Rcbvfr Frankenviffer Texas Style

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

No longer a 4Gen Secret Project for quite some time so I needed a new name; hence RCBVFR. Maybe something better will come to mind. Although there are still quite a few minor details to attend to, I think this is the final and running edition!!!!! WOO-HOO!!! I put about 20 miles on her this weekend between rains.

I installed longer VTEC throttle cables for the superbike bar and bolted a CBR900rr choke cable on to the top bridge since the stockers were way too short for this bar bend.

IMG_6330.jpg

I modded standard 4gen h4 bulbs to fit the 600rr H7 housings but first impressions are not that favorable. Will try H7 bulbs/wiring next.

IMG_6329.jpg

Mirrors offer a limited sportbike type view but it's liveable. I'll probably work on that some time down the road.

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

Oveall, I'm real happy with the look and the lines of how it all match up.

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg

EDIT: I got around to weighing the RCBVFR and my 02 vtec with a bathroom scale (a'la the BLS method). While on the centerstand in the garage, I filled each bike up to the rim of the filler opening. Capacity: RCBVFR 5.5 gal vs VTEC 5.7 gal

02 VTEC Motorcyclistonline wet weight: 557lbs *

My VTEC with corbin otherwise stock: 569lbs

Stock 94 VFR 750F: 528lbs **

96 RCBVFR heavily modified: 493lbs

wheel.gif wheel.gif

* http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features...00_interceptor/

The Beginning************************88

Now much to look at when you start with a "clean slate".

gallery_611_2920_3629.jpg

Phase one is the front end of the bike. NOTE: Although most everything is bolted down, this is still a mock up version at this point.

First off, I knew I would go with F4i forks since they bolt right on using the same neck bearings and are close in length. Second I wanted to keep using gixxer1000 6piston brake calipers. I had these on my SuperHawk project and they are amazing. They bolt right on to the forks with a little shimming, no drama. Will run the gixxer master cylinder too.

gallery_611_2920_23252.jpg

Next, I decided to go with a CBR600RR set of bodywork. Pretty easy to obtain used on ebay except for the very expensive fairing uppers. Those squiddies crash a lot! I removed the honda wings to keep the classic VFR look. Me likey! :unsure:

gallery_611_2920_27492.jpg

right side.jpg

gallery_611_2920_41090.jpg

left front.jpg

gallery_611_2920_44085.jpg

front.jpg

The side fairings were adapted with very little work. Kind of freaky. I rotated the main brackets around on their mounts. The bottom (gray) lowers will need some extensions or drilling but they are VERY close also. I was extremely excited at this point.

gallery_611_2920_479254.jpg

right side mount.jpg

gallery_611_2920_7598.jpg

left case.jpg

The upper, however, isn't as easy; different stay that bolts on a different way. The VFR stay would not work with the bodywork but it was bent to hell anyway so that was OK. I fab up some aluminum extension tabs as templates for later steel items to connect the steering mount neck to the CBR stay (sorry forgot to get pic). I'm using a cheap bent one as a test mule; however, I'll be getting one now as they are cheap compared to VFR's ($55 @ service honda).

The instrument panel is a bitch too. In some ways it works perfectly and in others it's a pain. It's a very close fit with the forks as they just graze it on full lock but it's not a deal breaker by any means. There is NO clearance between the windscreen and the panel. An aftermarket speedo is the easy solution here. I'll probably do that but I will miss the fuel reserve light which is the only thing I can't determine a way to include on an upper end aftermarket unit.

I wanted to run a superbike bar so I knew that would negate problems with clip on clearance with the panel but would possibly introduce upper fairing clearance issues. Initial tests are good but choke and throttle cable length might be too tight. I have a lower rise bar on the way to help with that.

gallery_611_2920_27183.jpg

guages.jpg

gallery_611_2920_46764.jpg

top side.jpg

gallery_611_2920_46075.jpg

left guages.jpg

More pics:

gallery_611_2920_6015.jpg

right rear.jpg

gallery_611_2920_19673.jpg

right air duct.jpg

gallery_611_2920_7293.jpg

fender front.jpg

Still LOTS to do. For one thing, I need to deal with the air duct cover issue. I'll probably just trim the tabs off for right now. Every time I stare at it or take it apart again (for the 50th time), I find something else to deal with PLUS I still have the rear end, Phase II to tackle.

gallery_611_2920_49816.jpg

rear phase II.jpg

Even tho' it seems like I'll never get it done, I'm having fun with it and feel like it will actually run one day. More to come. But first I need a few of these:

gallery_611_2920_4245.jpg

ummm beer.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well the back half is coming along quite nicely with no major obstacles (knocking on wood, fingers/toes double crossed).

