Rcbvfr Frankenviffer Texas Style

FotoMoto

No you're not, your front wheel is the wrong colour. :lurk:

(look at me talk, mine will be black and silver as of tomorrow!)

Srsly, that looks so sweet. About on par with Toro's bike in the looks department, and really close to VF1000RS' frankenbike. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

gallery_611_2920_89038.jpg

Poke it with a fork, I think it's FINALLY DONE! :fing02:

Really nice job Doug - congrats!

What will you do with all that spare time now? ... :lurk:

Guest vfrrider

Doug,

Need a nice clear pic of the front fairing to tank region where the CBR600RR has that air intake fairing. Need to see how it fits for my RC211V project.

By the way, NIZE. :fing02:

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

THANKS guys. :cool:

Yeah, there will always be something more to do to it but sometimes you just got to say, THAT'S IT! :unsure:

Probably time to move on to something else. :bliss: <--- Like this guy I'm just not sure where. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

For starters, good job (as usual.)

I don't know whether I just now noticed it or I forgot: The bike's got handlebars?!

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried to put another bike's bodywork on a 6th gen. VFR? I would think an RC51 would be a good place to start (and since you once owned both bikes, maybe you tried it.)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tarun

For starters, good job (as usual.)

I don't know whether I just now noticed it or I forgot: The bike's got handlebars?!

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried to put another bike's bodywork on a 6th gen. VFR? I would think an RC51 would be a good place to start (and since you once owned both bikes, maybe you tried it.)

Ha, I came here to ask whether something like this could be done to a 5th gen... I'd like a more modern look, but I really want a v4.

• Member Contributer

Ha, I came here to ask whether something like this could be done to a 5th gen... I'd like a more modern look, but I really want a v4.

I would think you might have issues with the side radiator airflow and cbr fairings. RC51's have side rads but one member (Kevin Perham) said they don't fit. Dunno' myself.

• 1 month later...

i cant get this wiring down, i got all the colors matched up except off the vfr i got grey/black, blue/black, yellow/black, and then off the cbr i got white/green, grey, white, and white/blue? can someone HELP!

nevermind i got it all to work, all i need now is to hook up the v4 speedohealer, and install the 3 lead temp sensor, then after that try to figure out how the hell to get the gas gauge to work right...hmmm any ideas? and what year and model is this 3 lead temp sensor i need so i can get that already?

• Member Contributer

The 4gen has both a fuel level gauge and "reserve" light. The cbr1000 gauge only has a low fuel light. So, on the schematic you will need to trace the three vfr wires coming from the tank sending unit and see which one goes to the reserve bulb. That's the wire you'll connect to the the cbr unit. You don't need to buy or adapt anything. The other two vfr wires won't be used. The cbr low fuel light should come on with about 1 gal left.

Good luck and lets see some pics!

• Member Contributer

Looks great Doug. I also like the 05 06 front, (the black directs the air right at the oil cooler and looks almost OEM) looks a little cleaner and flows better with the lines. Plus I love the new side covers, I still have not messed with my side panels yet. I wish we could get both our bikes together sometime for some pictures.

I thank you again for your help on my build.

Travis

• 1 month later...

The footpeg hangers are about 1 to 1.5mm off in bolt spacing but slightly enlarging the holes of the RC units with the next size drill bit did the trick. The rubber footpegs are aftermarket as the stock RC pegs are bare metal. Gear change assembly went on easily; I only had to space the entire mount out about 20mm for the shift rod to clear the frame spar. NOTE: with a shorter rod you could easily go to GP shift if you prefer.

vfr005-Copy.jpg

The rear brake side also bolted on after enlarging the holes but the heat shield needs adjusting. There is a gap at the front letting out more heat so I'll need to address that; probably with a CF solution. I still need to cut off the large holes on both sides. These were the mid-pipe exhaust mounts on the RC and aren't needed here.

vfr004-Copy.jpg

I just got a set of RC51 rearsets to try out - I found that I would have had to open the holes up more than I would like in order to get them to fit. They are more than a mm or two off. I'll measure tonight and post numbers in a new thread for reference.

The kicker is that installing these lowers the pegs from the stock position. If anyone is looking to raise the pegs, these are not your option.

So far, the CBR900RR rearsets are the only direct bolt on replacement for the 4th gen that I know of.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

First off, I knew I would go with F4i forks since they bolt right on using the same neck bearings and are close in length. Second I wanted to keep using gixxer1000 6piston brake calipers. I had these on my SuperHawk project and they are amazing. They bolt right on to the forks with a little shimming, no drama. Will run the gixxer master cylinder too.

gallery_611_2920_23252.jpg

Hello. I´m sorry for "digging" this post, but i need some guidance... I never wondered that the gixxer callipers would fit the VFR forks, Thank you very much for that ;)

Now, back to the point... i´ve bought a set of callipers and didn´t fitted them yet (lack of time) but i´m kinda worried about the shimming that it´s needed to have them in place...Can you give me any tips for that?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

FOTMOTO -

I've been thinking about building my 4th gen into something similar since I love the bike but I'm tired of it's dated looks.

A couple of questions for you...

1. If you dont mind, could you estimate how much $ you spent on this?

2. Is there any write up on your 6th gen tail/exhaust conversion? The thread shows the modified RC45 bits then suddenly a 6th gen tail is on there...

• Member Contributer

FOTMOTO -

I've been thinking about building my 4th gen into something similar since I love the bike but I'm tired of it's dated looks.

A couple of questions for you...

1. If you dont mind, could you estimate how much $ you spent on this?

2. Is there any write up on your 6th gen tail/exhaust conversion? The thread shows the modified RC45 bits then suddenly a 6th gen tail is on there...

Hi

I think FotoMoto has be long gone and moved on - the last post was 2010. --- I still think his bike is beautiful!