929/954 Shock Install (5th Gen)

Veefer800Canuck

gallery_554_564_801868.jpg

Reason, the 954 shock has a remote oil reservoir that makes the oil last longer and regulates heat better, also the shock is fully adjustable. The vfr stock shock only has rebound adjustment and not compression, also it does not have a remote oil reservoir.

OK, never one to let fear and good judgment stand in my way, here we go:

Prop up tank and undo the upper shock mount:

gallery_554_564_791865.jpg

954 shock install 001.jpg

Undo the bolt that holds the top mount to the shock:

gallery_554_564_280269.jpg

954 shock install 002.jpg

Undo the lower triangle linkage:

gallery_554_564_472503.jpg

954 shock install 003.jpg

Jack up the swing arm for clearance:

gallery_554_564_801868.jpg

954 shock install 004.jpg

Out she comes:

gallery_554_564_745027.jpg

954 shock install 005.jpg

954/VFR shocks side by each:

gallery_554_564_361913.jpg

954 shock install 006.jpg

VFR upper shock bracket with bolt removed, plus 954 shock bracket for reference, man is that hollow bolt ever beefy:

gallery_554_564_248095.jpg

954 shock install 007.jpg

Need to extend the VFR upper shock bracket approximately 42mm, so I got a 1/2" extra-heavy pipe collar, shortened it to suit like this:

gallery_554_564_480713.jpg

954 shock install 008.jpg

It was bolted together in preparation for welding.

After welding and painting:

gallery_554_564_628797.jpg

954 shock install 009.jpg

An M10x120mm bolt was needed to hold the modified mount in place. You'll note the washer, trimmed to clear the frame cross member. This is because I didn't want the pipe collar bearing directly against the aluminum frame, I wanted to spread the load over a larger area, hence the washer. Plus, I deliberately cut the collar a tad short so I could make up more ride height as required, limited by the lower dog bone/shock eye clearance issue. I found I'll need at least two more washers added:

gallery_554_564_114089.jpg

954 shock install 010.jpg

gallery_554_564_184304.jpg

954 shock install 011.jpg

I wound up shortening the bolt to 114mm, cleaned up the end threads with a die plus I ground down the bolt head to .175" (for adequate clearance of the upper shock eye) which is still thicker than the stock VFR mount bolt head was. Also used a Nylock nut to keep things attached.

Reinstall modded upper mount, bolt shock into place:

gallery_554_564_384989.jpg

954 shock install 013.jpg

Reattach the triangle linkage:

gallery_554_564_46544.jpg

954 shock install 014.jpg

Voilà! Shock install complete! Actually, I still need to add another couple of shims. Ride height is not quite where I want it.

I had originally done Ver 1.0 of the upper mount:

gallery_554_564_345711.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

954 shock install 015.jpg

But I decided it wasn't beefy enough, only 3mm wall thickness, and the OE shock bracket is 5mm.

So I fabbed Ver 2.0, but there's a wiring harness right there, and I was concerned about rubbing with the square tubing:

gallery_554_564_500898.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

954 shock install 016.jpg

So ultimately I went with Ver. 3.0 which has 6mm wall thickness and no possibility of rubbing on the wiring harness:

gallery_554_564_628843.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

954 shock install 009.jpg

• Member Contributer

The 2 differences in the 954 and 929 shocks are: spring rate and location of the gas canister. I used a 954 and changed it out for the 929. I only weight 140 lbs. The spring rate wasn't a problem. The 929 canister is farther away from the exhaust pipe. I felt more comfortable about that. The tech at Penske said that the oil temp in the shock is more controlled by the usage of the shock rather than it's environment. Either works fine.

Nice write up, very well informed. Question didn't the 54 shock resivoir get in the way? must not have or you would have said something. also this is on your VFR right?? Hmm wonder what is different between yours and a 4G? still a good job explaining.

Well, the reservior is sort of close to the exhaust system, like slightly less than an inch.

If you rotate it, there's interference between the plastic undertray and the reservoir, plus the damping adjuster screws would then face the wrong way and be obscured.

