How To: Replace 30amp Fuse Wires

tinyminds

I just checked this on my Australian 06 model today, and the wire running to this connector is the same size going in and out, so it seems I don't have the small wire that everyone replaces.

Anyone else notice this?

• 2 weeks later...

I am unclear as to why the whole assembly was taken apart to change the 4" section of wire???

I have the same looking wire...it could have been my harness in the picture. Amazes me they used about 12 guage wire on both sides, but that short piece is 16 guage or so....and very stiff once it has melted a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

due to the melting fuse wire, and some other running issues that came up, honda replaced the entire main harness two summers ago under extended warranty on my 2002. Alas, when installing my CCT's last night, i noticed the 30amp wire becoming brittle once again, and the fuse cracked slightly. And, i'm supposed to leave for Ohio tonight for the Honda Homecoming in Marysville. So, ive just ordered a 12ga inline fuse kit which i will install later today, hopefully with success. It really does bother me that Honda hasnt recognized this issue to the point where they couldve updated the design of the replacement harness. I'm confident that this thing wouldve left me stranded this weekend at some point if i hadent thought to take a peek at it while i had everything apart. Just not acceptable to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here is a pic of the main wire from the harness running to the connector. Side by side with it is the short wire that goes to the fuse holder. Even though this short wire on my 06 is much heavier than the early models, you can still see it is smaller than the main harness wire. So perhaps the wire is still not as big as it should be. I have replaced it as a precaution after another member noticed the fuse getting hot on his 05 model.

DSCN0062.jpg

Guest Red Bullet

I finally joined the crowd with this 30 amp wire deal. Monday my 98 with 25K died on me on the road. I got a ride by this nice fellow biker Bill (thanks, Bill) went to Checker and put a new fuse in, it started right up. I pulled the harness when I got home and sure enough the crimp and part of the wire was burned. I was puzzled about the wire guage because it was metric size 2. I looked up to see what it converted to awg. It is basically 14 awg which should be good for about 30 amp, but I think the problem really was the crimp itself which caused the load. I did replace both wires with 12 awg which is good for about 40 amps and soldered all crimps. We will see how long this will hold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice mod but did you consider a 30 amp aircraft circuit breaker??? get them at Aircraft Spruce and

Speciality for $19.85...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpa...circuitbrkr.php

w23series.jpg

• 1 year later...
I'll be telling my dealer about this today and hopefully this will sort out my 2nd electrical issue on my VFR in just over a month.

Many thanks

The recall harmess uses a slightly bigger wire. Mine started getting cooked anyway.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...

OK so I am trying to get the main positive battery terminal off using a soldering iron and pliers and this thing is not cooperating - there has got to be a better way.  Can I just buy a new terminal plug?  How are people getting this thing out?

On 4/23/2017 at 7:56 PM, WalkThisWhey said:

OK so I am trying to get the main positive battery terminal off using a soldering iron and pliers and this thing is not cooperating - there has got to be a better way.  Can I just buy a new terminal plug?  How are people getting this thing out?

The big end of the positive battery wire is crimped on...I doubt you can just pull it out.  It would be easier to just cut the wire out of the main harness and run a second loop to the battery terminal instead.

I have zero memory of originally posting in this thread but its one of the things that lead to the invention of the VFRness.  Crazy how fast 10 years goes by when you are busy Adulting

Archived