Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

• Member Contributer

Where I live and ride in WV the Pilot Road handeled and wore evenly. Year before last I tried the Pilot Road 2 and the sides wore out before the middle. Around here the roads have more turns than straights. I don't want a multi compound tire.

What tire do I get now that they are no longer making Pilot Road?

Love Qualifiers for play days. (sorry folks, Dunlop guy)

Tried Roadsmarts this year and impressed as hell. Led a group of sport guys the day after I installed them in intermittent rain and no one was even close. GSX-R's, 999, R6, the wet bite was fantastic. Now at 15000 kms on them and barely starting to square off. Lasting very well and side grip is very impressive-no chicken strips!

I am using Metzetler X4 for the rear (Sport-touring tire), and found that it is okay for the normal straight road, but not good for the twisty road. It makes the bikes difficult to bend down and sometimies i feel the bike "shaking" coz of the tire profile.

Gotta change to street type soon.

Personally, I have Pirelli Angels, but they were not listed. The grip is awesome! Great in wet or dry, and a wider surface of tire is in contact with the road. Making the twisties a dream .

I'm still running the stock BT020. I have almost 8k on the bike and the tread looks fine but they are starting to square off. I was thinking about going to Michelins but Bike magazine (Brit pub, probably the best magazine out there!) thinks the new BT023 sets the standard so I might go with them.

I rode the bt23 GT, and I'll never get a BT 23 again, too slick on the sides , fine on straightline or big sweepers. If all one does is ride interstates and Highways, should be fine. But in the tight stuff with slick road, the 23 shows its weakness on the sides. Luckily I didnt have to ride in any real inclement cold rainy weather, it was during the summer.

The bt 21 rear, which I like, stands head a shoulders over a BT23 traction wise and cut in wise. But Bridstone was after a life increase, that did happen, but the tire is not as good performance wise from my experience, not even close.

NOw somebody wanted a BT23gt, cause they do 2 up alot, that situation, would probably work well, cause its a Pure tractor tire, stout son on B, worse tire I ever had to mount!

Edited by spud786

I believed the Pilot Road 2 was the best tire I have ever used. Now, I can say the Pilot Road 3 is the best tire I have used (sport-touring wise). Awesome in the rain, glue in the dry, and glue around the twisties (NC not FL...LOL). PR3 two thumbs up, way up!

I believed the Pilot Road 2 was the best tire I have ever used. Now, I can say the Pilot Road 3 is the best tire I have used (sport-touring wise). Awesome in the rain, glue in the dry, and glue around the twisties (NC not FL...LOL). PR3 two thumbs up, way up!

One of my long time riding buddies is running the PR3 on his K1300 and he doesn't like them as much as the 2 when pushing them. :ph34r:

One of my long time riding buddies is running the PR3 on his K1300 and he doesn't like them as much as the 2 when pushing them. :ph34r:

BR, do you gather its a front tire thing or the rear?

BR, do you gather its a front tire thing or the rear?

He was talking about the feel of the rear when pitching it hard into a turn.

Well its the rear Id be after, course that 1300 bike is much heavier and longer, dont know how that factors in. I bought the last proad2 a couple weeks ago Locally, they may become scarce, the road 3 was about 10 or $15 more. Ive still have that tire on hand ready for mount, just squeaking the last few miles.

But next time, I maybe ply Guinea, and maybe not >G Thanks for da Info!

For me, best tire is Pilot Road 2. I run 15,000 miles with them.

Going off memory, and I could be wrong)only seen them once and werent on my list to BUY, the road 3 rear has a more triangular or more narrow profile than the road2, If my memory is correct, it may remove the slower turn in of the road 2 rear, but its just Babble unless I run one to test.

But maybe , my memory remarks here, catches a thought, with someone whos ran both?

Guest 03Cloud

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what tires to use on a 2003 VFR? I've run the original tires (Dunlop Sportmax II) through 7800 miles and they now need replacing. I ride mostly touring and commute. I am considering the Mitchelin Pilot Power. Has anyone had any experience with them and how much miles would you expect them to last? Thanks in advance.

Guest awksedgreep

I have new roadsmarts on mine. They have 1k+ miles so far with no sign of wear. I know that doesn't help much, but I can keep this thread updated with info. I'm about to put another 1k on the bike this week.

The magazine review I saw on them said they put 15k km on them and they were still going.

This site has tons of reviews posted.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/13124/PRODUCT-REVIEW/Dunlop-Roadsmart-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

'njoy,

awk

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what tires to use on a 2003 VFR? I've run the original tires (Dunlop Sportmax II) through 7800 miles and they now need replacing. I ride mostly touring and commute. I am considering the Mitchelin Pilot Power. Has anyone had any experience with them and how much miles would you expect them to last? Thanks in advance.

Commuting and touring, Ppower not the best choice, atleast on the rear. Id cross that one off.

The rear road 2 cant be beat for Life + performance, Michelin is dominant in this regard.

The front, a road 2 or My preferable original Ppower on the front.

• Member Contributer

I just replaced a MPR2CT after 16000+ km, with a new one, same type & brand on a 02 VFR.

Tyre is used mostly for touring and occasionaly long trips for work which are mostly straight Highways (300+km)

• Member Contributer

I have just finished using up my second pair of Dunlop RoadSmarts dual compound tires. Each set lasted 13,000 + miles. I am consider myself a moderately aggressive rider and do a lot of long distance riding. They have met all my needs and have never let me down. They do take a while to warn up (I live in Minnesota and do a lot of cold weather and rain riding. I have an '01 and typically get 50+ mpg.

I do love them. However I am very interested in the Michelin Pilot Road 3 for it's particularly wet traction. They will probably be my next replacement tire. Anyone have long-term experience with them?

I hear they go well with the best motorcycle oil. :beatdeadhorse::rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

13k miles? That is something. I get far less than that from my sport touring bikes/tire combos. I'm not getting anywhere near 50MPG on my '99 either. One of us is doing something wrong. lol

Once these Michelins that came on the bike wear out, I'm likely to go with Q2 or RoadSmarts.

Best motorcycle oil, 'eh? Thems is fightin' words! lol

You guys and your mileage crack me up. Come to Florida....nothing lasts down here. The PR2 did but still nothing compared to 13k mile stories...LOL Too much speed and heat in the railing state for us. BR>I ran the PR3 all the way when I replaced the PR2 @ TMAC---no difference noticed from me.....HUGE difference in the rain though. I was cruising 80mph through rain the other day and didn't realize how smooth the ride was until I saw the speedo....LOL.

• Member Contributer

I agree. I get 3500 to maybe 5000 out of a sport touring tire. 13000 seems unachievable.

• 2 weeks later...