I thought about spinning the shock, but the part of the plastic undertray that interferes is a shield for the main wiring harness to/from the rear of the bike (ECU, etc) and I didn't feel comfortable cutting that away. Also there's a mount for a fuse ahead of the battery that sprouts off that plastic and you'd lose that too if you cut it away to make clearance for the reservoir.

Very nice. I wonder if the spring is heavy enough as the 954 weighs about 100 lbs less then the VFR.

All in all, on a 5th gen, a 929 shock would probably be a better choice, fitment wise and spring rate wise. 929=15.3kg/mm, same as the VFR, 954 = 14.6kg/mm

As for the 4th gen, I can't say. Probably possible, but somebody else will have to chime in.

Nice post Rob ! :thumbsup:

For my spacer, I just used a piece of 1" aluminum 6 sided bar stock(solid) and drilled a hole in it for the bolt. Light, strong, easy.

shockmount002.jpg

:thumbsup:

I also agree the the 929 shock is the better way to go for this swap !

I also agree the the 929 shock is the better way to go for this swap!

:beer: Like this one perhaps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4596249503

1b_1.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

This post brought to you by Safe-T and Auctionsniper.com :salesman:

If a guy was going to get the 929 or 954 shock resprung and revalved, is the 929 still a better way to go than the 954......or does it matter?

From what I've been picking up, it seems that the 929 is easier to fit??

Randy

It's all in the way the reservoir faces.

See this post here for pics:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=186175

I thought I could find a way around it, and 954 shocks are newer, with the possibility of finding a mint one easier, so I got one, but there isn't an easy solution to the reservoir interference without cutting the undertray. Even then, the adjuster screws would face the wrong way and be obstructed.

But yea, 929 is a better fit physically and spring rate wise.

You can back off the pre-load, place the top end in a vice or somehow restrain it, thread a screwdriver though the eyelet of the bottom end, and rotate the bottom 180.

The problem still remains that either the 954 shock reservoir will reside close to the rear cylinder's exhaust pipes if faced to the right, or interfere with the plastic undertray ahead of the battery if faced to the left. I thought about facing it rearward by rotating the upper shock mount, but that puts the compression damping adjuster screw facing the aft cylinder head.

And rotating the lower shock eye only moves the rebound damping adjustment screw, not the compression damping adjustment screw which is located at the top.

None of these problems exist with the 929 shock. So I'm switching to the 929 unit as soon as it arrives. Good thing they're cheap and plentiful. 26 bucks!

Dr. Toto made the call on the 954 shock interference and I thought I could carve out a way around it, but not without making compromises I didn't feel comfortable with. The interference between the reservoir and the undertray when faced to the left is greater than 1/2", maybe closer to 3/4"

Isn't Bodging fun??? :beer:

• Member Contributer

I am planning on doing this mod over the winter. I have been thinking of making an adjustable spacer. What do you think?

gallery_829_77_4908.png border='0' alt='user posted image' />

shock spacer

The outside dimension is 25mm across the flats. The small hole is 10mm threaded to fit the bracket mounting bolt. The Large hole is 18mm threaded to provide the adjustabe length. Minimum length is 30mm. Maximum is approximately 42mm with the half of the threaded portion inside. My first choice for material is aluminum since it would be easy to machine. Not sure if it would strong enough.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went out and installed the 929 shock in place of the 954 unit today.

I feel somewhat better about having the correct spring rate, (15.3kg/mm Vs 14.6) and a lot better about how the reservoir is not so close to the exhaust system anymore. Good thing EBAY CBR shocks are cheep!

What I did discover was that the 929 shock is approximately 4mm longer than the 954 shock. At least the Erion 929 unit is. (The one with the white spring Vs. yellow)

I slid the shock home without tightening up any of the bolts and checked the unweighted ride height with the longer shock and modded upper mount. I had wanted to increase it further after the initial install of the 954 shock, so with the longer unit, it seemed prudent to check first.

