Vtec Vs 5th Generation: Vtec Wins 8 - 0

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

That's it! I have heard it all about the "evil vtec", "nothing is better than a 5th generation" and so on.

Here is a comprehensive comparison of the 5th nd 6th generations.

AESTHETICS:

Front: The evil look of the 6th genreration is more refined, and the lights will definitely catch your attention. I can't see that with the 5th. 6th +1 5th 0

Rear end: Hands down 6th generation: the undertail pipes, the narrowing tail section are by far a nicer design than the (should I dare to say ugly) rear section of the 5th. There is no way one can even try to modify it to look somehow decent. 6th + 1 5th -1

Exhaust system: Even with an aftermarket system, the 5th generation rear pipe is in the way of the single sided swingarm. Ok looking at best. On the other hand, the vtec pipes are cleverly located underneath the tail. So nice the look that most models now sport the look. And guess what, even the 5th generation guys are doing it. 6th +1 5th 0

ENGINE AND FUEL MANAGEMENT

Cam drive: The vtec went back to chain, abandoning the noisy gear driven timing. Hey, most motorcycle are chain driven, and considering that after a while, everyone of us wants to look inside the power plant. 6th +1 5th 0

Vtec or 4 valves: Vtec means: Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. Nothing else. Purpose? lowering emissions. We all have different views on that, but it is becoming a way of making compromise between full out power and very low emissions. Far from being the best system, and it nonetheless a step in the right direction. We can make the vtec with more power and smother transition (pc3), but you cannot have lower emissions on a 5th generation than on a vtec. No matter what is goal, that is a fact. 6th +1 5th 0.

CHASSIS

Weight: No point arguing here. 6th 0 5th +1

OTHERS:

Maintenance: Baileyrock has over 40K and no valve adjustment. Wow! Oh what the hell, 6th + 1 5th 0

Evil touch: 6th +1 5th 0

Easier to write down vtec than 5th generation 6th +1 5th 0

The fact is, I could have bought a 5th generation if I wanted to, but I prefered the 6th generation by far. Of course I am biased, but so are the pro 5th. And on top of that, it is the evil vtec, so what do you expect?

:blink:

This ought to be good.

Does sound a bit like a fishing expedition, should anyone educate " Very Fast Ride " on the VTec's Vtec not being a proper VTec rather it is an unfortunate, useless and unnecessary bodge ?

I own a VTEC and I gotta say that the sound of the gear driven cams is awesome, so I'd have to say that the score needs to be adjusted on that one point. VTEC 0 5th Gen +1.

• Member Contributer

i had a chance to buy both $6999 each. the 01 had 900 miles and mine had 6400. i bought the vtec. the 5th gen front is wink.gif well lets just say needs help :blink:

• Member Contributer
That's it! I have heard it all about the "evil vtec", "nothing is better than a 5th generation" and so on.

Here is a comprehensive comparison of the 5th nd 6th generations.

AESTHETICS:

Front: The evil look of the 6th genreration is more refined, and the lights will definitely catch your attention. I can't see that with the 5th. 6th +1 5th 0

I could not dissagree more. I think the front end of the 6th gen looks like a bad rip-off of an r1. Kinda like a retarded bug humped a snowmobile

Rear end: Hands down 6th generation: the undertail pipes, the narrowing tail section are by far a nicer design than the (should I dare to say ugly) rear section of the 5th. There is no way one can even try to modify it to look somehow decent. 6th + 1 5th -1

Again I think you are looking at the wrong bike. The 5th gen tail is nice and tight. the 6th gen tail light looks like is been smashed flat and wide in no way is it "narrow"

Exhaust system: Even with an aftermarket system, the 5th generation rear pipe is in the way of the single sided swingarm. Ok looking at best. On the other hand, the vtec pipes are cleverly located underneath the tail. So nice the look that most models now sport the look. And guess what, even the 5th generation guys are doing it. 6th +1 5th 0

The undertail pipes are ok but they just dont have the sound a 4 into 1 has and if your not into the pipe being in front of the wheel then go high mount.

ENGINE AND FUEL MANAGEMENT

Cam drive: The vtec went back to chain, abandoning the noisy gear driven timing. Hey, most motorcycle are chain driven, and considering that after a while, everyone of us wants to look inside the power plant. 6th +1 5th 0

Vtec or 4 valves: Vtec means: Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. Nothing else. Purpose? lowering emissions. We all have different views on that, but it is becoming a way of making compromise between full out power and very low emissions. Far from being the best system, and it nonetheless a step in the right direction. We can make the vtec with more power and smother transition (pc3), but you cannot have lower emissions on a 5th generation than on a vtec. No matter what is goal, that is a fact. 6th +1 5th 0.

I could care less about emissions. It doesnt matter in my state they dont test bikes. I can feel the vtech in my 02 civic and Its ok for that but on the bike its kinda weak.

