• Avon
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Maxis
  2. 2. Sport or Sport Touring

• Sport
    • Sport Touring

Guest ex TZ tuner

I've been running a GP207, 208 Star on the front and a D220 on the rear for several seasons now. The front has a triangle profile that lets the bike snap into corners, though not quite like my TZ :goofy: , and the rear lasts an equitable distance. I mount new tires every fall prior to the rainy season.

Watching Loni and Sarah on Z6's has me considering..

My loyalty has been leaning towards Michelin due to my recent experiences with the PR and PP 2CT and my local race tire contact. In the past I replaced my tires with OEM's at first (D208's when I had my F650CS and 020's on the VFR). I moved to the 020 on the BMW one set of tires before getting the VFR. I liked the life of the 020 versus the D208. I was getting roughly 2K miles on the D208 and almost twice that on the 020 on the F650CS. The VFR and the 020's never got enough street time to tell. I got a flat with 50% tread on one rear and my current 020 rear has 1K miles with plenty of life and is in the garage while the Michelins run the track. The front tires for the 020 and D208 had plenty of life when I moved onto the VFR and Michelins.

I have done trackdays only on Michelins. However, as I'm talking to racers, some are leaning towards Pirelli as they work well on the different tracks around that the NM race clubs travel to (whereas Michelins require a different setup at each track). I may give the Pirelli race compounds a try because of this.

Have been on 020's for the last 2 sets and have had no problems. Get about 10k kms out of them and feel confident in them.

Because I can now get discounts on Pirrelli's I will try a diablo on front and strada on rear.

Wayne

In New Zealand

• 3 weeks later...

Had no reason to swich other than last time at this time of year I found a killer deal on a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsas never looked back. proir to that and still may swich out to the newer Bridgestones, as I still have good things to say about those, but for now there's another 10k before I'll know what I'll do

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I cant wait to ride on the VFR again. Its been almost a month and half since the bike has been in the shop getting repainted. I purchased it in july 06 and rode 7000 miles on stock dumlops. Switched to the pilot powers, and must admit, they completly transformed the bike. Much more agressive and really sticky icky wicky!! But like I said I have not had a chance to test them in the winter (Carolina winter (40-30 degree). I am just going to assume a longer warm up time?

(Where is the spell checker now?? By the way the site looks good!! Good job, only if I could find the spell check key and get thru loading some pics.) :media:

Yes and no, my last three sets have been Michelin Pilot Powers and have been too satisfied in them to consider changing them until something verified as a better balance with superior grip Dry & Wet with ( for a Sports tyre ) its good milage.

I run the Conti road attack on the VFR . I got 6,800 miles out of the last rear tire and the front is still holding strong..New rear tire already has about 800 on it and i plan on riding this weekend so add another 800 to that..

When i rode the dragon the Conti tires did not slip or slide and front and rear tires were cleaned of chicken strips...Just keep the air pressure within 2lbs of factory specs and they will last a long time..

• 2 weeks later...

Pilot Powers are the best. Stickier than slicks I raced on 10 years ago, and ridiculous wear properties. I'm averaging 5,000 miles a rear tire, and I ride very, very hard.

• Member Contributer

I am pretty much sold on the Pilot Powers for their combination of excellent grip and decent wear. For pure performance the Pirelli Diablo is my favorite. Great grip and handling......they just wear out too soon.

Had Dunlop 220s on the bike when I got it. They lasted almost 8kmi rear, and still going on the front.

Changed to Pirelli Diablo Strada in the rear, and love it! The handling is much more smooth and stable. Don't know about the wear yet. Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

I've run through over 28 sets of tires of most brands sense I started riding VFR's and in my opinion the Pilot Power provides the best performance of all worlds and conditions (Fast side of Sport riding) for the buck and I will Not switch until I find something better, which hasn't happened yet!

Even though I only get between 2200-2400 miles from a rear I'll keep buying them. The most I've ever got from any rear was 3k from a Pilot Road which I hated for my needs. :rolleyes: For me the slight gain in mileage using a ST doesn't balance out the loss in performance and confidence compared to a Sport tire. :thumbsup:

Your mileage may very! :P

• Member Contributer

All you need a set of pirelli Diablos. they stick to the road well, warm up fast, and normally last 4500 miles on the rear and 5500-6500 up front. That depends also on how you drive.

"Power is nothing without control"

All you need a set of pirelli Diablos. they stick to the road well, warm up fast, and normally last 4500 miles on the rear and 5500-6500 up front. That depends also on how you drive.

"Power is nothing without control"

Agreed,

Diablo's are fantastic tires, I've run 4-5 sets of them and there were my #1 choice until the PP. I've never had better feedback from a tire than the Diablo and if they just lasted as long as the PP I would still be running them. I avg. only 2000 miles from a Diable rear! :rolleyes:

ps the Power front maintains it's profile better than the Diablo front too!

