Tank Bag

Guest Roma-VFR-05

Guest Roma-VFR-05

I'm not tall :unsure: , and I do not touch ground with both feet when sitting on my VFR.

So, I thought that a tank bag would have worsen my stability in slow-speed motion in the traffic,

or worsen my riding "feeling".

Well, I don't know why, perhaps it's only a sensation, but with my magnetic tank bag

I feel much better protected (and maybe it's normal), stable and ( :blink: this is strange ) more confortable

while riding.

Perhaps, it is because I load less weight on my wrists,

since the bag avoid my body to go too much toward the tank,

but... this is the result: from the day I bought the bag, I never took it away from the tank.... :wub:

Bye,

David

One caution about leaving the tank bag on your bike: I've heard that it can damage the finish and paint if you leave a tank bag on all the time. You should probably at least take it off at the end of each day you ride.

I haven't noticed any handling changes with the tankbag on vs. off. I was hesitant to buy a big tank bag because I was worried about seeing over it, but really only needed a small to medium sized bag for daily use anyway. Now I realize I could go with a much larger one and still see my instruments. Might get a larger one for trips, in addition to a set of soft bags and perhaps a tail bag, too.

I have a HUGE tankbag that gets fully loaded for trips. {Oxford Expander} Sure everyone else laughed until we ran into hail. I was safely protected behind the bag while they were getting whomped. :rolleyes:

It has always worked well - even though there is no way I can see the instruments without peering around the bag. But as far as security is concerned, it has never given a sign of moving although it clearly can rock side-to-side (fully packed it is at least twice as high as it is wide). I have the same result as Roma-VFR-05 - there is no affect on handling.

To resolve the problem that TimC points out, I use a non-slip latex layer between the bag and tank and remove the bag as often as possible. One of the real paint killers is sand (dust?) getting between the bag bottom and the tank. The micro-movements just cause the abrasive materials to eat into the paint.

I have a HUGE tankbag that gets fully loaded for trips. {Oxford Expander} Sure everyone else laughed until we ran into hail. I was safely protected behind the bag while they were getting whomped. :rolleyes:

It has always worked well - even though there is no way I can see the instruments without peering around the bag. But as far as security is concerned, it has never given a sign of moving although it clearly can rock side-to-side (fully packed it is at least twice as high as it is wide). I have the same result as Roma-VFR-05 - there is no affect on handling.

To resolve the problem that TimC points out, I use a non-slip latex layer between the bag and tank and remove the bag as often as possible. One of the real paint killers is sand (dust?) getting between the bag bottom and the tank. The micro-movements just cause the abrasive materials to eat into the paint.

I have found that when one drops a magnet out of the pouch of a tank bag, one finds themself needing to find a touch up stick.... Don't ask me how I know!!!

I'd rather leave it on as much as possible, but the fine sand grinding in - yep that can be an issue.

I'm not tall :rolleyes: , and I do not touch ground with both feet when sitting on my VFR.

So, I thought that a tank bag would have worsen my stability in slow-speed motion in the traffic,

or worsen my riding "feeling".

Well, I don't know why, perhaps it's only a sensation, but with my magnetic tank bag

I feel much better protected (and maybe it's normal), stable and ( :blink: this is strange ) more confortable

while riding.

Perhaps, it is because I load less weight on my wrists,

since the bag avoid my body to go too much toward the tank,

but... this is the result: from the day I bought the bag, I never took it away from the tank.... :wub:

Bye,

David

Maybe since the tank bag touches your stomach and chest it makes you feel better connected to the bike and therefore you ride better due to being more relaxed.

I realized that I ride better when I wear my rain riding pants instead of my leather motorcycle pants. Turns out since the leather kind of sticks to the seat I had to make an effort to move on the seat, whereas with the rain gear it was more natural to move on the seat since the synthetic rain pants did not stick to the seat.

By the way, don't worry about touching the ground with both feet. And never hesitate to get off the bike to carefully park it. I am short too, and I can tell you tip-toeing backwards doesn't really work to move a 500lbs motorcyle.

