Sennheiser Ear Buds

chris2992

• Member Contributer

I have completely worn out my sony MDR-EX81's, and like them alot, but want to try something different this time. I went last night to Ultimate Electronics and tried on the Shure E3c, the Etymotic ER6i's, and then saw the cheaper Sennheiser CX300's. They fit the best, but the kicker was that they had no audio to listen, just voices. Just curious if anyone has used their products or this specific product.

CX300-B_normal.jpg

Sennheiser CX300 Product Description Page

Good Earphone Review Web Page by Brand

• Member Contributer
I have completely worn out my sony MDR-EX81's, and like them alot, but want to try something different this time. I went last night to Ultimate Electronics and tried on the Shure E3c, the Etymotic ER6i's, and then saw the cheaper Sennheiser CX300's. They fit the best, but the kicker was that they had no audio to listen, just voices. Just curious if anyone has used their products or this specific product.

CX300-B_normal.jpg

Sennheiser CX300 Product Description Page

Good Earphone Review Web Page by Brand

Chris, the main conclusion that I've come to now after all my extensive(seriously) testing of many earbuds in terms of use while riding is the noise cancelation abilities of the different earbuds. Without good sound isolation you immediately lose any bottom end the earbuds may have due to not being able to compete with the ambient noise, etc. i.e. even if the buds sound good on their own.....I found that the sound suffered too much with poor sound isolation to make them enjoyable to listen too while riding.

The best sound isolating buds that will work under a helmet(atleast in my case) are the Shure's and the Etymotics. It takes time finding the best fit with the different tips and all but for me, if the sound isolation

isn't close to "earplug" levels, than the sound quality suffers way too much for my tastes.

For reference, I've tried Shure's E2c, E3c and E4c's, Etymotic 6i's, Ultimate ears, Sony EC71's, etc.

FWIW, I'm using the Shure E4c's now.....with the right fit they're small(so no prob with helmet on and off), very clean, and have a good tonal balance.

.02 :P

• Member Contributer

I work in a pro sound store and I have a pair of the shure E2's which sound ok, block out alot of the external noise but are a little bit too bright for me, I am now using a pair of Sennheiser IE4's (their ear buds of In Ear Monitors) they look the same but I don't know the spec's offhand but you could always check their website.They sound great and are small enough to be comfortable under a helmet. I have also tried helmet speakers and have not been pleased with the sound. Hope this helps, also if anybody is interested in a pair of E2's resonably priced let me know

Gary

I'll say this. I am a professional audio engineer and love sennheiser. German made. I use a pair of their headphones in the studio and use their mics whenever I can. Just a word of caution. I think they are now getting commercial enough that the lower end stuff may be exactly that. Also, among professional musicians who use essentially the some kind of headphones motorcyclists look for on stage sennheiser is prety much not used. I dont think they have put enough money into R&D to really come up with a great product. Nor have they developed great isolation. I would stick to Shure, Etymotic, or futuresonics (a lesser known but great sounding earphone). There are other brands with custom earmolds, etc... but it gets really pricey.

Actually for a great compromise, you can get casts taken at an audiologist and then have molds made to fit certain earbuds. That is the best possible solution for noise isolation and comfort.

check out these sites:

sensaphonics

futuresonics

custom molds for earphones

sensaphonics earphone custom sleeves

• Member Contributer
For reference, I've tried Shure's E2c, E3c and E4c's, Etymotic 6i's, Ultimate ears, Sony EC71's, etc.

Wow, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You have a gold mine in just earphones there.

Thanks guys. I will likely go with the Etymotic for price, and they fit better than the E3c's.

• Member Contributer
Wow, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You have a gold mine in just earphones there.

Thanks guys. I will likely go with the Etymotic for price, and they fit better than the E3c's.

No I don't.....I used the buy, try and return technique :goofy:

• 5 years later...
  • Member Contributer

The best sound I've been able to achieve is using my Shure's with the foam tips but they are a pain the arse to put in since you have to pinch and roll the foam between your fingers and then stick in your ear. Last year I bought a cheap extra set of JVC Marshmellow headphones from Fry's electronics for under $20 and the sound was very good for the price.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I use the Shure 215's http://www.sweetwate...e/detail/SE215/ they fit great under the helmet, affordable and really do sound amazing for the money. In ear comfort is great as there are foam and rubber tips to achieve the perfect fit for the situation, and the loop over the ear prevents them from coming out when you slide your lid on.

1600-SE215_detail1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Try amazon.com look at sennheiser CX200 street II 25.00 and they sound great easy fit, different rubber ends for a custom fit! I have been using these for years I buy 3 sets & attach 1 set to my leathers, 1 set to my commuter suit, & one set for the gym. No issues when putting on the helmet!

• Member Contributer

So I have an odd question. I've used custom earplugs but find the over-the-counter foam plugs work better for me. Has anyone ever tried to fit earbuds to those?

• Member Contributer

So I have an odd question. I've used custom earplugs but find the over-the-counter foam plugs work better for me. Has anyone ever tried to fit earbuds to those?

That is basically what the Shure plugs offer as well as the standard rubber inserts. This photo somewhat shows the foam compressed and just like the ear plugs they will fully conform to your ear.

I'm not sure if you could get the shure tips and use them on a different set of earbuds, but it may be worth checking out.

The Shure's will amaze you with how incredible they sound!

• Member Contributer

That is basically what the Shure plugs offer as well as the standard rubber inserts. This photo somewhat shows the foam compressed and just like the ear plugs they will fully conform to your ear.

I'm not sure if you could get the shure tips and use them on a different set of earbuds, but it may be worth checking out.

The Shure's will amaze you with how incredible they sound!

post-19669-0-34550300-1330624457.jpg

• Member Contributer

JVC makes cheap earbuds called Marshmallows (i think) that have an earplug like material that you compress then expand once placed in the ear. If your ear holes are small enough, they work great. They're not quite as good as plugs, but they're the best buds i've found for riding.

• Member Contributer

i have the shure se425 and love them , i like that they are sound isolating . if i use the foam tips i can wear them for 12 hours and no discomfort . plus they sound pretty darm good ... but just remember if your music is ripped at 128kps u can have the best earbuds in the world and u will get a cheap sound . now with large memory mp3 players out there u sound rip at apple lossless to get the best posable sound out of your earbuds

Archived