I wound up with 12mm more ride height as compared to stock but I figured I could still obtain a tad more yet, so I removed the shock and upper mount again and added a second washer in addition to the one shown in this pic:

gallery_554_564_184304.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

The second washer all by itself gave me approximately 3mm more ride height.

Glad now that I made the modded upper mount on the short side to begin with.

There isn't really any easy way to increase it further, I could possibly slide in 1 more washer without having the lower shock eye contact the dogbone, but the forward mounting bolt of my hugger would contact the inside surface of the LH peg bracket. I could remove the peg bracket and relieve it in that spot, but it didn't seem important enough to try. Also, with a new rear tire and full tread, the rear tire will probably be either only a couple mm off of or maybe even lightly resting on the ground with the bike on the centerstand anyway. Can't go much more than that in any practical sense.

SO, after all is said and done, I've got 15mm more rear ride height than stock and 11mm less ride height in the front. Mind you, this is completely based on unweighted measurements IE: wheels totally off the ground in each case, measuring from the axle to a reference point on the frame.

This should nullify the effects of the greater trail from the RC51/954 triple clamps and once I get a fresh rear tire it should steer as quick as or quicker than stock.

Hurry Spring! :wheel:

Wonder if I might ask a couple questions, since I now have time to work on the VFR. Mine ('98 purchased in september) is purported to have been computracked and modded. I do think my rear is higher, and it has an Ohlin shock. Apparently, the dogbone and lower bracket are off a 929 which some suspension guru did.

Did you use the other components, or just the shock?

Are there a part numbers stamped on the components that allow me to verify the orignal application?

Lastly, is the purpose of your mod simply to gain a more efficient shock, or are you "tweaking" things for handling?

Thanx, Rick

The shock is off an Erion edition 929, the triangle linkage and dogbone are standard VFR800 items.

The 929 coincedentally has the same spring rate as the VFR, 15.3 kg/mm

The reason for the shock install is to complement the front end which has been swapped out for RC51 forks and brakes.

The 929 shock is 3-way adjustable and has the same stroke length as the VFR shock.

So I gain compression damping adjustment and an external reservoir.

I'd surely like an Ohlins or HyperPro or WP shock, but this rear shock is a real bargain compared to an aftermarket unit.

Maybe eventually if I find a used shock in good shape I'll pick it up, but I didn't have a grand for Ohlins or even 500 for a HyperPro. Translate that from USD to Cdn and it's $$$ quick.

And raising the rear ride height is to compensate for the increased trail due to fitting the RC51/CBR954 triple clamps.

gallery_554_564_20628.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

100_0230.jpg

gallery_554_564_128946.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture005.jpg

OK, thanx. I kinda understood, but I am new to the VFR fold. Just sold my BMW RT.

P.S. That's nice, but are you sure you can still call it a VFR?? :lol:

Actually, i'm calling it a GL800RR-SP2 now. :wheel:

GL = Goldwing for the touring mods

800 = obvious

RR = for the performance mods

SP2 = for the RC51 forks

Hope you enjoy the smoothness of the VFR. I rode passenger on a BMW Boxer once and I'm not sure how anyone could stand the vibration. I figured an opposed motor would be smooth, but I guess it needs to be a 4 or a 6 like the 'wing or a Volkswagen or a Subaru.

• 3 months later...
Is it just me, or does that 929 shock look wayyy shorter than the original?

You ever get this sorted? (I see this post is several months old...)

Yes it is shorter, but has almost identical shock stoke length. IIRC, 57mm Vs 58mm

It's shorter because of the design on the shock, Internal reservior for the VFR Vs external reservior for the CBR.

The longer upper shock mount takes care of the difference in length.

gallery_554_564_114042.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

It's sorted (using a 929 shock, not a 954) and working fine in the limited ride time I've had (75km).

• 2 weeks later...
Will a SHock from a 2002 gixxer 1000 work seems to look the same as the 929?

I have absolutely no idea. Let me have a look.

<disappears into the internet>

:joystick:

<reappears armed with facts>

:pissed:

First off, the '99 VFR shock spring rate is 15.3kg/mm, the 929 is coincidentally, exactly the same.