I haven't been able to bring myself to put a tank bag on my VFR yet. I am waiting for a few more scratches first. In the meantime I prefer a tailpack. Actually, last time I just used a canoeing river bag with a rope tied over the top between the two passenger handles. It is waterproof, but it is a pain to get at your things while on the road. No scratched from that because the riverbag it only touches the seat and the bag is rubberized anyway.

I used to use a tankbag on my old Sabre. It left scratches on that bike, but I guess I wasn't particularly careful. I kinda find the tank bag annoying because you have to keep moving them to fillup with fuel. All that back and forth is bound the leave scratches.

• Member Contributer

Large bag is good for cold weather protection also..................................... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have a tankbag that I will use if my Ventura luggage is full and I need to carry additional items. But when doing a day ride I prefer to use the small rack with the sport bag. Keeps things behind me and does not distract from my "spirited" riding in any way.

gallery_926_1969_441296.jpg

P1000157.JPG Cherahola

I have a tankbag that I will use if my Ventura luggage is full and I need to carry additional items.

Same here, used to use a tank bag regularly until a tiny bit of grit got trapped under it causing scratches in the tanks paint :rolleyes: , now use a Ventura rack and bag, fantasic, it feels better having clear view of tank and instruments and not having to unclip GPS before swinging the Tank bag out of the way in order to refuel, much better. :thumbsup:

I prefer riding with my tank bag, as the weight distribution is better (with the Ventura bag on, although it handles fine there's a noticeable increase in the pendulum effect from having weight at the back). However, I almost never ride with the tank bag on as it's much easier to throw stuff in my Ventura backpack, and I can put it on / take it off one-handed.

The paint on my tank is totally wrecked from using my tank bag the first long trip I did with it. I did about 40 miles or so on very dusty unsealed roads, and forgot to check for grit uner the bag before putting it on or moving it around. :rolleyes:

I have a tankbag that I will use if my Ventura luggage is full and I need to carry additional items.

Same here, used to use a tank bag regularly until a tiny bit of grit got trapped under it causing scratches in the tanks paint :rolleyes: , now use a Ventura rack and bag, fantasic, it feels better having clear view of tank and instruments and not having to unclip GPS before swinging the Tank bag out of the way in order to refuel, much better. :thumbsup:

These are great points. I'll use the tank bag for everyday riding, commuting, etc. But for my trip in May (and beyond that) I think I'll try leaving it at home and pack everything into my saddlebags and tailbag. I may also end up taking a backpack for the trip, tho I'm hoping not to.

But for my trip in May (and beyond that) I think I'll try leaving it at home and pack everything into my saddlebags and tailbag. I may also end up taking a backpack for the trip, tho I'm hoping not to.

We (me and the Wife/Accountant/Porcupine/Co-pilot/TripOrganiser) did a 4-day trip at Easter last year, and we packed all our crap (turned out to be more than we needed, apart from WD40 which i DID need, and DIDN'T pack) into the tank bag (not expanded) and two zip-together Ventura backpacks. Worked out pretty well. The advantage of taking the tankbag as well was that we could put all the stuff we needed quick access to (camera, maps, sunglasses, drinks, wet-weather gear, marital aids) in the tank bag, and all our clothes'n'stuff into the packs. When we were somewhere with an overnight stop, we didn't need to take the packs or repack the tankbag when heading out for day trips.

Guest 767fixer

i had used and left on my marsee magnetic tank bag (recently sold) since 2002 on my bikes and it has never scratched a tank on either bike it was on. the bag just did not wiggle around and clung tightly

I have a tank bag for long trips, gives me something to lean on and gives me somewhere for extra storage. Besides that I've gotten to where I just leave my top case on my bike all the time now. Here in Orlando you don't leave anything on your bike or someone will remind you that you should have taken it off. My top case also gives me somewhere to put my helmet and gloves when I go in somewhere without having to worry about taking my seat off, hooking helmet, etc. Before I moved down here thought I was so use to my tank bag that it felt odd when I didn't have it on. I think it mentally took some of the sport out of the bike and put it in the touring category. With the top case, I ride as hard as I can want and its never in my way.