Here's what I've got done so far: VTEC rear subframe, VTEC LeoVince CF pipes, 3/4 gen TBR SS headers, Wilbers triple-clicker shock, and 5/6 gen wheel. Next I will need to determine bodywork (don't want to go VTEC) and fit the seat (GSXR sargent). TONS of little things to do that it seems like it will never end.

Can't find the gallery posting tool (Miggy working on it?) so here's a link to the gallery instead:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...i&img=22701

• Member Contributer
can you post some more pics of that exhaust? im VERY interested in it!

Do you mean the headers?

gallery_611_2287_19104.jpg

TBR SS pipes.jpg TBR 4th Gen Stainless Steel headers with Ti muffler. Besides looking WAY better, there is a substantial weight savings too. PLUS: I should be able to keep the centerstand.

I won't be running that single Ti muffler rather the dual carbon firber VTEC Leo system seen in the previous pics.

the dual carbon fiber setup is what im refering to.

how does the crossover work? would one have to run the VTEC subframe to use such an exhaust?

im REALLY thinking about doing something like that, just because its really trick and one high mount can just isnt enough!

Try these guys for exhaust parts:

http://burnsstainless.com/index.htm

a_base_2-1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
How close are you to finishing your RR conversion? Final pics? The RR plastics look like they fit a little better than the F4i plastics. Did you figure out the upper fairing stay? Nice work.

I haven't been working on it too much due to work and other commitments but have made some important progress.

First: A slightly modified stock 600rr fairing stay works better than my more highly modified first attempt. Some grinding on the mount end for clearance gets it positioned just about right. It's slightly off center this way but my first attempt which corrected this introduced other more significant issues. I can live with but it might drive anal types kerr-razy. Only 1 of the two holes line up. I haven't decided if I will run it with just one (it's very sturdy) or drill the steering neck mount for the second hole(gulp), or fab a link between the two misaligned second holes. Also, the RR stay is aluminum, much lighter than the steel vfr unit, and much cheaper than I thought ($55 @ servicehonda).

gallery_611_2920_38946.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

gallery_611_2920_5526.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

gallery_611_2920_8745.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

Second: Although it's an additional expense, I've decided aftermarket gauges are a simpler solution than trying to use the stock unit.

gallery_611_2920_3284.jpg

IMG_6056.jpg

Third: Even with the stock 600rr stay, fairing panel alignment will bolt up using 3 of the 4 stock vfr mounting points! The left bottom (by the kickstand) is the only one that's way off and will need a hole drilled. The stock side frame mounting brackets simply need to be loosened and rotated forwarded/upward on their axis's. Some bending and/or filing of the locking tabs will need to be done but that's it! Suh-weet!

gallery_611_2920_51960.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

gallery_611_2920_29974.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

gallery_611_2920_5600.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

gallery_611_2920_2841.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

Fourth: the lowers will need to be trimmed at the rear for centerstand clearance. Maybe not if running no stand but rear exhaust collector could also be an issue. I don't know for sure since I'm running a TBR header with slightly different routing.

gallery_611_2920_38799.jpg

IMG_6071.jpg

Fifth: Ram air duct panels covers the coils perfectly. Issues are the stock coil/radiator brackets stick up too high and need to be cut off, no problem since they aren't used now, and the panels need to be trimmed at the tank junction for aesthetic reasons.

gallery_611_2920_56964.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

gallery_611_2920_63090.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

gallery_611_2920_53824.jpg

IMG_6063.jpg

gallery_611_2920_41255.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

Sixth: The 600RR upper fairing stay uses two cheap ($3) mirror/windscreen reinforcement brackets. Get these. You can bend them forward on their mounts to push the windscreen upwards/forwards for additional steering clearance. Even with my high/wide superbike handlebars, I have no clearance problems. Stock clipons "should" be a breeze but I can't test that (sold stock bits).

gallery_611_2920_10607.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

gallery_611_2920_49893.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

gallery_611_2920_21959.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

That's how it stands right now. Waiting on gauges and a few other things to arrive and I'll be done with parts but the list is veeeeeeery long on all the little things I need to tidy up or solve. I don't for see any big issues with the front end now. yipp-eee!

