Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

Guest apaquin

So which one is it? the tire which will get above average in the followings...

- wear (mileage)

- grip (wet & dry)

- price

smile.gif

As this poll and tire model was getting dated I did some updating and zeroed out the counts to start fresh for 2011.

BR

• 8 months later...

Never been a big fan of Dunlop Sport tires for my type of riding. I used 6-8 sets of 207's which were a great/cheap dry grip tire, but they Sucked Big time in wet conditions which I'm always getting caught in. I now enjoy wet riding cond. after finding tires that will allow amazing lean angles and good speed in rain/wet conditions.

I pretty much only use Sport rated not Sport Touring type tires because I feel a Big difference in grip between the two in my riding style. Once I found that different tires could offer much better wet grip I will never go back to a tire that can't provide excellent Wet & Dry grip unless it's just a track day tire.

My experience and most tire test show Dunlops at the bottom of wet grip, so that will keep me from trying them again.

The best tire I've ever used are the standard Diablo's with exceptional wet & dry grip (road use) , they provided me the highest confidence level I've ever experienced in any condition period ! The Pilot Power are a close second, providing aprox. 95% on the confidence level, great turn in and they maintain profile on the front better than any other tire I've used. They are off a little in wet grip, offering very good grip just off the Diablo slightly. The main reason I'm running Power's is that they last aprox. 10-20% longer than the Diablo's.

Ride On Viffer's.

PS both the Diablo and Power will grip great right down to the cords!

This is a Power with aprox. 2250 miles on it.

gallery_301_21_11891.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

shop-garage 007.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest RIDER_44

I loved my BT020s stuck under every condition and situation I put them in. I would say that I am an aggressive rider within the 8.0-8.5 range. I do alot of slabbing as well. Great mileage for the type of riding before I got rid of them, around 6500. Still had about 25% tread life but they had been on the bike for a few years sitting so I decided to get ride of them. I repalced them with the newer BT021 and loved these as well. Baker City ride went very well with very predictable results. New tires at the time and I really put the to the test there. After a trip to Leguna Seca and back with no issues at all with around 2500 on them, I hit a nail. Purchased a new set of BT020s and another set of the BT021s. I am now also looking for a more aggressive performing tire for track and street. The Diablo Rosso was recommended. What do you think?

P.S. Wondering why there is not an option for the BT021s?

Guest cobra919

I replaced a worn out Pirelli Diablo with a BT020 last spring. While I'm quite happy with how it sticks, I find it to be very noisy in any degree of turn. That said, I want to replace it since I picked up a screw during one of my rides late last summer. I'm leaning toward either the Metzeler or Michelin. That Rennsport looks interesting tho.

Guest dendron

Wow, this thread has been going on for over 3 1/2 years? Phenomenal! This started before B-stone even introduced (2008) the multi-compound BT-016's which I'm currently running. And, I must say, after a little over 1000 miles I'm liking everything about them so far. Way more dry grip than most people can even use on the street, sure-footed in the rain, and rides like a touring tire. The ultimate question being, "How long will they last?" We'll see, I'll report back when the end is near.

I'm sure some of you have probably gone through a set or more of these by now and have a handle on this. The 016's would make a very good track tire, IMHO, for you casual track day types. I'd volunteer to test, but track days are a little outside my budget at the moment. sad.gif But, the tires themselves? :fing02: :fing02:

Now, how 'bout an oil thread...anyone?...KIDDING!

Edited by dendron

Well after reading all these reply's I decided to go for the Pilot Powers on both front and back. Seems like the Pilot Roads are longer lasting more durable but I'd rather take the increased performance and shorter life span from the Powers. They say the Dry grip is better from the Powers. I just ordered them so I can not yet vote if they are good or not but it seems that cant be bad as i have read a billion reply's that people love them. Also to note...from another site someone in a review about the powers said the front is triangular in shape which helps the bike fall into turns. Thats Plus for me since I love to scrape on corners.

The shitz combo is the PP front and the PR2 rear! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Well after reading all these reply's I decided to go for the Pilot Powers on both front and back. Seems like the Pilot Roads are longer lasting more durable but I'd rather take the increased performance and shorter life span from the Powers. They say the Dry grip is better from the Powers. I just ordered them so I can not yet vote if they are good or not but it seems that cant be bad as i have read a billion reply's that people love them. Also to note...from another site someone in a review about the powers said the front is triangular in shape which helps the bike fall into turns. Thats Plus for me since I love to scrape on corners.

