Pilot Powers Air Pressures

skuuter

• Member Contributer

Right now on the Speed Triple I'm running 40# rear and 38# front air pressures on the Pilot Powers and am pretty content. These numbers represent lower pressures than I normally run. Just curious how low R/F pressures some of you have ran on these tires on the street in case I decide to go lower. I know different bikes are a major factor, because I tried this same combo on the lowered VFR and didn't like it at all. Has anyone running lower pressures ever shot them with a temp gun. I carry mine with me on tire "experiments" just for a good comparison.......Thanks........ :thumbsup:

I run 38 front & 42 rear - feels "right" to me. A mate of mine runs 36 & 40 on a ZX9 Kawasaki and is satisfied that is what suits his bike best.

• Member Contributer
I run 30 30 at the track and 32f 33-34r on the street on PP 2ct

This surprises me, because the recommended tire pressure is considerably higher.

front: 36

rear: 42

Are the powers different from other tires for some reason?

front: 36

rear: 42

Are the powers different from other tires for some reason?

Thats what I've always run them at since my first set in 2004, works for me.

• Member Contributer

That's what I was interested in....how low some folks have ran PP and them still feel "right" and still maintain structural integrity and "reasonable" life expectancy...................... :thumbsup:

I've never had a grip/traction problem running them at 34/40- 36/42 and they should last longer with the higher pressures.

I don't see why you would want to run lower pressures unless you were trying to gain some grip and that should never be an issue with the PP's IMO! :unsure:

Supposedly the best way to set pressures is to strive for a 10 % gain from cold to hot (or something like that) pressure. That should be close to the ideal pressure for you, your bike and riding style. :goofy:

I know this has probably been posted a hundred times but here goes again.......36f 42r is manufacturers recommended pressures for MAX LOAD ONLY! Tire pressures change based on need only for a given set of circumstances. If you have a passenger and/or alot of gear (touring) your going to need higher pressure. If you commute mostly you will get a little better wear with a higher pressure but it should not be 36 42 that is much to high unless you are under max load in addition to the fact that running that high pressure with sacrifice ride smoothness. I use 30 30 at the track for better grip and the pressures rise because the tires are getting very hot. I run 32-33 on the street because I still only care about grip as I do not commute.

So remember tires pressures=a given set of conditions for which you are riding and should change accordingly!

• Member Contributer

The S-3 feels real good with the 40/38 combo....heat/ air gain is also real good....have been primarily thinking of going down some more on the front just for "knowledge" purposes. I tried 38 and up to 44 on the rear and 40 seems to be optimum for me. Didn't wanna' try a too-low that someone has definetly reached a limit at. With the short wheelbase/ steep rake/ trail numbers, the bike has plenty of quick turn in. The "dummy" rider is still working on the habit of starting the turn too soon on this bike. It seems to like it better if you run up closer to the turn, "drop" the bike and square it off. Really feels good everytime I do it "right"(about 70-80% of the time, but we're gradually getting on the same page)............ :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I run 34-36 front and 40-42 rear on the street for longer life.

At the track I think I usually run like 32 front and 30 rear for faster warm up and more grip via larger contact patch and higher temperature.

• Member Contributer

At the track I think I usually run like 32 front and 30 rear for faster warm up and more grip via larger contact patch and higher temperature.

THANKS Jeremy, this gives me a definite number range that's been tried. Question: On the track with 30 in the rear, when you first enter a corner or just at the split second you pick up the throttle, do you not get that "squirmy, vague feeling" ??? Whenever I try running below about 40 in a rear tire on the street it seems to be about the point I start feeling this. Maybe because of the "slower" speeds I'm running on the street. I've driven dirt oval cars with as little as 8 lbs in a tire (LR), but slower street driving would feel like a flat...possibly the same situation. Have you ever ran the track pressures on the street at "medium/ reasonable" speeds ???................. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

THANKS Jeremy, this gives me a definite number range that's been tried. Question: On the track with 30 in the rear, when you first enter a corner or just at the split second you pick up the throttle, do you not get that "squirmy, vague feeling" ??? Whenever I try running below about 40 in a rear tire on the street it seems to be about the point I start feeling this. Maybe because of the "slower" speeds I'm running on the street. I've driven dirt oval cars with as little as 8 lbs in a tire (LR), but slower street driving would feel like a flat...possibly the same situation. Have you ever ran the track pressures on the street at "medium/ reasonable" speeds ???................. :thumbsup:

To tell the truth, I have never really noticed much of a squirmy feeling, there is a LOT more grip, as I accidentally ran street pressure one session and was sliding all over the place even after a couple laps.

I have run too low a pressure on the street in the twisties once, probably about 36 psi or so. It felt good, but it melted the rear tire - balled up rubber and it was nearly worn out in a little over 1000 miles. Doug said I was leaving big black marks in every turn.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again Jeremy.................... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I had 20 psi in my rear tire goin up Blood mtn @ Tmac, that sucked. Stupid nail.

Not good at all.................. <_<

Archived