Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

• Member Contributer

Indiana doesn't have much in the way of twisties, but even down south you should be able to get more than 4k miles out of them if you keep the pressures right.  I cupped a front Angel GT on my '07 but I am heavy on the front brakes and its heavier than my 5th gens.

1 hour ago, 3dcycle said:

that's what I am running right now. roughly 2000 miles and they are starting to flatten off from commuting on the highway with them. next week I should be able to test them in some good corners.

I've got right around 4K on this set,  they will easily make it to 8k,  most of the time they last 10-11k where the rear goes first,  the front last a bit longer,  but I'll swap them all out at the same time.

Did I mention I like the tread design?  LOL I wonder how many get a tire because it looks good?

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, RVFR said:

I've got right around 4K on this set,  they will easily make it to 8k,  most of the time they last 10-11k where the rear goes first,  the front last a bit longer,  but I'll swap them all out at the same time.

Did I mention I like the tread design?  LOL I wonder how many get a tire because it looks good?

I didn't know tires could look good......

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Rode with the brand new Angel GT's yesterday and they do ride softer than any Bstone I've had on.  They don't pick up every tiny micro-bump but do have good feedback.  Other than that, they handle like any other ST tire I've had.  They remind me of PR2's as far as handling.  Maybe very slightly better.  We shall see as to longevity.  New shoes always feel better anyway.  

• Member Contributer

I put on a set of Bridgestone T30 Evos during the 2nd day of the NC trip and WOW.  I don't say that often.  Just Wow.

Never had so much confidence during hard riding.  Anything I could through at them was absorbed without complaints in perfectly predictable manner.

I cannot speak to the longevity, but they held up very well to 3 days of hard riding and look like they can carry me through another NC trip with ease.

Previous B-stone S21s melted away in 2-3 fun days on me.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/26/2017 at 5:25 AM, Rice said:

I put on a set of Bridgestone T30 Evos during the 2nd day of the NC trip and WOW.  I don't say that often.  Just Wow.

Never had so much confidence during hard riding.  Anything I could through at them was absorbed without complaints in perfectly predictable manner.

I cannot speak to the longevity, but they held up very well to 3 days of hard riding and look like they can carry me through another NC trip with ease.

Previous B-stone S21s melted away in 2-3 fun days on me.

T30 EVO's are being replaced by a new T31 tire starting early 2018

• Member Contributer

Glad you like them.  Stones have always gripped well for me and worn OK but, my gawd, they ride hard.  That has applied to any kind of Bstone for me to the point I'm finished with them.  I'm tired of being beaten up and am only going to adjust my suspension so much because of a hard riding tire.  NC is a great place to tire test and have fun.  

• 2 years later...

I had Metzeler Z6s Installed on June 2 and took these pictures this morning. I rolled up 5024 mi in the month of June .

Verdict; Good bang for the buck but, I liked the Pirelli STs better for the same money.

These tires were $215 on Amazon and worked well for the first 90% of their life. On the ride yesterday I could feel the front

end starting to move around a bit more than I'd like in some aggressive corners. 

I never used the rear brake on this set of tires and the rear "cords" are starting to show.

Curiously, the previous set of tires ( Pirelli Angel STs ) I experimented with using the back brake a lot and they lasted for about 

6000 mi before the rear tire started showing cords. Using the back brake can be nice but, my feeble brain has very little capacity

( IE balancing front and back brakes ) so I'm back to my exclusive use of fronts. Next set Metzeler Roadtec 1s....Yippee !

IMG_A3562.jpg

IMG_A3563.jpg

IMG_A3565.jpg

• Member Contributer

Beginning of June I changed my tires. I had a set of Pilot Road 5s on my 800 that I'd mounted in September. After 6500 miles the rear was past the wear bars and handling like crap. The front had reached the wear bars. Since this was a Autumn/Winter/Spring set I'm not surprised I burned out the center, also because my suspension was worn out (got it refreshed in May). I put on a set of S21 takeoffs to hold me over until I decide what to try next. The plan is to do a lot of mileage so I need something that'll handle the miles without getting out of shape really fast.

• Like 1

Funny I just told my shop the next tires I buy will be PR5s. Your statement is not making me so confident. I figured PR5s would be good for 7000+ mi. Say it ain't so ! I really like Metzeler Roadtec 1s but, I couldn't get more than 7k out of a set and I just had set 3 installed today. Not consecutively....it's complicated.