The shitz combo is the PP front and the PR2 rear! :fing02:

BR, how many sets of these have you run? I know your first set was during Tmac last year. I'm running the same setup and likely to stick with it, but damn I miss the profile of a PP on the rear.

The shitz combo is the PP front and the PR2 rear! :cool:

BR, how many sets of these have you run? I know your first set was during Tmac last year. I'm running the same setup and likely to stick with it, but damn I miss the profile of a PP on the rear.

I think I'm on the 3rd set now and yes you can feel the slower response of the PR2 rear vs PP's F & R, but it's a decent compromise that is more than antiquate for street rippen IMO. Plus I get at least 50% longer life from the PR2 rear w/o any loss in grip. :fing02:

Hell with the tight times I may have to raise the rear 20mm and drop the front 10mm more and run PR2's front & rear! :fing02:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I love my Z6's. I'm on my 3rd set and have gotten no less than 6000 miles per.

• Member Contributer

I just hit 9,000 miles on a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's on my 6th gen VFR. From evidence shared by others, I am light on the throttle and long on the slab. Wonder how long the set of PR2's will last me, and no I'm not running a PP front / PR2 mix. The Strada's have held up really well, so much better than the D220 Front / D204 Rear mix I had on before (ruined the stock D204 front with less than 100 miles on the bike, don't ask), I just wanted to try something new.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Wow, who dug this thread up again. Isn't it from 05?

Best tire....

no else

PIRELLI DIABLO CORSA III.

I'm not so sure great grip but after only 2500 miles I'm down to wear bars on rear!!! front still have 50% left i just had corsa III installed in DEC and looking for a new tire already. thinking of going back to conti rd attack got 4000 miles out of them almost as grippy. what kinda mileage are you guys getting on a rear pr2 ?

Wow, who dug this thread up again. Isn't it from 05?

Best tire....

no else

PIRELLI DIABLO CORSA III.

I'm not so sure great grip but after only 2500 miles I'm down to wear bars on rear!!! front still have 50% left i just had corsa III installed in DEC and looking for a new tire already. thinking of going back to conti rd attack got 4000 miles out of them almost as grippy. what kinda mileage are you guys getting on a rear pr2 ?

pr2 on the back just died...3700 miles which is AMAZING!! PP was getting 2200 and like everyone said, it sticks VERY well.

i have been running diablo front w/ pr2 rear and pp front with pr2....both work quite well for street finding.

• Member Contributer

ONLY ONE MENTION OF THE BT 021! I'm shocked.

I loved me Z6s. Two or three years ago it seemed I was one of very few on VFRD that ran them. Now I've been turned on to the BT 021 :491: but only the rear! WARNING-BT021 Front is total crap +1.gif

Get a PP2 for the front instead, but keep the BT 021 rear. this is very similar to what BR is running only slightly cheaper and somewhat fashion faux pas to have a different manufacturer on each end. They are both dual compound tires and the set up is great.

Z6s are a great tire for the money but if you can afford just a little more I highly recommend this setup for anyone that has to do some slab with their twisties.

Or the BR set up with the PP2 front and PR2 on the rear. I was just able to get a good deal on the BT021 rear and I was already in love with it.

The point is dual compound is the way to go. Someone said that Z6s are dual compound... I'm not too sure about that. at least they weren't two years ago.

• 3 months later...
Or the BR set up with the PP2 front and PR2 on the rear. I was just able to get a good deal on the BT021 rear and I was already in love with it.

Just to make a small correction here, I run the standard Pilot Power front w/the Road 2 rear, not the PP 2ct. :goofy:

Plan to try some other tires like the RoadSmart and 021 sometime soon. :goofy:

• 1 year later...
Guest PicVFR

Know this is an old thread but thought I'd add my two cents as some people are talking about Road Smarts.

Took delivery of my '08 at the end of Sept last year (it had never been owned and sat on its' OE tires for two years). The tires were like rocks and would slide (both ends) at the slightest pushing. Wanted new buns but wasn't going to spend for the sake of it. Got back to work one day in early June to a flat rear tire (nail). Made the repair and ordered some Road Smarts as I have several long trips planned this summer so didn't want to just square off some Q2's (yes, I'm a Dunlop guy).

Installed the Road Smarts when they came in and was very impressed. Chicken strips were gone within two weeks and wet grip is fantastic. I only hope that they wear as advertised but feel is very good. Predictable and, like other Dunlops, they let you know when being pushed. For the road, they seem great so far. For the track, I'll stick with 208's.

Hope this helps someone.

• 2 months later...

Have asked some questions about tyre (tire) choice on a new thread, as I really hate the BT 020 I have on the front..

