Rcbvfr Frankenviffer Texas Style

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer
Doug, when you got your gauges working, was your speedo off THAT much? I mean as much as what we're experiencing? Like Roakill said, at about 50-55 mph, the speedo is only reading 6-7 mph. I just cant see it making THAT much difference in the signal being sent.

Todd,

Yes, it is off THAT much. As I said, you will need Verison 4.0 of the speedohealer which is the only one with enough range to handle this. I tried three others: "regular" speedohealer, a yellow box, and a daktronics box before speedohealer's tech support :unsure: helped me figure it out. Ver.4.0 has only been out since march so make sure you're not getting old stock when ordering. I got mine here:

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/...988&count=1

I originally solved my limited mirror view buy adding spacers as seen in some of the pics but I just didn't like the looks nor the "dirty" air coming off the fairing. So, I'm now using bar end mirrors which greatly cleaned up the lines of the bike and greatly reduced turbulence. Pics to come soon.

Gazman,

Yes splicing into the cbr gauge/headlight harness (cheap on ebay) is the only way to go. Also, I saw your youtube video and the KOSO tach looked to be working fine.

Guest GAZMAN

YES, IT SEEMED TO WORK FINE CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE COIL OF THE SECOND CILYNDER BUT WHEN I PASS 6000 RPMS IT GOES CRAZY. ELSEWHERE I HAVE TO TRY REINSTALLING KOSO BEFORE CONNECTING CBR 1000 RR ONE. IN CASE KOSO WORKS FINE FINALLY I CAN SELL THE CBR RR ONE smile.gif

THIS WEEK I GET MY BIKE AND CONTINUE WITH WORK smile.gif

Guest WERA39
Todd,

Yes, it is off THAT much. As I said, you will need Verison 4.0 of the speedohealer which is the only one with enough range to handle this. I tried three others: "regular" speedohealer, a yellow box, and a daktronics box before speedohealer's tech support :unsure: helped me figure it out. Ver.4.0 has only been out since march so make sure you're not getting old stock when ordering. I got mine here:

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/...988&count=1

I originally solved my limited mirror view buy adding spacers as seen in some of the pics but I just didn't like the looks nor the "dirty" air coming off the fairing. So, I'm now using bar end mirrors which greatly cleaned up the lines of the bike and greatly reduced turbulence. Pics to come soon.

Gazman,

Yes splicing into the cbr gauge/headlight harness (cheap on ebay) is the only way to go. Also, I saw your youtube video and the KOSO tach looked to be working fine.

ahhhhhhh, well glad to see that i didnt screw up. I had some things to do after Roadkill left my house yesterday, but last night, i spent a few hours going over and over the schematics trying to figure out where i messed up and IF i had messed up. I guess the reason its off so much is because the speed sensor of the CBR actually goes thru the ECU and other sensors BEFORE it gets to the electronic gauges, which in turn causes the signal from the VFR which doesnt go thru all the electronics to be THAT much off. Im sure Roadkill will read your post, and hopefully will get the correct SPEEDOHEALER that will be able to make that much adjustment. I didnt think the standard one would make an almost 90% adjustments as i just installed one on another friends bike who only needed an 8% adjustment to bring his speedo to within 1mph of being dead on accurate according to his GPS on the bike.

the reason that the speedo is off so much is because instead of picking it up at the countershaft sprocket and sending 4 pulses per revolution like our bikes do the RR is actually picking it up off of a gear in the transmission which has far more teeth than just 4 so its only getting a fraction of the necessary pulses.

Guest roadkill
the reason that the speedo is off so much is because instead of picking it up at the countershaft sprocket and sending 4 pulses per revolution like our bikes do the RR is actually picking it up off of a gear in the transmission which has far more teeth than just 4 so its only getting a fraction of the necessary pulses.

Thanks for the info. I have a Speedohealer on order to address this issue.

Now for one more question......mating the VFR fuel sensor to the CBR LCD fuel gauge.....I am deathly afraid of just making a straight connection as the VFR signal may be too much for the CBR and might fry the cluster.....

So I want to look at the resistance of the fuel level sensor in each bike and compare the two.....I have the page from the factory manual for the CBR showing that the resistance at top (full) is 11-13 ohms and at bottom (empty) is 130-135 ohms. Does any one have a chart for the VFR? Much thanks.