• Member Contributer

Well it's been three long months waiting for this day, 4GSP lives! :goofy: I got the two brothers header hooked up to the leo vince vtec pipes, installed new battery with new, longer power cables ($9 made locally), hooked up fuel tank, crossed fingers, and pushed the button.

OK, so it sounds like it's running on 3 & 1/2 cylinders but it's still music to my ears. I'm adding "tune up" to the all ready long list of things to do but this thing might actually roll a wheel in anger one of these days. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Continuing on with the rear subframe, I did a lot of head scratching trying to figure out where to put everything: fuel pump, fuel lines, rear coils, wire harness, main fuse assembly, R/R, and spark unit.

As previous mentioned, I needed longer battery cables since the battery is in different location and further back from original. I also lengthened the fuel lines and relocated the pump to the rear section. I even found places to attach the rubber sleeve thus keeping the pump suspended in the air.

gallery_611_2920_43847.jpg

KG9K7798.jpg

gallery_611_2920_51422.jpg

KG9K7800.jpg

The fuel filter remains in the stock location for the time being.

[gallery_611_2920_6303.jpg

KG9K7799.jpg

I also put the spark unit back there but on the other side.

gallery_611_2920_20996.jpg

KG9K7784.jpg

Moving the spark unit necessitated moving the entire rear wiring harness from the left side over to the right. The coils, main fuse block, and R/R all reside where the rear brake m/c and linked brake/abs guts would be on the vtec. The R/R is mounted upside down on the mail rail (see arrows). I'm getting a gsxr r/r which is MUCH larger and later on will relocated that to the rear passenger section.

gallery_611_2920_14478.jpg

KG9K7781.jpg

gallery_611_2920_33191.jpg

KG9K7782.jpg

Everything is tidy and ready for the next step; getting some bodywork.

gallery_611_2920_20996.jpg

KG9K7784.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just got it in today from air-tech in a box so friggin' huge I thought my wife had order furniture or something! This is an RC45 replica tail. The Mike Hale edition specifically. For those who may not know, Mike as a rather big guy for a racer (little Miguel Duhamel was his team mate) and simply could not fit on the race spec 45. Airtech built a special longer seat pan edition just for him and still sells it today. I decided to go with it as I thought it would give me more leeway for trimming at the tank/frame spare juncture and give me more wiggle room on the road.

With fingers crossed I tried an initial fitting but it would not go on. The VTEC undertail and parts of the subframe were too wide by about an inch on each side. So I pulled out the dremel and got busy. Now I can get it nearly all the way on to see where it will need to be trimmed, tucked, and/or cut to flush fit. It's very close as is. A testament to how close the RC45 and 4th gen are in overall size and layout.

gallery_611_2920_31542.jpg

IMG_6087.jpg

gallery_611_2920_12834.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

gallery_611_2920_35899.jpg

IMG_6088.jpg

The two biggest areas of concern are the mufflers (yellow circle) and seat pan. Those will need the most extensive cutting. I placed the gixxer sargent seat on it for the pic. The longer Mike Hale edition will give me enough room for a real "selfislhy wasting bandwidth" pad for more comfort/support. Obviously the seat will not sit up that high as I will need to cut out the seat pan to lower the seat down to the frame rails for support.

gallery_611_2920_782.jpg

cutout.jpg

gallery_611_2920_4605.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

At this point, I don't know how I will bolt down the rear half. The front section will use the standard VFR lower mounts with an bracket to bridge the difference.

I'm pysched that it's as close as it is right out of the box. Did I mention how big the box was? smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Got busy with the dremel on the RC45 fiberglass. A cutting wheel designated for plastic on medium speed cut thru it like a knife thru butter. Please note that these are all rough cuts in need of sanding/finishing.

