Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

• Member Contributer

I just put Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires on and they are great. Too bad they aren't a choice on the tire survey...

• Like 1

I don't see them mentioned but I'm really impressed with the Metzeler M5 on the VFR outstanding grip, great wet weather performance & I get better wear & grip from them than Pilot Powers & here in Australia there cheaper than Michelin. They have a sports bike profile so turn in & response is the big plus for me & they tend to warm up just as fast as the Michelin's. My standard set up before was Pilot powers front & back & if I felt I wanted better mleage for long trips Road2 on the rear, hate Road2 front very unresponsive tyre.

• 1 month later...

I just put Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires on and they are great. Too bad they aren't a choice on the tire survey...

Another vote for the PR3 - I put mine on late last year, and they made the VFR even more fun to ride. Caveat emptor - my only comparison tire is the Dunlop Sportmax rubber rim protectors that came on the bike; no doubt MANY tires are better than that ancient model.

-VFRGeek

Edited by VFRGeek

• Member Contributer

Had the PR3 for 1 season still goin strong. they're more than ok for me. Good mileage, very secure for me on wet tarmac and the threads look sweet ;)

Same here. Think I'll get more mileage than I did with the Pilot Roads they replaced.

• Member Contributer

I'll let you know, I picked up a crashed vfr 94 that had Pilot Road 3's on it but the front was destroyed as was about everything else except rear wheel and engine., so I put both on my 4th gen and ordered a PR3 front ($143). Till now I've run PP's front and rear,but the rears normally toast @ 15-1800 mi and the front toast @ 2500-3000, but they stick great. I ride nothing but twisty back roads and tickle my toes on the majority of turns. Would love to get 3000+ out of the PR3's

I'll let you know, I picked up a crashed vfr 94 that had Pilot Road 3's on it but the front was destroyed as was about everything else except rear wheel and engine., so I put both on my 4th gen and ordered a PR3 front ($143). Till now I've run PP's front and rear,but the rears normally toast @ 15-1800 mi and the front toast @ 2500-3000, but they stick great. I ride nothing but twisty back roads and tickle my toes on the majority of turns. Would love to get 3000+ out of the PR3's

With that type of riding I would suggest a PR2 rear w/PP front, they will wear out as a set. You'll find the steering much slower with any PR2 or 3 f/r vs PP's, that is why I still run the PP front w/PR2 rear.

My buddy who rides a lot like me says he likes the PR2 rear better than the PR3 when pushed hard in the Dry, but the 3 is better in wet.

I avg 2-2200 miles from a set of PP's and avg 3-3.5k miles from the PP/PR2 combo with no noticable grip difference.

BR

Guest TheWarrior17

My VFR came with BT023s and I haven't had any problems with them. They grip pretty well and have been holding up pretty well. But then again, the best you know is what you've rode.

The other VFR at our house has PR2s I think, or they might be PPs but I can't remember. Regardless I haven't rode the other VFR enough to judge them (since it ain't mine and I like my own just fine).

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I recently spooned on the Dunlop Roadsmart II set and plan to test them this weekend on a full day mountain ride. I promise to report back. I never liked the Michelins PRs, but in all fairness, there weren't "round" anymore. At $272 to my door, I couldn't go wrong.

I recently spooned on the Dunlop Roadsmart II set and plan to test them this weekend on a full day mountain ride. I promise to report back. I never liked the Michelins PRs, but in all fairness, there weren't "round" anymore. At $272 to my door, I couldn't go wrong.

Let us know how the Smart II's work for you.

BTW I hate PR's also or are you talking about PR2's?

• Member Contributer

Will do. I'm pretty sure they were PRs, build date in 2008. They provided what could only be described as absolutly no feedback on what the front end was doing. I am hoping for rthe normal fabulous feedback that Dunlops usually give. I loved the D205 and D220s. They never moved a mm, rain or dry.

Will do. I'm pretty sure they were PRs, build date in 2008. They provided what could only be described as absolutly no feedback on what the front end was doing. I am hoping for rthe normal fabulous feedback that Dunlops usually give. I loved the D205 and D220s. They never moved a mm, rain or dry.

Yeah, the original Pilot Road was Crap IMO if you push your bike if the slightest!!! The most veg tire I ever ran. I never likes any Dunlop until the Q2 and they just don't last at all. You should slap on a set of PP's one day to see how good your bike and tires can feel.

BR

I'm a diehard Dunlop fan but am open to trying others. The PR2s on the VFR now work fine, but others can be had cheaper, and will probably work and wear about the same.

I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences and opinions on tires, suspension, etc!

There's definitely tires that work better, the real difference is the Performance Level , for the increased amount of life it offers. Usually 20 to 40% more life over any other.

Traction is usually directly related to wear life, some how the road 2 defies this to some degree. I can understand on a lighter weight bike the Proad2 may not have the same grip level.