2002 GSXR1000 is only 7.7 kg/mm.

So right off the hop, your spring is like half as stiff as it needs to be.

Need: new spring. And revalving to suit said spring.

Length: GSXR shock = 329mm, which is longer than a VFR800 shock by 4mm. Probably would fit and raise the rear of the bike by approx. 10mm overall with the stock upper shock mount. This is a good thing in and of itself.

Shock stroke length, GSXR= 74mm Vs VFR800 which is only 58mm.

So you'd have waay too much wheel travel and the swingarm would extend upwards too much at full compression. Like an extra inch and a half more upwards travel. 6.6" Vs 5.1" Not good.

The only way I could see it working is to respring the shock, revalve it for the new twice as stiff spring, and fit some sort of internal stop to limit the shock's travel to 58mm of stroke.

Probably it's doable by a professional suspension shop like Racetech, Aftershocks, Lindemann, Traxxion, etc, but by the time you did all that, you could buy an aftermarket shock and be off riding.

The longer upper shock mount takes care of the difference in length.

gallery_554_564_114042.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

It's sorted (using a 929 shock, not a 954) and working fine in the limited ride time I've had (75km).

Oooh....oooooh! I have a picture like that! [of course, I learn't it from veefer, HS, BR and other pioneers here! :thumbsup: ]

gallery_4707_1061_1354762.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Finished Shock Extention Tack Welded to OEM Bracket, and with Top Washer Tack Welded too, for Load Bearing on Frame Mount, and a Flat Spot on Washer for Clearance at Mount

Okay, shop monkeys, it's time to stop showing off welding skills and talk about seat of the pants riding impressions!  :P

Is there significant improvement in feel and control?

Well, the ride is certainly more "taut" for lack of a better description.

I still haven't foodled with all the adjustments yet. I've only been through one tank of fuel so far this year.

I've basically got the 929 shock set at the factory default settings (for a 929 that is).

When I get some more time, I'll mess with it more. But I have absolutely no idea when I'll have more time. :beer:

Somebody wanna send me some? :joystick:

• 2 months later...

Rob, thanks for your great write-up! I was inspired by reading it and decided for this season to upgrade to a 929 strut.

My parts list:

'00 929RR Erion Edition shock ($21 shipped from *bay)

1/2" x 4" galvanized steel plumbing pipe ($3 from Lowes)

M10 x 1.50 x 110mm bolt ($2.75 from local supplier)

3 steel washers ($0.48 from Lowes)

M10 x 1.50 lock nut ($1.45 for two pack from Lowes)

2 1/4" alternator spacer from '64-'76 V8 Mopar (on hand)

Hint: if you can find a M10 x 1.25 x 110mm bolt, you could use the the stock lock nut, which has a metal lock instead of nylon. They were out of stock locally...

Pulling the stocker was a snap thanks to jacking up the swing arm!

Getting the tack welded bolt off the VFR mount was a b*tch. I used an air saw then the Chevy tool (32oz hammer) with the mount in a vice to encourage the welds to let go. Here's what came out:

gallery_1047_3908_11773.jpg

(sorry the image isn't clearer, using a borrowed camera)

After measuring and re-measuring, I cut my spacer pipe to ~37mm (1.455" according to the dial caliper). With the reservoir barely touching the undertail, rear height is up ~12mm. My 3 stack of washers measured 0.241" for a total additional spacing of ~43mm (1.696") from stock.

Here is the mount before priming and paint:

gallery_1047_3908_8946.jpg

And here's the alternator spacer inside the pipe. It pressed in easily with the vice:

gallery_1047_3908_12401.jpg

The shock will slip into place with the new spacer/mount already attached (don't torque fully until it is in place).

I used these guidelines to preset the shock:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspen...ngs/index4.html

Hope this helps somebody else looking to do the same update.

Tomorrow will be setting the sag and going on a check ride. Wish me luck!

Riding Impressions

This is a whole nuther bike. Everything feels more stable: in the turns, over rough road, putting power to the ground. I feel like I'm riding slow because of the difference from stock.