First, I measured and trimmed the muffler cut outs. I erred on the side of loose due to heat considerations. Next was the seat.

gallery_611_2920_24435.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

After those was the RC51 brake/tail light.

gallery_611_2920_8772.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

gallery_611_2920_60600.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

I'm very happy with the first fitment results. I will need to make mounting brackets for the front and rear. Both will be quick disconnect. Why? Because I want to. :joystick: Also notice that I got the front turn signals (hanging not mounted in previous pics) and headlights working too. (need to post this in the Phase I thread).

gallery_611_2920_22809.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Overall, I'm really, really happy with the side profile lines of the bike. Once I get it painted, the tail won't stick out like a sore thumb against all the VFR red-ness! The ill fitting superhawk tank bra I had laying around does an OK job of hiding the mismatch of the RC tail and the VFR tank but a VFR specific bra will be MUCH better. Opps. Just realized I forgot to put the front fender on to complete the look for the pics. I'll make sure to do that next time when I trimmed the silver lowers.

gallery_611_2920_76300.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

• Member Contributer

Finally reached a point that it's a roller and got it out of the garage for a little sunshine and some pics. Two Brothers header centerstand stop works with my modded VTEC exhaust system (much relief) and I trimmed the CBR lower for a better fit. I think I'll eventually paint these black as a tribute to the original 4th gen look. I still need to do the left side but here's some pics of the right.

gallery_611_2920_107767.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

gallery_611_2920_26817.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

gallery_611_2920_4367.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

gallery_611_2920_33673.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

gallery_611_2920_70942.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Some more work on the rear end. Got a 520 chain/sprocket set in today from sumofallparts2 who are on ebay. Thumbs down on these guys IMO. Don't stock anything and try to sell you higher priced items when they contact you to notify you they don't have the item you just bought. Took nearly a month to get it and I'm only a tad over 100 miles away from them ($20 shipping). A rivet link was extra costs (?) and they didn't send it.

But the gold chain/vortex sprockets do look great. :thumbsup: 15/45 ratio should keep things interesting. I also bolted on a stock vtec passenger peg for the wilbers remote reservoir.

gallery_611_2920_134823.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

gallery_611_2920_83518.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

gallery_611_2920_158960.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

With the chain installed, I could set about modding a 919 rear hugger I've been playing with. Since it comes from a double sided swingarm, I had to trim the entire right side. The left side mounts are close enough that I only need to make the rear mount bracket. It still needs some more work and a possible reinforcement bracket but I'm happy with the price (ebay $10) :thumbsup:

gallery_611_2920_84573.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

gallery_611_2920_92364.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Time to renew efforts on the front end.

• Member Contributer

Time to turn more attention to the front end. I got the headlights working; using stock wiring and H4 bulbs but needed to trim them to fit the H7 housings.

gallery_611_2920_25410.jpg

KG9K7821.jpg

No winkie eye for me. Both will be high/low beam.

gallery_611_2920_8159.jpg

KG9K7825.jpg

Finally got the new instrument panel in. It's a KOSO RX1N unit. It comes with plenty of supplies including extensions for cables, sensors, and nice hardware. It is a full feature unit with more things than I care to list (or will probably ever use) but besides the obvious it has two trips, water/oil temps, fuel gauge with reserve warning, clock, and all the typical warning lights.

Since I can't determine an easy way to tap into the oil lines/cooler for the sensor (seen just below the gauge), I'm going to mount it to the fairing in the same spot the VTEC uses as an air temperature gauge instead. It all ready has an oil pressure light just like stock.

gallery_611_2920_58865.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

It's much smaller and thus lighter than the stock unit which now appears behemoth in size!

gallery_611_2920_56244.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

Wiring it up was fun. It's not as bad as it looks. smile.gif I'm still not 100% there but it's now functional. The water temp sensor threads into the stock location on the thermostat housing.

gallery_611_2920_32729.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

Mounting it on the stay was very easy as there were two stock holes that matched perfectly. Weird. Just need to trim underneath for the bolts to stick out.

gallery_611_2920_20886.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

Overall, it looks very nice and is easily readable from the seat. It uses LED light sources. I haven't check it out in the sun yet.

gallery_611_2920_80480.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

gallery_611_2920_11011.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

It also does a power up self test just like the newer modern gauges. You can see all lights in this shot. That's a over rev light on the top right. Does both yellow and red and are adjustable to ones requirements.

gallery_611_2920_51904.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

• Member Contributer
I knew this could be done on my conversion. I even asked the mechanic if there was any way he could make H4 bulbs fit in the H7 holes so he wouldn't need to rewire the thing.

Two questions:

Do they aim correctly now that you widdled the H4's down?

How much effort did it actually take to get them the right size?