DSC00202.jpg

My marsee has been on for probably 10k miles. There is some, but very minimal scratches that will buff out. I take the bag off every ride and clean the botttom with honda polish or a damp towel. I have the small 11 liter rocket pocket. :thumbsup:

I haven't been able to bring myself to put a tank bag on my VFR yet. I am waiting for a few more scratches first. In the meantime I prefer a tailpack. Actually, last time I just used a canoeing river bag with a rope tied over the top between the two passenger handles. It is waterproof, but it is a pain to get at your things while on the road. No scratched from that because the riverbag it only touches the seat and the bag is rubberized anyway.

I used to use a tankbag on my old Sabre. It left scratches on that bike, but I guess I wasn't particularly careful. I kinda find the tank bag annoying because you have to keep moving them to fillup with fuel. All that back and forth is bound the leave scratches.

With you on this one... I just don't like a bag in my way when I ride... so I go with the tailpack. Mine is one of the ones from www.moto-directusa.com and zips off a base I leave strapped to my seat. A tank bag just seems to get in my way when filling up... and I tend to rest an elbow on the tank when I'm commuting.

As I have said a million times......I love my motopak 35L magnetic bag.....it's huge. I also use the Tankslapper 3m stuff to protect the paint just in case.....but in 2 months prior to the slapper no scratches. It is stable at least until 130mph and has held up great......I wish I could buy stock in new enough and motopak I always plug both companies because they stand behind their stuff!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jonnnmike
But for my trip in May (and beyond that) I think I'll try leaving it at home and pack everything into my saddlebags and tailbag. I may also end up taking a backpack for the trip, tho I'm hoping not to.

We (me and the Wife/Accountant/Porcupine/Co-pilot/TripOrganiser) did a 4-day trip at Easter last year, and we packed all our crap (turned out to be more than we needed, apart from WD40 which i DID need, and DIDN'T pack) into the tank bag (not expanded) and two zip-together Ventura backpacks. Worked out pretty well. The advantage of taking the tankbag as well was that we could put all the stuff we needed quick access to (camera, maps, sunglasses, drinks, wet-weather gear, marital aids) in the tank bag, and all our clothes'n'stuff into the packs. When we were somewhere with an overnight stop, we didn't need to take the packs or repack the tankbag when heading out for day trips.

Umm call me silly but what is marital aids ???!!

• Member Contributer

Umm call me silly but what is marital aids ???!!

I really was hoping no one was gonna' ask him that............................... :blink:

I have a tankbag that I will use if my Ventura luggage is full and I need to carry additional items. But when doing a day ride I prefer to use the small rack with the sport bag. Keeps things behind me and does not distract from my "spirited" riding in any way.

I have two Ventura backpacks and an expandable tankbag, and while I prefer a backpack (easier and quicker to load and use, takes more stuff), the bike is easier to ride with the tankbag on, and has better handling.

I can put the backpack on / take it off with one hand, whereas the tankbag takes two.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Bagster "Alpha" 30 liter tank bag on various bikes since '94. The benefit of the Bagster set up is the tank cover.

The tank cover for my VFR arrived last week and it's slick.

EDIT: I thought I uploaded pics with this post, but I guess I haven't figured out this particular Forum program's features yet.

Rex

Guest 767fixer
gallery_10538_2675_57829.jpg

EDIT: I thought I uploaded pics with this post, but I guess I haven't figured out this particular Forum program's features yet.

Rex

Holy $%@( thats huge.

damn! shorter riders wont be able to see over it. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Had one of the Tourmaster "triple bags" on my CBR600RR once. Packed everything in it for a week-long trip. Short as I am, I could sit my chin on it cruising down the highway. Really had to putt(worse than my norm) through the twisties sitting too straight up in one position. Got to the motel, unloaded the crap, had a ball. Found a bike shop, purchased saddlebags for the trip home....unzipped the top 2 sections and put em' in the saddlebags. Live and learn........................... :beer:

Archived