Guest GAZMAN

Thanks for the info. I have a Speedohealer on order to address this issue.

Now for one more question......mating the VFR fuel sensor to the CBR LCD fuel gauge.....I am deathly afraid of just making a straight connection as the VFR signal may be too much for the CBR and might fry the cluster.....

So I want to look at the resistance of the fuel level sensor in each bike and compare the two.....I have the page from the factory manual for the CBR showing that the resistance at top (full) is 11-13 ohms and at bottom (empty) is 130-135 ohms. Does any one have a chart for the VFR? Much thanks.

the vfr one gives from 4 to 10 ohm at high position and from 90 to 100 ohm on low position so there is no risk on frying anything smile.gif

cheers smile.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm going to try the RC51 front end on my ol' RCBVFR. I found out that pre-2008 CBR1000R triples are identical to the 929/954 setups so popular with modders which use the stock VFR bearings and races but are becoming somewhat rare and thus high dollar on ebay. I picked up an entire 1000r setup for $90. The offset and stem length are the same on all of them (1000, 954, 929). This pic shows the difference in build substance vs my vtec triples and the difference in overall length due to the gullwing drop of the upper triple.

IMG_0642.jpg

The only negative is the 1000r upper triple is "ugly" (not pictured) as it has mount holes for the electronic steering damper that is (obviously) not used in our applications. Fortunately, I had all ready purchased a 954 upper and used it instead as seen in this pic. It's mounted on the cbr1000rr bottom triple vs my previous setup on right: 2002 vfr triples (with f4i forks)

IMG_0644.jpg

2005 RC51 (sp2) forks (left) vs F4i forks (right) in terms of length:

forks-1.jpg

I robbed them off my 51 and installed them tonight but haven't ridden it yet. Looks alone, it's a winner! Report soon.

rc51frontend.jpg

• Member Contributer

Doug,

that looks very hot.

I know I shouldnot click on these posts, owning a 4th Gen with stock front setup..... makes me greedy...... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Nice job Doug!

Dibs on the F4i forks, if they are available and the price is right! :blush: I mean, you're not putting them on the RC, are you? :huh:

Thanks Seb. Yeah, they would look at little funny on the RC, huh? LOL Well, they aren't for sale yet because......

I really luv the look the look and bling factor of the USD forks on my RCBVFR. Not to mention the new found braking power of the larger 310mm rotors and that my gixxer 6p calipers bolt right up too is just icing on the cake. But..... with different offsets the steering is a little, well......, different feeling; however, after an hour + test ride today I am getting use to it. I didn't get a true test of the front end as we had 30-40+mph winds that were totally messing with my lines. :blink: Hell, I was leaned over in the straights! :cool:

But the biggest obstacle with these on my 4gen custom is steering lock; as in, there isn't any with the cbr1000r lowers. I almost dropped it on a very slow u-turn while caught off guard watching traffic. I spent most of the evening grinding down the stops with a dremel to gain more clearance with the forks still mounted on the bike. I gained a lot more but realized I'll have to remove them for more working room to get the proper clearance. With the now new additional turning lock, I see I might have clearance issues with the radiator if I try to go for more. Hmmm.

KG9K6446.jpg

KG9K6452.jpg

The very tall ducati 900 SS clipons are just about perfect as I have them set all the way up and that is about all my brake line length and fairing upper clearance can take. I used these on my RC51 and got the tinglies on very long rides that I think are due to no bar end weights; gonna have to fix that.

KG9K6453.jpg

Nice pic of her after getting it all buttoned back up tonight and my new avatar.

rcfrontendweb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Forgot to mention, I'm also using a Carrrozzeria forged aluminum front wheel pirated from my RC51. You know, for that even greater bling factor! smile.gif Seriously, these lighter wheels are really the tits; no kidding.

Forgot to mention, I'm also using a Carrrozzeria forged aluminum front wheel pirated from my RC51. You know, for that even greater bling factor! smile.gif Seriously, these lighter wheels are really the tits; no kidding.

Doug, it looks REALLY AWESOME!!!