Lets take a BT 21 rear which is half the life of a road 2 rear. If Im running 60 or 70 mph and drop 2 gear and cross double yellow under throttle the road 2 will break loose and spin, the Bt21 rear will not. But I run the road 2, cause of the significant money savings with increased life and normally the traction level is very sound in most conditions,. The Road 2 actually costs more money than the road 2, but factor in double life and the road 2 is factually cheaper to run.

• Member Contributer

I decided to go with the Pilot Road 2's F and R over the Angel ST ( which I still want to try ). My needs for a great tire are mileage and rain performance on a fully loaded VFR. Corners, draggin the knee do not really happen on the roads in Northern Alberta or even when I go to British Columbia, so not to concerned with that aspect. My BT021 made about 12,000km's, my 023 hit 14,000 ( way better in the rain than the 021 ). So, I will see how these work for me. New chain/sprockets ( JT-DIDVM530 ) and tires at 40,000km. The roads are almost clear enough to pull the bike out and ride. fingers crossed for this weekend.

My update, since I posted I've gotten both Metzeler M-5's Front and rear. Nice improvement in grip. The M3 front really gave me confidence in the twisties of Nor-cal, Mt Hamilton and Mines roads wet and dry. Now with the M5 Combo I've been able to go all the way over with a passenger and still have really great grip. Zero chicken strips. Wifey just hangs on for dear life!

They do wear out in about 3-4k. I tend to ride fast on abrasive roads.

Just my .2

Jim

• Member Contributer

Well, after removing the PR2s last week and mounting the Roadsmart IIs, I finally got out for a couple hundred miles of mountains on Sunday. It was a mix of fast sweepers and 1st gear corners, and everything in between. I even commuted back and forth on the slab for a full and balanced test. I tried hard braking. I tried braking at significant lean. I tried a lot fo throttle at full lean.

There is no comparison. Grip is better. Feedback is MUCH better. Turn in is much improved. I can't get over the difference, and moreso can't believe that the PR2s are the most loved tires. After reading so much positive feedback, I figured that my VFR behaved as well as it could. You Michelin lovers can keep 'em! Before the swap, my VFR was ready to go on the block. After...I'm keeping it for sure! Honestly, it was a lot like riding my 748...but slightly more comfortable; certainly more red.

• Member Contributer

I've had a couple of sets of roadsmarts on my 100,000 mile 5th gen. , Although they occasionally slipped I thought it was due to cold tires. I thought they were the bees knees, lasting around 12,000 miles; that's why I loved them. I've since acquired two additional 5th gens (I know it's excessive). They both came with PR2 s. And they are MUCH better feeling that the Roadsmarts. They have never slipped. I will see how long they last but if they are at all close to 12,000 they are clearly superior imho.

So when the 100,000 mi. machine needed a new rear, it was a PR2. It has been a great improvement. (I had to replace the front tire last year on a road trip and the only available tire that fit was a Pirelli Diablo. (Good grip, good feel, no slipping). The combination has been great.

On the 100,000 bike I've had:

- two sets Metzler M1 - (12,000 mi) seemed good, but I was a rookie

- one set of Metzler M3 - (6,000 mi) fabulous on the dragon, extremely grippy wet and dry

- two sets of Roadsmarts (12,000+ mi) I thought were fine until the PR2 (the most recent front wore out early - hence the Diablo)

- currently Diablo front PR2 rear

(I have owned the two most recent 5th gens for only a few thousand mi - no replacements yet)

Edited by MaxSwell

Well, after removing the PR2s last week

You said you thought they were the original Pilot Roads, So you you did have PR's or PR2's on your bike?

HUGE difference between PR's and PR2's!!!

BR

• Member Contributer

My notes say:

"Pilot Road 2. Date codes, F1508, R0108."

I just put a Michellin P3 on the front and I have to say i've never experienced quite an astounding change before. I felt it within the first 20 feet, and it feels like its just agressively grabbing the road. what an amazing tire, I just wonder what the back P3 experience will be like.

fully amazing, highly recommend P3.

• Member Contributer

I went out on one of my 5th gens yesterday which has PR2 s front and back. They have been great in the several hundred miles I've owned the bike. However, yesterday, applying power a little early, out of a turn, maybe a little agressively, the front tire started sliding (understeer). Suprised me and took away a little confidence in the tire. On another of my 5th gens I have a PR2 rear and a Perlli Diablo in front. That Perelli has NEVER let loose in similar situations. Reinforces for me the recomendation someone put out (BR, HS?) about the PR front. So the questions becomes: what's the difference in life of the PR and the Diable. The Diablo has been great, has over 5,000 mi. and looks like it is only half worn out.

So I'm giving a happy shout out to Perelli Diablo s at least in front.