Am sticking with Bridgestone for now (a new BT 011 to go with the BT 021 on the back) but really favour Avons on all my previous bikes.

Have ridden on Viper Sports on track, have Roadriders (brilliant) on my XJ650 and have a MKII Roadrunner on my Bonnie which was fitted in 1988 and (though a little square) still has plenty of grip and shows no cracking or perishing!

Have considered the Conti Road Attack but I think it'll be Avons for me next, unless persuaded otherwise.

Nige

• Member Contributer

^What he said. Best/fastest/twistiest riding I ever did on 2001 VFR was on Road 2s - DH #1 and more. *And best mileage, too. I now use them on CBR.

(Disclaimer: I am not now nor ever have been an extraordinary rider. I have chicken strips and always wear out the middle before the sides, but got down to 1/8" chicken strips on R2s.)

• 2 weeks later...

I put down Metzeler Z6's but I'm currently running a combo of M5 fronts, and M3 Rear. They are pretty sticky and they aren't going to last more the 3-4K. The grip is great. I've worn the tread right to the edge of the tires. Very confident in grip all the way leaned over. Zero chicken strips.

Just my .2

Jim

• Member Contributer

I've got Pilot Powers. Two seven hundred mile trips of Superslab riding has created an unfortunate flat spot on the rear, but the front is okay. I will try the Road2 on the back. I don't do much riding in the rain so I don't think I need the Pilot Power Road 3s.

Also, I know some of you use a Pilot Power up front and a Pilot Road on the back. I spoke to a Michelin Rep who didn't see the need to have the Power up front; he thought I ought to get the road 2 set. Maybe he was just trying to sell me something.

In The wet is much stronger on the power too, but I really dont care for the rear ppower for a street tire, the road 2 rear is more supportive of the weight IMO. Especially once the tire is past half life, quality of feel degrades too much. I was really dissapointed with Power rear on the back, espcially, being a 2000 mile tire in addition.

The Power front and road two rear is my longevity package to keep costs down, My favorite is the power front with BT21 rear, Its such a Quick turn in package , I have a blast every time I run it. IMO, the BT21 rear, is a better option than Ppower rear for the street.

• Member Contributer

In The wet is much stronger on the power too, but I really dont care for the rear ppower for a street tire, the road 2 rear is more supportive of the weight IMO. Especially once the tire is past half life, quality of feel degrades too much. I was really dissapointed with Power rear on the back, espcially, being a 2000 mile tire in addition.

The Power front and road two rear is my longevity package to keep costs down, My favorite is the power front with BT21 rear, Its such a Quick turn in package , I have a blast every time I run it. IMO, the BT21 rear, is a better option than Ppower rear for the street.

I've run a Pilot Road 2 on the rear, and did a cost vs. mile comparison. The difference was about $5. I also found that the Power didn't flat spot as bad as the Road 2 due to it being more elliptical to begin with i.e. by the time it's worn out the profile is similar to a Road 2.

Haven't noticed any "softness" in the carcass. When it does step out it comes back without drama.

• Member Contributer

Seriously?

A PR2 rear is almost twice the price of a PP rear, and doesn't last anywhere near 2X IME. I run 'em at 40 psi on the street 30 on the track. They don't "flat spot" they just end up more round than elliptical. I run 'em on 2 5th gens with similar results despite different riders.

Guess we are using more throttle, and lean angle than you? :smile:

Seriously?

A PR2 rear is almost twice the price of a PP rear, and doesn't last anywhere near 2X IME. I run 'em at 40 psi on the street 30 on the track. They don't "flat spot" they just end up more round than elliptical. I run 'em on 2 5th gens with similar results despite different riders.

Guess we are using more throttle, and lean angle than you? :smile:

30psi on vfr there ya go thats why unusual, I just bought a proad 2 rear $139, Ppower rear was $120, thats $19 difference. Not double, whats the best deal you can find.

Seriously?

A PR2 rear is almost twice the price of a PP rear, and doesn't last anywhere near 2X IME.

I don't get this info whatsoever! I paid $125 for my last rear PR2(2 weeks ago) where I think I could have got a PP rear for $115 (180's), that's Only a $10 difference by my calculator! :rolleyes:

Wear wise I avg. 2200 miles on a PP rear and no less than 3500 from a PR2 rear under the same roads and conditions. That's a Min. of a 60% increase in life for $10 and with no Grip or confidence level drop. :tour:

After burning thur over 35 sets of tires on this VFR alone it's a No Brain-er for me to run the PR2 rear w/PP front. :smile:

BR