Here are some basics ride guidlines for everyone attending the TexasMac.

1. Read and use "The PACE". This is the type of riding we expect at the Tmac. Hanging off is OK(mostly faster groups). (from Sebs recent post)

The pace is posted here

2. Every rider should start with a FULL Tank of Gas. Fill up prior to showing up to the Ride Meeting/ breakfast Friday & Saturday mornings! Not gas up afterward its best to gas up at the end of the day then you dont have to worry about it in the morning!

3. Top off your fuel at every fuel stop No matter if it's only a gallon or two everyone! Stops are based on the group needs and distance between fuel stops, having to make an extra stop because some clown doesn't follow the guidelines is a very Bad thing.

4. Never pull off/ turn around/leave your group without telling someone. Signal somebody in your group what you are doing and why! Each group should never loose a member for any reason, communicate your needs and make sure your entire group stays together.

5. Do Not tail-gate other riders, there are thousands of blind turns in this area and the last thing we need is to have a rider make a great panic stop to avoid something only to be run over by the rider behind him! Leave a safe margin, but do not lag to far behind either.

6. When passing a car try not to piss them off or scare them , there are many of our friends also needing to pass this cage. Please try to respect everyone else out on the road, our sport depends on it. There will always be the one crazy cage driver, be careful and get around/away from them as quickly as possible.

7. Passing: Do NOT go just because the rider in front of you goes!!! size up every pass yourself for how much open road you can see, how much time you have, how much distance is availible to pass, do it safely and quickly. Dont make a pass that would be considered "close"!!! Passing cages will most likely be the most dangerous part of our event, please be cautious. It is not a race to pass cagers!

8. Pegs up at 9:00 am both days, please be fueled up, fed and be there early enough to get assigned to a ride group before 9am.

9. Never cross the centerline except to pass. If you have to cross/cut corners to maintain your pace, you are going faster than your skill level. If you can't stay in your lane your riding over your head! SLOW Down!!! Staying right of the line adds a significant challenge to most roads and is mandatory for sport riding's future. Don't crowd the centerline Always expect an oncoming car with two wheels in your lane.

Maybe more to come. :blink:

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Can we add "Do not kick road debris!" :rolleyes:

This seemed like common sense, but we had it happen at the Bristol ride TWICE! The box with an attitude almost took a few of us out when it made its way back into the road. It was funny only because nothing bad happened. The pictures and re-enactment were great, too!

Can we add "Do not kick road debris!" :blink:

Actually I will try to kick something on-line off the road if I think I can so the guys behind won't have to deal with it, but it is hard to know where the item might end up going.

At on NC running along 129 below the dragon, I saw a cardboard box laying in the middle of the road. It was maybe 2' square and only a few inches tall so I thought no problem, I'm just brush it off the road with my foot.

Only problem as it was not empty, must have been one of those pressed wood furniture kits as it weighed at least 40-50 lbs. When my foot hit it, it did Not move and it almost ripped me off the bike. My toes were smashed in my boot as I barely was able to stay on the bike.

Not fun or smart! :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Most cars & bikes Cut the corners in the Mtns. Just expect someone to be in your lane around every blind turn and you'll have a better chance out there!

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

You are somewhat responsible for the rider behind you. If he or she has a problem, the best way to communicate that to the lead rider or the riders in front of you is to pull over safely. Then the wave will move forward and the entire group will stop and be able to stay together.

You are somewhat responsible for the rider behind you. If he or she has a problem, the best way to communicate that to the lead rider or the riders in front of you is to pull over safely. Then the wave will move forward and the entire group will stop and be able to stay together.

Thanks Bob, that's the attitude we want every rider to have, watch out for your fellow rider!

• Member Contributer

Anyone tailgaiting me this year is getting an ear full. Last year a rider no faster than me tailgated the hell out of me (and everyone else, I noticed) until I deliberately let him in front at a gas stop. This year I have no intentions of being nice about it. If I (or anyone) am keeping up with the leader then you can back the hell off! :)

• Member Contributer

Good thought on the tailgating issue but discuss at the first stop with the rider in front of and behind you to determine if the gaps are comfortable to them and you.

We are all watching out for each other and it can be as big a PITA constantly bobbing and weaving in your mirror trying to catch a glimpse of the rider who should be behind you as it is to wonder if they are riding a Toyota VFR and have no way of stopping before they plow through you at the next stop sign...

If you are behind me, please stay close enough to see my face shield in the mirror until we stretch out a slightly during the twisty bits. :fing02:

Anyone tailgaiting me this year is getting an ear full. Last year a rider no faster than me tailgated the hell out of me (and everyone else, I noticed) until I deliberately let him in front at a gas stop. This year I have no intentions of being nice about it. If I (or anyone) am keeping up with the leader then you can back the hell off! :)

Nicole, you nor anyone else should put up with tailgating whatsoever!