• Member Contributer

I tend to run more air pressure than most of you "need for speed" junkies since I'm never close to pushing the tires threshhold on any given ride. This and I'm usually fairly smooth rolling in and out of the throttle with mostly no braking helps me get more mileage, less squaring, and less tire distortion (except for front Bridgestones/ Dunlops always cup badly and early on my bikes). I fully understand if I was fast "sport" riding, jockying around air pressures would be in my program. If I get some "reasonably good" mileage out of my new Pilot Powers, this may realistically be a good way to go for other less aggressive riders because I'm looking forward to the extra grip and feel....................................... :thumbsup: :beer:

Since wearing out the orriginals back in '03 - I've run nothing but Metzler Sportec M1's. Do lots of commuting / slab and a fair amount of weekend "fun" riding. Have made a track day recently as well. On average I get 7k out of the back - have always replaced front and back together (front usually has a bit left in it). Tire warm fast and have never had a traction problem wet, dry, twisties, slab..... Maybe others are better but I know what I've got and have full confidence in the tire. Also - I haven't heard any comments of a good all-around tire (which I classify this as) for performance and wear.... BTW - ran 30 PSI in front and back at Laguna in Jan!

Just my .02...... scott

• Member Contributer
Since wearing out the orriginals back in '03 - I've run nothing but Metzler Sportec M1's. Do lots of commuting / slab and a fair amount of weekend "fun" riding. Have made a track day recently as well. On average I get 7k out of the back - have always replaced front and back together (front usually has a bit left in it). Tire warm fast and have never had a traction problem wet, dry, twisties, slab..... Maybe others are better but I know what I've got and have full confidence in the tire. Also - I haven't heard any comments of a good all-around tire (which I classify this as) for performance and wear.... BTW - ran 30 PSI in front and back at Laguna in Jan!

Just my .02...... scott

That is amazing mileage out of an M1. I could never even get 2000 miles out of a M1 rear. You should try M3s. They are very similar to M1s, a little better in most every way, plus last about 50% longer than M1s.

I go back and forth between M3 and Powers depending on what I can get cheaper at the time. I think the Power has a slight edge in wet weather grip, so if they are the same price I take the Powers.

Just my .02...... scott

wow +1 to jeremy's post. I did get 2500 out of one rear once w/ M1's. I went through 4 rears and 2 fronts in 9k miles. good grip, cheap tire, short life. going to try the M3's his round.

• Member Contributer

In a way, blind loyalty to one brand and one model of tire breeds complacency in the manufacturer.

If everyone stuck with one and only one tire, the manufactures would have less reason to constantly attempt to upstage their competitors with a new model.

Pilot Powers are the best. Stickier than slicks I raced on 10 years ago, and ridiculous wear properties. I'm averaging 5,000 miles a rear tire, and I ride very, very hard.

And the reason for this is the constant research and development the makers force each other to do to stay on top of the game.

That being said, I can hands down state that I use Pilot Powers cause they are the best thing out there :goofy: Until something better comes along. I'll be watching. B)

• Member Contributer

It's just easier for me to be a Metzler guy. They've always been exactly what I expected with no surprises. I think of it as funding their R & D not making them complacent. I ran ME1's on the FZR, M1 Sportec's on the Daytona and Sprint RS and now Z6's on the old Sprint and the VFR. I occasionally try something else (and am now especially tempted to try Pilot Powers) but always end up back on Metzlers.

Anything more than 3K on an M1 rear is phenomenal.

I'm at the point of needing a new front tire very soon, just mounted a perelli rear diablo strada rear , it seems to be a decent tire. I came off a Avon st which I didnt care for too much. I ran 3 Z4 rears prior to that

But I've been running a Pilot power front pushing somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 mile, I'm debating going back to Z6 front as I really liked that tire, I'll probably have to do that just as a retest.

I've only ran 3 front tires on my VFR, the z4 which was pretty horrible, I knew that one was coming off, the funny thing it wore into a V shape by the time I ridded it at 6700 mile. When I put the Z6 on it was wonderful right off the bat ( no breakin required), even wet front braking around corners. When I mounted the pilot power, I wondered where my Z6 went. The power has never slipped or anything it just had a different feel, less feel to me, but it works and turn in is quick.

I'll probably go back to Z6 front to quelch my memory, if not as I remembered I'll be back on the front pilot power

I was in Honda the other day, two 07 vfr bikes sporting MEZ4's, I thought those were discontinued?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm at the point of needing a new front tire very soon, just mounted a perelli rear diablo strada rear , it seems to be a decent tire. I came off a Avon st which I didnt care for too much. I ran 3 Z4 rears prior to that

But I've been running a Pilot power front pushing somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 mile, I'm debating going back to Z6 front as I really liked that tire, I'll probably have to do that just as a retest.

I've only ran 3 front tires on my VFR, the z4 which was pretty horrible, I knew that one was coming off, the funny thing it wore into a V shape by the time I ridded it at 6700 mile. When I put the Z6 on it was wonderful right off the bat ( no breakin required), even wet front braking around corners. When I mounted the pilot power, I wondered where my Z6 went. The power has never slipped or anything it just had a different feel, less feel to me, but it works and turn in is quick.

I'll probably go back to Z6 front to quelch my memory, if not as I remembered I'll be back on the front pilot power

I was in Honda the other day, two 07 vfr bikes sporting MEZ4's, I thought those were discontinued?

I'm back on the z6 front after running the pilotpower front for 6500 miles, The differences I've observed, the z6 has very good feel while cornering ( good feedback grip). The pilot power turns in super quick (like on ice) yet holds well ( the feel though is less). I found the z6 to have better bump absorbtion and less tracking of road crevices than PP. all in all, the z6 is a fine tire on the street and will yield more miles, but the PP works too.

I'll stick with the z6, we've kissed and made up. I wouldnt doubt after comparing the m3 and the Z6 is the same compound, the z6 just has more tread.

Archived