If I were the mechanic and working on somebody else's bike, I'd tell you the same thing.

Here's what I did. I had to trim the top tab off and the area between the two bottom tabs to allow the H4 bulb to sit flush. Took a minute on the grinding wheel but tin snips would probably achieve the same thing.

gallery_611_2920_25519.jpg

KG9K7815.jpg

gallery_611_2920_48735.jpg

KG9K7814.jpg

Next I had to push the locking tab out a bit and bend the wire clasp some to allow for the larger bulb assembly. It's not an easy factory fit installation so it is MUCH easier to install them with the headlights/fairing off the bike.

gallery_611_2920_10208.jpg

KG9K7816.jpg

Plug the harness in and you're done. I haven't checked alignment out yet but the 600rr headlight assembly has both up/down and side to side screw adjusters for each lamp so I should have plenty of latitude.

• Member Contributer
You gotta tell us where you got it and how much it was! I've seen it, and researched it a little, had it in mind for a project, but I remember it was $$$, that or I found the price in canuckle funds...

Yes, they are expensive. Here's the N.A. KOSO website with US distributors who all show list prices on their websites too:

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso_anglais/toutes.htm

but they are much cheaper on UK and German ebay which is where I got mine but I got seriously raped on shipping charges by the German vendor. In hindsight, I should have asked a Euro or Brit Viffer to purchase/ship them to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well I spent some time getting the left side up to par with the right side that I've only been showing so far. Opps, I didn't plug in the right side headlight for the photos. I trimmed the gray lower a good bit to clear the centerstand while it's deployed and then drilled it to match the standard mounting point (no bracket required!). I've got a feeling I'll need to trim both of the lowers more to allow adequate heat spacing from the headers. I think I also have some of the Honda heat foil padding to add to the backs to give them more resistance.

IMG_6154.jpg

I still need to make the cosmetic cover for the frame/subframe junction and add the cb919 hugger after I make an additional bracket for rigidity.

IMG_6152.jpg

I will trim the lower around the stator cover section for a better match or else just cut it straight to the back mount. Dunno' yet.

IMG_6147.jpg

The speedo is easy to see in the daylight. I got most of the wiring routing determined but still have one issue with the gauge I need to solve. I think I will lower and center it some more. I'm using some stock cbr holes at present for the bracket.

IMG_6150.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not much time this weekend what with the Fathers Day activities (which usually involves me spending money?) but I did get the left side cover made. The seat has wrinkles because I added sargent seat foam and used it on my other VTEC bike. I'm not real good with seat covering but I'll try to redo it and make it longer to better fill the gap between it and the tank. Ultimately, I'll move the VTEC subframe closer (about 1/2 inch or so). I keep forgetting to remove the honda wing decals from the left side of the upper.

IMG_6226.jpg

IMG_6232.jpg

I also trimmed and installed the cb919 rear hugger. I think I will move it back about 1/2 inch towards the tire for closer fit and get it further away from the up pipe. Unfortunately, this means not using the stock front mounting hole on the hugger and making another longer rear bracket. Notice that the plate is several years out of date, this 4th gen has been sitting awhile (only 12k miles) after being wrecked.

IMG_6218.jpg

I got the VTEC rear wheel mounted correctly by cutting away slots for the rear brake rotor bolts/nuts. This allows it to fit flush with against the hub. Rim bought from VFRd is in definite need of some touch up paint or powdercoating. The bike is almost ready to ride!

IMG_6238.jpg

• Member Contributer
That F4i plastic looks really good. That may be more my taste than the 600RR stuff, even. How difficult was it to mate that F4i stuff?

Check out this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31254

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Any luck getting tech support with your gauge issue?

Doug,

The Koso gauge issue isn't looking good. I'm bummed. Tech support (French Canadians) has been helpful and courteous but couldn't get the tach issue (not accurate at all) solved even after bringing in two company engineers. Official answer: it's made for newer style ignition systems. WTH? All the other functions I have connected work GREAT. I'm going to try a CBR1000RR unit next.

I've also been working on some other things:

1) Got Silverstar H7's installed as the modified H4's threw out a funky beam pattern in the CBR housing. Back to the winky look now but the pattern is normal.

2) Marine grade voltmeter ($8 on ebay!) installed.

