9001

I called and asked about PP 2Cts. I didn't ask about pilot powers.

They told me the affected tires have "Made in France" on the sidewall and bare either of the following DOT Nos.

6UCW980T

6UCW979T

One serial number may well be for the 2Cts, the other for the regular powers.

If you have one, a dealer will replace it at no cost. :thumbsup:

The shop said my front is affected. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

dang, there goes that new front... FYI i bought it before t-mac, so some of those tires have been out for a few weeks!

• Member Contributer

Not sure of the accuracy of the report, but I read over on a Triumph (Europe) forum that the recall stemmed from a tread from carcass seperation, but non have de-flated from the problem. All I've read, and haven't had time to make any phone calls.....maybe someone else can come up with something more "detailed".................. :wheel:

• Member Contributer
It's a good thing my front tire is not on the ground much! :wheel:

:wheel: :wheel:

It's a good thing my bike is busted! crackup.gif

Found this on another site.

Reuters link to PP recall

Another site? Are there other sites on the internet? :goofy:

Interesting though. I just put Corsa IIIs on my bike but while I was at the dealership today a guy was having a Pilot Power mounted. Wonder if he's heard about this! Good find.

• Member Contributer

Interesting...I just got a new set of PPs put on today. I wonder how they will handle the recall? Free new front tire and we pay for the mount/balance?

Well... just found my 2CT fell into the range. Time to call the guy who just bought my fifth gen, as I put brand new pilot powers on it for him.

(((EDIT)))

Well, the VFR is fine, the front on my GSXR is fine... but the 2CT's I had on the shelf for the next track day is effected.

• Member Contributer
Found this on another site.

Reuters link to PP recall

Another site? Are there other sites on the internet? :huh:

Interesting though. I just put Corsa IIIs on my bike but while I was at the dealership today a guy was having a Pilot Power mounted. Wonder if he's heard about this! Good find.

Oxmole, it was purely by accident that I happened upon another site...I think my wife was playing on the laptop yesterday and must have bookmarked some sites! :goofy:

I have Diablo Strada's that came in a value meal with some pretty good sized chicken strips! :goofy:

But I know a lot of folks here like the Pilot Powers and thought our stock front size was 120/70x17 so I posted the info right before the laptop battery died.

Oh, and I completely missed the other thread about this because I was trying to post before my battery died. So if HS or one of the mods wants to merge the threads or delete this one as a duplicate that's fine by me.

Of course, it's the day after the recall, but I've got a trip coming up. I don't want to be riding around on a recalled front tire. So, I starting calling places. I called the following shops in St. Louis and no one even knew about it yet. Michelin gave me most of these places to call (with the exception of Motorrad and Honda).

• Donelson Cycles (both the St. Ann and Affton locations) - were not very nice or patient
  • Rich's Cycle - does not deal many Michelins anymore, not patient
  • Motorrad of STL - does not carry Michelin, but was nice and interested in the recall
  • STL Honda Motorsports - does not carry Michelin, indifferent reaction to my inquiry
  • Niehaus in Litchfield, IL - carries Michelin, did not know about recall, very nice, has started some research into it to see what they can do

If anyone in or around STL knows more places I should try, let me know.

Jeez, I feel real lucky... I have been inactive on VFRD for the past few months and just stumbled across this yesterday because I was tired of doing real work at work... :goofy:

I'll keep trying places around here and post as much info as possible for the STL VFRD'rs

• Member Contributer
I just got a brand new front on, luckily it was made in Spain. :thumbsup:

Spain here too..good find lizard.

H'mm I had to replace my last Front Powers at my cost after only 4000kms as it developed a strange vibration which increased with frequency with speed.

On visual inspection it looked fine and a trip back to the Tyre dealer on the balancing machine confirmed wasn't actually balance related.

Odd really as the previous 2 sets and current replacment Pilot Powers front have been fine. ?? :beer:

• Member Contributer

Dang... I got my 2cts when they first came out.... and my numbers match exactly.

Wait... this is a good thing, I've got plenty of wear on it... and I get a new one for free!

Happy Fathers Day!

• Member Contributer

Figures I have a damn track day in 1 week and just put the tires on Thursday, now I have to pull it off again. I went for a ride and mine has a strange vibration in the front that's annoying as all get out, I'm hoping someone has them in stock so I can get another mounted before the weekend.

Archived