CHASSIS

Weight: No point arguing here. 6th 0 5th +1

OTHERS:

Maintenance: Baileyrock has over 40K and no valve adjustment. Wow! Oh what the hell, 6th + 1 5th 0

Evil touch: 6th +1 5th 0

Easier to write down vtec than 5th generation 6th +1 5th 0

The fact is, I could have bought a 5th generation if I wanted to, but I prefered the 6th generation by far. Of course I am biased, but so are the pro 5th. And on top of that, it is the evil vtec, so what do you expect?

As far as bailey not having a valve adjustment for over 40k is based on his choice not to do so. I have 48k on my 5th gen and the only reason the valves where done was because I requested it. Cost was $240 and he said they would have been fine where so close to in spec it really didnt need to be done. Good luck getting the valves on a 6th gen done for that price. 5th gen +2 6th -2

Evil touch??? I got skulls and s&%t so you cant get much more evil then that! 5th gen +15

Last have you spent a day riding both?????? I have and I can tell you first had my 5th gen without a pc3 was quicker off the line and has a better "sweet spot" in the rpm range. Power kickes in sooner and lasts longer. Prolly has to do with the gear driven cam.

I invite you to come to oregon and spend a day on my bike. I will ride yours of course and I will show you roads like you may have never seen in your life.

5th gen wins hands down :blink:

• Member Contributer

5th Gen got bike of the year, and was hailed as the best bike you'll ever need. Press reaction to the 6th Gen, was "Improvments? What improvments?" I like both bikes, but the VTEC did not live up to the promise, and the bike has not made the same leaps forward as the CBR line up.

But that is a whole different thread.

Could I dare to add that the 6th gen's perceived "shortcomings" and it's resulting lower than expected sales figures(?), could be the cause of the VFR possibly sliding into extinction in the very near future?

Honda, Save the VFR!

1) Either dump or improve the VTEC so that it really MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

2) Damn it! Give us some decent suspension components once and or all! Even cruisers have upsidownies up front these days!

3) Give us real brakes. Modern brakes! none of this sliding pin type caliper junk. and make linked brakes optional, like ABS.

4) Consider putting back in the cam gear drive! It's VFR tradition and removing it was just plain dumb!

5) Don't be afraid to tune the engine for more HP! Hate the almost traditional Honda approach of being always the girly-man bike compared to it's competition, in terms of HP. on almost all of their bikes!

6) Give everyone a good color choice!

7) Consider having two versions, A GT and a sport version with the appropriate equipment packages.

8) Sell the bike! Haven't seen any decent ads selling the VFR in years now!

9) Add heated grips as an affordable option at all markets. Bet this simple add would even pull a lot of BMW riders into the fold.

10) Talk to us VFR owners. Instead of trying to just guess what we really want on the next VFRs!

:blink: :lurk: :pissed:

I personally like the looks of the 6th gen very much, but Honda should have just carried over the 5th gen's engine/drivetrain and put all that new VTEC development money into better Showa units, front and back.

JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
I invite you to come to oregon and spend a day on my bike. I will ride yours of course and I will show you roads like you may have never seen in your life.

Boy did you make my day. I was hoping for that kind of reply. :beer: As for going to Oregon, I would definately love to go at one point. Maybe next summer. We do have some pretty decent roads in BC that I am sure you would enjoy. Which ever comes first, I'm in.

As for the yawns and the falling asleep. . . well let just say I kept it that way not offend anyone. . . Just like we fall asleep when reading vtec bashing. :P

• Member Contributer

Let me dig out those pictures again....

IM000015.jpg

IM000016.jpg

Cold hard facts

But you 5-6 gens all miss the fact that they are ugly as sin and the only true bestest looking one is the 4th (1994-1997) "Tru Keeper of the NACA" gen :thumbsup: :D

• Member Contributer
i had a chance to buy both $6999 each. the 01 had 900 miles and mine had 6400. i bought the vtec. the 5th gen front is wink.gif well lets just say needs help :blink:

I have a 5G with delicious cam gear whine but there is no arguing with you about the front end view.

*YAWN*

602__image_09.jpg

It's our Christmas season VFR dead horse beating session tradition!

Let's all kick it a few mor times till there are no more new VFRs to pick on??!!!

We all just want that perfect 7th gen VFR to finally appear under our trees before it's too late........but I think the horse is indeed dead already. :P

Beck

95 VFR

THESE ARE NOT THE OPINIONS OF VFRD OR IT'S AFFILIATES !!! :blink:

This post needs to be taken as pure humor and not turned into a Gen. flame war! <_<

Please remember that Most of us are on VFR's and that's the main reason were here, so bashing any Gen VFR is looked down upon period. This post is very questionable even as a Vtec owner even though no other Gen has been more freely trashed here by other VFR owners than the 6th gen. and post and attitudes like what's found here are a direct result of the constant bashing by non-vtec owners. <_<

I see no positive results possible from letting this post run, so I'm closing it. sad.gif

Archived