It's unsafe and More likely to cause a crash or involve more bikes in one! It's unacceptable at a Tmac and if a rider doesn't heed the first warning they should be asked to leave the group !

It's OK to wave them by, But they should be be made aware of their Poor riding habbits ASAP!

Please report this type of crap to your Lead while on the ride and me when you get done, Unsafe riding will NOT be tollorated at the Tmac and offenders will be asked to leave the event!

BR

• 11 months later...

Most cars & bikes Cut the corners in the Mtns. Just expect someone to be in your lane around every blind turn and you'll have a better chance out there!

As a North Carolina local not far from Franklin, I can tell you this is 110% on point, don't think he's saying this just to scare people into riding more safely. Drivers of all types of vehicles around here really have NO RESPECT for the double solid, and WILL be in your lane when you come around a blind corner all the time, count on it. And the majority of these corners are blind.

• 2 years later...

1. Read and use "The PACE". This is the type of riding we expect at the Tmac. Hanging off is OK(mostly faster groups). (from Sebs recent post)
The pace is posted here

2. Every rider should start with a FULL Tank of Gas. Fill up prior to showing up to the Ride Meeting/ breakfast Friday & Saturday mornings! Not gas up afterward its best to gas up at the end of the day then you dont have to worry about it in the morning!

3. Top off your fuel at every fuel stop No matter if it's only a gallon or two everyone! Stops are based on the group needs and distance between fuel stops, having to make an extra stop because some clown doesn't follow the guidelines is a very Bad thing.

4. Never pull off/ turn around/leave your group without telling someone. Signal somebody in your group what you are doing and why! Each group should never loose a member for any reason, communicate your needs and make sure your entire group stays together.

5. Do Not tail-gate other riders, there are thousands of blind turns in this area and the last thing we need is to have a rider make a great panic stop to avoid something only to be run over by the rider behind him! Leave a safe margin, but do not lag to far behind either.

6. When passing a car try not to piss them off or scare them , there are many of our friends also needing to pass this cage. Please try to respect everyone else out on the road, our sport depends on it. There will always be the one crazy cage driver, be careful and get around/away from them as quickly as possible.

7. Passing: Do NOT go just because the rider in front of you goes!!! size up every pass yourself for how much open road you can see, how much time you have, how much distance is availible to pass, do it safely and quickly. Dont make a pass that would be considered "close"!!! Passing cages will most likely be the most dangerous part of our event, please be cautious. It is not a race to pass cagers!

8. Pegs up at 9:00 am both days, please be fueled up, fed and be there early enough to get assigned to a ride group before 9am.

9. Never cross the centerline except to pass. If you have to cross/cut corners to maintain your pace, you are going faster than your skill level. If you can't stay in your lane your riding over your head! SLOW Down!!! Staying right of the line adds a significant challenge to most roads and is mandatory for sport riding's future. Don't crowd the centerline Always expect an oncoming car with two wheels in your lane.

• Member Contributer

You should always do a quick pre-ride check on your bike too. Check tire pressure and general condition of tread. Also check chain slack and make sure your headlights, turn signals, and brake signals work. If you haven't ridden in a group before you should also learn the basic signals used by others in the group to communicate while moving.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

The pace is posted here

So......"THIS" is how it's supposed to be done......I knew I was missing something...this explains a lot..... :goofy:

You should always do a quick pre-ride check on your bike too. Check tire pressure and general condition of tread. Also check chain slack and make sure your headlights, turn signals, and brake signals work. If you haven't ridden in a group before you should also learn the basic signals used by others in the group to communicate while moving.

Rollin

I would second the motion for a 10 min. crash course in hand signs, for everyone in a group ride. Riding with a group just the other week I as well as other riders made hand signals for turning or warning of police, and had several riders who had no idea what was going on. I also know some riders make certain signs and others make others and we all may not know them all so it would be wise to have a few common things established, just to be on the safe side.

-PRB

-PRB

• Member Contributer

How about someone comes up with a set list of signals , puts them here , and all of us go over them before next month?

• Member Contributer

The pace is posted here

So......"THIS" is how it's supposed to be done......I knew I was missing something...this explains a lot..... :goofy:

Hey David, Glad your still hanging around. :beer:

Yep, still hanging, still riding....was down at Leipers Fork weekend before last, and rode out to Clinton.....Great Ride.....Smokies Area Ride coming up this week..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I've finally gotten out and road 401, 375 & 275 mile loops out of Leipers Fork over the last three Sundays! Freaken Awesome! :cheerleader:

Pre Mac Ish I think !!!

• Member Contributer

I've finally gotten out and road 401, 375 & 275 mile loops out of Leipers Fork over the last three Sundays! Freaken Awesome! :cheerleader:

I think mine wound up being about 380 on my Leipers Fork/Clinton Ride including getting Home....Roads were Great..... :beer:

Archived