• Member Contributer

YMMV?

That 6500 miles was with worn out suspension so the tires were eating themselves, and it was mostly straight up and down. If you find something that grips well and will last 7k, let us know for sure.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, RC79NC001 said:

Funny I just told my shop the next tires I buy will be PR5s. Your statement is not making me so confident. I figured PR5s would be good for 7000+ mi. Say it ain't so ! I really like Metzeler Roadtec 1s but, I couldn't get more than 7k out of a set and I just had set 3 installed today. Not consecutively....it's complicated.

My last rear tire was Michelin Road 5. Got 16,200k's 10,066miles out of It, all country riding, I may not be fast but I'm definetly not a slow coach!

Looking at my records I'm generally getting 16 to 17,000ks out of a rear be it PR2's PR4's or the Road 5's I'm certainly a Michelin Man, as they say, when you're on a good thing stick to it!

There are just sooooooo many variables when it comes to tire life/distance. And as always YMMV.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

It's the old story, if you want longevity, you want harder compounds and perhaps dual compounds.  If you want grip and handling/confidence in the hard twisties, you want something softer.  Your mileage is dependent on your riding style, right wrist, how hot you go into corners, etc.  Use only others experience with similar style..... no way I'll ever get Grum's mileage out of tires.

PR2's and RS3 are harder, just be more careful when it's cooler out (40-50's, spring/fall) and if wet.  Good in the hot and dry.  I prefer a little softer, so PR4/5, T31, Angel GT, Z6.  I use Z6 fronts a lot, dual compound, will notice a band of the harder compound in the middle if you do lots of twisties.  Currently running a Shinko Raven set on one of my bikes and they are darn good if I do say so, and cheap (don't let that fool you).  Currently on the Gen5, have Angel GT rear (190/55) and Raven front.... probably next time would stick to 180/55 rear, but quite good.

Dislike tread patterns that are prone to cupping/scalloping, PR4 fronts just begging for that.  PR3's even softer, worse and I avoid both.  Basically saying, not necessarily are sets good front/rear, but they can be.  Most without their own tire changing equipment will think a little differently, I like being able to change tires out at will.

• Member Contributer

The moment I bought new tires, I promptly forget the price and the mileage on the odometer.

Repeat when the tyres are worn.

All I remember is the FUN i had riding my bike(s) :goofy:

YMMV

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Angel GT's.  They're expensive but last a long time and the edges, after yesterday, gripped superbly.  Got a Cycle Gear flyer in the mail this weekend with rear Bridgestone T30's for $99 and I'll pass on them.  Bridgestones beat me up too badly.  Hard sidewalls.  Never will one be on my wheels again.   

• Member Contributer
On 7/2/2020 at 12:50 PM, lazyeye said:

Beginning of June I changed my tires. I had a set of Pilot Road 5s on my 800 that I'd mounted in September. After 6500 miles the rear was past the wear bars and handling like crap. The front had reached the wear bars. Since this was a Autumn/Winter/Spring set I'm not surprised I burned out the center, also because my suspension was worn out (got it refreshed in May). I put on a set of S21 takeoffs to hold me over until I decide what to try next. The plan is to do a lot of mileage so I need something that'll handle the miles without getting out of shape really fast.

Because the surface abrasiveness varies so greatly from area to area, can you share how many miles you get from other known tires so we can compare the PR5 with something we know from our area?

• Member Contributer

Just gad a set of Dunlop RoadSmart III's fitted to my 4th gen. I am WELL chuffed with them.

• Member Contributer

I’m with Dutchy. I have been running Roadsmart 3s on my 8th Gen for the last 45,000kms and get over 20,000 out of a rear. They hold their shape well, unless you do lots of freeway miles. Roadsmart 4s are now available in OZ.

• Member Contributer

Roadsmarts will be my next tire.  Dunlop seems to be less costly than my fav. Angel GT's that I can never find discounted.  They sure do wear great though.  

Bought a pair of Road 5’s the try this season, so far so good, 2500 miles, plenty of dry and some wet heavy rain days and I’m really liking them. I don’t ride the bike hard or to the edges but push it along now and then. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Conti Road Attack 3....grip like a sport tire, wear like a touring tire.

If you have a 5.5” rear try a 170 and be amazed at the feeling, it is as though your VFR lost 100 lbs in weight.