I've ridden a buddy's track prepped '01 R1 quite a bit. It has an Ohlins. I would say the 929 rear suspension setup on my VFR is equally confidence inspiring.

Of course, now the front suspension's limitations seem even more pronounced. I can only imagine the handling prowess and stopping power of an RC51 fork/brake swap. Hoping to at least go Race Tech springs/valves with F3 cartridge meld.

I would suggest this update to anybody not timid of the detailed steps. Even if you don't have access to a welder, you can measure everything and have a local shop weld the spacer in place.

Also, I checked the price on the upper mount ($9.89) just in case I needed to fall back to the stocker. Might be a good backup for anybody on the fence:

http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?se...g=50233-MZ7-000

Now there are no excuses wink.gif

• 7 months later...

WTF? I've got mine all fabbed up and am trying to install, but the only way it fits puts the adjustment screws to the RIGHT side of the bike where it is rather difficult to get at them. Been scouring the site for a pic of one installed, and all I've come up with is this one from Rob:

gallery_554_564_46544.jpg

But I think that is a 954 shock from the way I read it. What am I missing here?!?!?! I haven't ridden in six months, I NEED to get this back together!!!

Edit: here is my shock, from what I've read I believe it's a 929 item. Perhaps I am mistaken?

63f8_1_b.JPG

Don't know how helpful this is going to be seeing as how my bike is in pieces at the moment.

I guess you can see the shock really well, but nothing else.

Maybe the interference with the plastic undertray you are experiencing is not a problem for me because of my underseat exhaust?

I cut and modified the plastic battery box and rotated it forward as much as possible for the exhaust project.

000_0099.jpg

000_0100.jpg

000_0101.jpg

000_0102.jpg

Good luck, I'm sure you can make it work. Maybe trim the battery box if possible?

Oh, and the shock in the first pics in this thread IS a 954 shock, the one with the yellow spring and gold reservoir.

The later shock with the white spring and the black reservoir is an Erion edition 929 shock.

Yours is a 929 shock based on the reservoir design, spring colour be damned.

• 3 months later...
Besides the 929/954 shocks, any other compatible ones? RC51? Ducatis? R1s/R6s?

Compatible as in mounting points, length and travel. Spring is not a big issue as it can be replaced quite easily.

i just put an f4i shock on mine. .5" shorter, so you simply add washers or spacer, but standard mount worked great. upgraded my spring and had it revalved. shock was ~$20-30 OFF ebay and the spring was $100 and the revalve was $150...so $300 and i practically have a new show w/ reservoir and compression adj.

here is link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry395670

I am looking to do the 929 shock upgrade to my 5th gen soon. Is there a particular model year 929 shock needed. I was also wondering if pre-load adjustments are still easy, as they are w/ the 5th stocker? Would it be worthwhile to have it revalved/rebuilt before installing. My guess is its easy enough to remove and have re-worked if it turns out the one I get from fleabay is worn out.

The 929's were only made in 00-01 models and standard one's had a yellow spring and Erion models had white springs. Stock they have the SAME spring rate as the VFR so other than spacing it's a straight bolt in w/o mods. Most people want/need a heavier spring on the VFR so that would also apply to the CBR shock on the VFR, but you can sure run it untill you plan to upgrade the rest of the suspension w/o issue! :thumbsup:

Someone here did use a 954 shock too if I'm not mistaken, but the 929 is the easiest mod for the 5th gen.

Also look here.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c+shock+options

I have a 2004 and neither the 929 nor the 954 shock will fit either way( facing left or right) and keep the same ride height. I made a spacer the length of the difference between the stock shock and the 954/929, well the res on the 954 hits the engine, and the 929 hits a hard line ( hydralic probably). So now I have to buy a longer bolt and make a longer spacer. This however will change my ride geometry and change the handling of the bike. Something I wish I didn't have to do. Anyhow, anyone have any other suggestions ( rather than buying a $1000 shock).

Check here, he installed a 929/954 shock on a Vtec!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...0506&hl=929