Speedometer not working

Garville

Hi all,

brought my 2000 VFR 800 bike for a spin home last night for football training and on the way back my speedometer just stopped working. Didn't go rooting around for the cause just yet, wanted to see what you all think first. The digital odometer isn't clocking up the miles either (good for resale value if nothing else).

Is this a big problem or a quick fix? Thanks.

Oh and another quick one, noticed last night that my tail light has gone too, (hopefully coincidence) but is it a big job to replace the bulb?

thanks for any help,

Happy Paddies Days,

Garville.

• Member Contributer

It sounds like the fuse has blown. On my 2003, the specific fuse box is under the throttle. My fuse was shorting out due to a problem with a wire in the license plate light. It affected my running lights, headlight, instrument cluster but tail-lights on a separate unaffected fuse.

Check the sensor itself, maybe it needs a cleaning.

I believe it's located near the shifter.gah.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

+1.gif

On this one, most of the problems like this that have come through this site (mine included) are related to the optical sensor which is either defective or dirty...do a site search and you'll find more discussion on this.

• Forum CEO

The speed sensor is located directly over the front sprocket, its got a nylon nut that fits right over the sprocket bolt. They crack easy if not fitted correctly, and then cranking on the bracket bolts. You can remove it and inspect the nylon nut, I guess you can replace that part alone if its broke.

I had problem with my 2002 speed sensor. Buying a new one was $100CND... amazing.

So, I fixed the problem putting a piece of gray tape in the cavity and glueing it with crazy glue.

Then I rode at 212km to be sure it stays in place :goofy:

Thanks for the advice, i'll check the sensor and give it a clean and see if that does the trick, otherwise the grey tape sound good!!!! I'll let ye know the crack.

Garville- Ireland :goofy:

Still not working! sad.gif

Checked fuses, all ok. Removed the speed sensor and checked it and as it's a sealed unit all appears ok. Followed the lead from the speed sensor up 4" to the connector, disconnected it and everything there seems ok too, wires and connections appear intact, but i cleaned all the connectors for good measure. I checked the voltage at the connectors and power is getting there alright (blew a fuse checking but replaced it and no harm done). Started her up and let it run in first gear while on the center stand and speedometer still fecked.

Interested in finding out how Gilligan fixed this problem with his grey tape. Did you remove the speed sensor or what? Where did you put the tape? etc etc

Also Hisspanicslammer, the nut of the speed sensor that fits over sprocket nut is sound.

Any other suggestion welcome, slan

Garville, Ireland :pissed:

• Member Contributer

I had a prob with mine. I fixed it by using electronic cleaner/treatment (RadioShack) on the power connection plug that connects to the rear of the instrument panel.

I had a prob with mine. I fixed it by using electronic cleaner/treatment (RadioShack) on the power connection plug that connects to the rear of the instrument panel.

sounds like it could be alot of things, I don't fancy chasing the wires all the way back to the instrument panel but if i must.... Is it a big job getting at that connection you mentioned going into the speedo at the back of the control panel, both side cowls have to come off i'd imagine and the what else?

It could very well be that the speed sensor has had it, but i'd like to eliminate all possibilities first.

Check the connector to the speed sensor - it's not far (less than a foot) from the sensor itself. Then the most likjely other culprit is the PCB on the back of the instrument panel - it can get corroded easily (apparently common in the UK).

No-one's answered about your tail-light bulb - easy to do. Get a common dual-filament 21/5W taillight bulb (bayonet type). Take your seat off, turn the black plastic connector of the offending bulb about an eighth turn counterclockwise, and it will come adrift. (Don't be tempted to disconnect the small three-wire connector in the centre - that's not necessary!)

Bulb just fits in bayonet fashion (push in slightly, and turn anticlockwise). Reverse procedure, checking before you put everything back in place that the new bulb works OK.

Check the connector to the speed sensor - it's not far (less than a foot) from the sensor itself. Then the most likjely other culprit is the PCB on the back of the instrument panel - it can get corroded easily (apparently common in the UK).

No-one's answered about your tail-light bulb - easy to do. Get a common dual-filament 21/5W taillight bulb (bayonet type). Take your seat off, turn the black plastic connector of the offending bulb about an eighth turn counterclockwise, and it will come adrift. (Don't be tempted to disconnect the small three-wire connector in the centre - that's not necessary!)

Bulb just fits in bayonet fashion (push in slightly, and turn anticlockwise). Reverse procedure, checking before you put everything back in place that the new bulb works OK.

AT LAST...it's sorted! :D

Checked all connections back to the speedometer and the all appeared fine but I gave them the once over anyway. Took off the sensor again and cleaned it. Then I put a similar sized nut as the front sprocket into my cordless screw gun, inserte it into the white speed sensor socket, let it wrip and hey presto, working. Reckon it was one of the connectors but unable to put my finger on which one.

Replaced that back bulb too, simple job really, I feel a bit of a dizzy having asked how to do it but thanks anyway.

The downloaded service manual was priceless and if you have a 98-01 VFR check this out. With broadband it took 1hr30m to download and failed a few times but eventually got it down. Download speed is crap cus they make their money by adverts and they want you on their site for as long as possible to sell their site,

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18993

thanks for the help, over and out

Garville, Ireland. :beer:

Archived