3) 06 GSXR 600 R/R with 43 miles on it installed. Bonus: came with OEM mounting bracket/horn that I installed between the fork legs. It's wired in parallel with the stock system which is unplugged. IOW, I have a backup system on board and wired in. I just need to plug/unplug between the two. Kinda' cool I think.

4) Pulled and cleaned carbs, added factory jet kit and carb sync. Motor runs so much better and smoother now. Example: pulling up to an intersection but not coming to a complete stop, I can leave it in 2nd and smoothly pull away (it's geared also).

5) Mirror spacer mounts so I can see better with the wider superbike bars.

6) Flush mount front turnsignals (as requested by posters)

7) Correct size front tire (came with a 60 series)

8) Nicer condition oil lines (originals were heavily corroded)

9) Painted and/or polished engine covers (originals corroded)

10) Oil and coolant change/flush (coolant probably still original; catch tank had heavy deposits)

11) Didn't take pictures as I was too damn busy doing the first 10 things! Sorry, will post some later.

• Member Contributer

Well it's just about done but I doubt it ever will be finished. :joystick:

Internal: converted to H7's, new oil lines, oil/coolant change, and factory jet kit installed. Next I added an "extra" gsxr r/r upfront between the forks. The upgraded honda unit is stilled wired in also but unplugged. I also added a voltmeter so I will know if I need to switch to the backup.

KG9K0263.jpg

KG9K0219.jpg

External: flush mounts, mirror mounts (from VFRd lobster), painted engine cover, and bar ends.

KG9K0149.jpg

KG9K0200.jpg

KG9K0142.jpg

KG9K0156.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
I love it! The gold crank cover is awesome! Great photos too! What camera are you using! Surely not a point and click!

Well here's another cover shot (pun intended).

KG9K0252.jpg

Yup, not a P&S although I have quite a few of those. I'm a photographer (fotomoto get it?)and these were shot with my work gear.

• Member Contributer
Did you get your instruments working correctly? Do you have good written instructions on the wiring? I may want to steal your hard work.

I have a set of VF1000R gauges I WAS going to put on my RC211V replica, but that looks so much more fitting!

Bad news I'm afraid: see phase one thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...32026&st=30

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
i really dont think that the 1000rr unit will work. i have a wiring diagram for it and it talks to the ecu on several lines. i cant recall correctly, but i dont think the coolant sensor even goes to the gauge cluster. it might, ill look at it when i can dig up the diagram.

Yup it works.

1000rrgauges.jpg

The upside: TACH WORKS NOW!!!!. Coolant works. Neutral, high beam, turn signals, oil pressure, and reserve fuel level (comes on at 5.1 gal) lights all work and function properly. The over rev light also works but on the 4gen that's not such a big deal as the limiter kicks in about the same time. Redline is the same as the 4gen (OK 100rpm higher for the anal types). Fits my 600rr upper stay and fairing perfectly. Very light. No damage; $150 shipped from epay. Two trips. Looks factory; well...... because it is, sort of. :blink:

Downside: now have a $300+ koso rx1n paper weight. Coolant gauge requires a different two lead sensor. 4gen is single lead and pegs the gauge at 270f when plugged in. I was able to use the sensor from my Koso so the paper weight isn't quite so heavy. +1.gif Will get the 1000r unit later and sell koso. Just as mustang66 experienced with his 6000f4i gauge, the speedo is way off (by the power of 10 or thereabouts) and will need a speedohealer box to function correctly. Temp fix is putting my sigma 800 back on. Needs cbr headlight harness to mate to vfr harness (cut/splice a bunch of wires). No air temp or incremental fuel level only reserve notification.

• Member Contributer
I need details, details I say.

Wiring diagram, pin numbers, whatever.

BTW, could the fairing set back anoth inch or two so the semicircualr cutout meets the case better?

Basically you need the wiring schematics for both bikes and then it's pretty straightforward. I DL'ed the 1000 manual from somewhere on the net; sorry I forget from where exactly. I can burn you a copy of mine if need be. You'll need the RR headlight harness to plug into the back of the gauge. Cut connectors off both harnesses (yikes!), unwrap and start tracing wires. Not all that many are needed and some colors match up. Two power leads with one constant for clock and the other to the fuse box for a keyed source.

Like I said, the coolant unit is the biggest obstacle and a speedo healer is needed for correction factor.

Thanks for tidying up Baileyrock.