Etymotic Er6i's Vs. Shure E3c's

Jon28

ER6I's Vs. E3c's  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you purchase the ER6i's or the E3c's?

• Etymotic ER6i
    • Shure E3c

I have the er6i's and use them for long slabbers. I'm a longtime guitar player so sound quality is a big deal for me...

They work exceedingly well, however bass response leaves a bit to be desired.

The wind isolation is fantastic, and the music does not need to be too loud for clarity.

Highly recommended.

SA

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Pros: I've had the Er6i's for about six months now. They have performed flawlessly unlike my sansa player +1.gif but its under warranty so all is well. I even wear these when doing yard work now and the sound insulation is great. I've really been happy with'em.

Cons: I usually use the foam tipped ear pieces and they don't last long and are very $$$. The wires are fragile. Taking the tips out from the ear is sometimes a PITA....depending on which tips are installed. Now my wife wants a pair.....LOL

• Forum CEO

I have had 3 pairs of ER's two pairs of the i's I found the regular ER6 have metal sleeves and just seem to be better workmanship . First pair I stepped on the wire and ripped the lead out of one of the speakers I fixed them and I used them all the time till one of the speakers finally blew out . My second pair I caught a tree limb and it cut the wire bare. I did some soldiering and fixed them with a new set of wires, they work, but for some reason the sound is a bit dimmer. My third pair I got second hand from Hobiedog actually he cut me a deal!

Not much bass but then again I use them for riding with my helmet on at speed - so its a wash, I still want to be able to get a little motor hum in my ears, as this is what I use to judge what gear I need to be in for entering turns and such.

I like that they have different sizes of ear bud and even soft foam buds for those long rides when you need comfort. Thats the big thing, they cut wind noise just as well as ear plugs and they are comfortable! They keep out the noise and give me a nice clear sound while riding, they are all day comfortable! What more can you ask from an earspeaker on the road?

They do an admirable job as noise isolation is concerned. I wish I could find some that would fit in my small ear canals. I've tried so many of these and just have not been able to find ones that will seal up or stay in. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the ER6iP phones based on this thread. Farkin EXPENSIVE. Damn good, however! They do work effectively as earplugs even without the music. I have been 130+ and been able to hear nothing other than the music playing absolutely crisply! wow! Also fantastic for use while mowing the yard!!

I wear ear plugs with my Shoei RF1000 Zemke helmet for all but in town riding. When I hit the road for longer rides however, I have the ER6 (not ER6i) earphones and a Sansa e280 8+2 Gig player loaded with 192 bit digital blues and rock 'n roll. The ER6 are great as 'ear plugs' alone, but they truly shine with quality sound reproduction of music playing on the VFR, during air travel and, as someone else said, even while while mowing the lawn.

Only downside is my ER6 left channel has recently lost significant volume vs the right channel. Cleaning and changing the tiny filters did not help. My (out of warranty) ER6 have been back at Etymotic for almost one month now after I got an RMA for return shipping. Using Sony ear buds now for air travel and it sucks, I want my ER6 back!

VFR + Sargent seat + ER6 = long riding enjoyment!

• Member Contributer

Good thread.

I had the V-Moda Vibes which were very nice however, the wire where it plugs into my ipod took a dump. That said, I had been looking at these two models as replacements. Think it's the Er6i's that I will be getting. It's amazing the difference in quality to the crappy ipod buds with those you have to turn it all the way just for it to be audible when I had my vibes I maybe listened at half volume. The Er6's should be even better then that. Thanks for the posts it's made my decision easier.

Kevin

Archived