I'd nominate you to design the new gen of VFR's any day!

I TOTALLY want to find a way to get some type of OHLINS Forks to work with my 6th gen. Not just the insert/springs, but the whole thing.

Man I REALLY REALLY want to do that.

Any possible way whatsoever?

Oh, since you seem to be the expert on VFR Mods, wondering if there is any way to get Fork Sliders for the VFR 6th gen?

Keep up the kewl pictures and mods dude!

• Member Contributer
I TOTALLY want to find a way to get some type of OHLINS Forks to work with my 6th gen. Not just the insert/springs, but the whole thing.

Oh, since you seem to be the expert on VFR Mods, wondering if there is any way to get Fork Sliders for the VFR 6th gen?

Ohlins huh? (insert whistle sound here) Suh-weet. Got an extra $2800 laying around for a set of RC51 Road and Track units? Add a set of gull wing type triples and you're set! +1.gif Of course, you'll lose the LBS and need to attend to that. You can find used sets on the more racer type forums for under $2k but they get snatched up pretty quick; gotta be ready to pull the trigger.

By sliders are you meaning the plastic protectors? If so, than the F4i items should fit as they are also 43mm. About $7 a piece.

Thanks for the kudo's guys. It's nice to know others like the RCBVFR too. I sure do. :fing02:

Ohlins huh? (insert whistle sound here) Suh-weet. Got an extra $2800 laying around for a set of RC51 Road and Track units? Add a set of gull wing type triples and you're set! :happy: Of course, you'll lose the LBS and need to attend to that. You can find used sets on the more racer type forums for under $2k but they get snatched up pretty quick; gotta be ready to pull the trigger.

By sliders are you meaning the plastic protectors? If so, than the F4i items should fit as they are also 43mm. About $7 a piece.

Thanks for the kudo's guys. It's nice to know others like the RCBVFR too. I sure do. :fing02:

Ok, something happened to my last post...

Ohlins:

So you mean that because the RC51's are of a different size and mounting, I'd have to replace my front brake calipers due to the different mounting system and I'd lose my ABS?

Any other Forks out there perhaps suitable?

Fork Sliders:

I mean those plastic slider thingies that go on the ends of the axel on the front wheel. I thought not possible because no mounting location?

Perhaps there is some type of replacement axel that makes it possible?

gsg-fork-sliders-s3-1050-d.jpg

• Member Contributer
Ohlins:

So you mean that because the RC51's are of a different size and mounting, I'd have to replace my front brake calipers due to the different mounting system and I'd lose my ABS?

Any other Forks out there perhaps suitable?

Fork Sliders:

I mean those plastic slider thingies that go on the ends of the axel on the front wheel.

Yes, a fork mod (change) will require removing the LBS as it uses the stock left fork as part of the system and USD (upside down) forks can't do that.

I haven't seen axle sliders for the vfr but that doesn't mean they aren't out there or ones can be made to fit. USD forks typically have a larger axle diameter and bolt sizing.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, nothing up my sleeve. I will put these back on the RC and bolt up another set with Dan Kyle internals coming from the seller in California but with a quick stop back at Dan's shop to have them freshened up and resprung for my weight as there was a significant difference between us.

Basically I realized I had everything on hand except the triples to try this mod. Then if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out much dough (easily sell the triples) but I did so now it costing me! :biggrin: :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Hey Foto what type of screen did you use for your side pieces you made.

Sorry for the late reply, my email notification for this thread isn't working; need to reset it I guess.

I used cardboard to form the basic templates and then made the second set out of black plastic from a rubbermaid trashcan. wink.gif The current edition is a copy of the 2nd but cut from thin carbon fiber sheets forming three layers with the screen sandwiched as the second in between.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Found a good wiring diagram for 04-05 CBR1000RR

I just want to help out. I found this....04-05 CBR1000RR wire diagram Hope this can help someone out. It has helped me.

Thank you Doug (FotoMoto) for starting this post. I am hooked!

Travis

• Member Contributer

:lurk:

Good stuff here

So am i right, a cbr/rr clock will slip right in place of my 4th gen clock?

Or do i simply need a speedo healer to make good?(never used or seen one of them before)

A how do sheet with out all the fluff would be awsome.