STrider

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • In My Garage::06 ST1300
    08 VFR800

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wanted to upgrade my seat, but didn't want to go the Sergeant route (I've got on one my ST1300 and like it, but I was looking for something different, possibly better). I found both with Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats. Contacted Seth Laam:http://www.laamseats.com/ discussed what I was looking for, came to a meeting of the minds and I sent the seat off to Redding last Tues. Mr. FedEX just delivered it back to me this morning and I'm blown away. It looks amazing, is incredibly comfortable and best of all I can now flatfoot when stopped. Seth is extremely customer focused and called me 3 times during the course of the process (once in order to confirm the order form, one just prior to the build in order to check for any last minute changes I might have had and just prior to shipment). Great guy, very personable and totally passionate about his product. A true craftsman.VFR Laam1.jpg VFR Laam2.jpg       

#2 marriedman

marriedman

The Dude abides.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • In My Garage::1999 VFR - Sold!
    2007 VFR (Daytripper)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Wow, very nice looking! Now take a long ride and give a full report.

Sent from my phone.

It's not what it costs, it's what it adds that I care about.

gallery_25220_6617_8709.jpg

#3 zeebandit

zeebandit

Sport Tourer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • In My Garage::2004 VFR 800 VTECH
    2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

That seat looks fantastic. Did you have the whole seat done or just the front part?

#4 VFRMike

VFRMike

Factory Team Rider

• Forum Contributor
  • 268 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 Honda VFR
    2001 Ford F-150 4x4 SC Lariat
    1968 Pontiac Firebird (stock)

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I've not heard of Laam before.  Hopefully this seat works out for you- it looks good.

#5 STrider

STrider

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
    08 VFR800

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'd never heard of them before either. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Sergeant and happened upon a guy on the ST Owners (STOC.com) website raving about his new seat and the company/guy that did it. It peaked my interest so I started doing some research and I'm certainly glad I did.
I went with the Solo, as I never have a pillion onboard. There were 3 choices on the vinyl for the top surface (smooth, basket weave, and carbon fibre-look), I selected the carbon fibre. Smooth is used on the sides and you can also have colored side stiching if desired. I was amazed that the price is less than the cost of a Sergeant, but what I especially like is the fact that the seat is custom made specifically for you. The other good thing is not having another seat kicking around gathering dust (like my OE ST1300 seat that was replaced by the Sergeant).
Intend to go out in the AM to put some miles on it and will provide feedback.

#6 crakerjac

crakerjac

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • In My Garage::2010 VFR1200
    2003 Honda Magna

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

I've been looking at doing something about my seat... I'm looking forward to the ride report!

states2_zps7ac3e201.jpg

[This space for rent]

#7 VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee

We must go faster!

• Volunteer
  • 7336 posts
  • In My Garage::'98 VFR800, still loving it.
    '03 Aprilia Tuono, 4 Sale.
    '07 Aprilia Tuono, Bike Me!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for that.

I'm wondering how do they customize a seat to fit my bony old behind?

For a custom suit you get measurements like a tailor, for a custom boot you draw an outline of your foot and take measurements.

Butts come in many shapes and sizes.  So... :unsure:  :laugh: 

If you're born in the world, you get a ticket to the freak show.
If you're born in America, you get a front row seat.

George Carlin

#8 coderighter

coderighter

Moto Grand Prix Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 657 posts
  • In My Garage::'06 VFR800 ABS
    '08 BMW 528i
    '97 BMW 328i
    '07 Chev 2500HD
    Duramax

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

How $$

#9 STrider

STrider

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
    08 VFR800

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Every Sergeant rolls off the assembly line exactly the same, no variations and no input from the customer. When you fill out the order form for a Laam you provide pertinent information such as: inseam, weight, etc. and other information that Seth uses to customize the seat to fit you and meet your specific requirements. I've got some lower back issues, so I wanted an increase in comfort, plus I suffer from Ducks Disease (short legs and ass too close to the ground). I wanted to be able to flat-foot, or get as close to that point as possible without losing any seat comfort. Rather than lower the seat height, Seth reduced the width on the sides at the front of the seat (making it narrower), which allows me to flat-foot. Between the order form and 3 phone calls we were able to communicate and sync up pretty well. Seth also provides a ride-in service for those that have a different shape, size, or difficult to fit boney old behind. I plan to do a ride-in for my ST, as I think it's going to be a lot more difficult to get me where I would like to be. And no, I don't work for Laam, nor am I being compensated. I'm just a very satisfied customer and thought I'd share my good fortune in finding this great company with others. Prices are on his website.

#10 STrider

STrider

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
    08 VFR800

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Prior to start up: seat goes on/off bike with no problems and rear cowl fits perfectly. I normally use an Axxio tail bag in place of the cowl and this also fit perfectly. Ride report: First impressions where that I seemed to sit slightly higher on the bike, because my feet/leg angle in relation to the brake/gear lever felt different. I'm sure this is due to brand new foam that will eventually form to my shape. Rolled down the driveway, out into the street and did a quick stop/full-on braking to see if I'd get any slide forward; none. Headed out and rode my normal 35 mile, cerebral enema route that I take most weekends. After a few miles the new feet/leg angle oddness diminished.
Seat is very comfortable and doesn't feel as slippery as the OE seat (probably due to the carbon fibre pattern on top vs. the smooth OE). Because my arms are short, I tend to sit in a more forward position (both with the Laam seat and the OE), in order grip/push back with my knees, which keeps the weight off my wrists. This is my normal manuevering around town/aggressive riding position and the seat felt great, allowing a very positive grip on the tank pads. When I do sit back into the comfort sweet spot, it puts me into a more forward leaning rest, until I can engage the throttle meister, straighten up and maintain steering control with the first/second joints of my fingers/thumb. I know that a set of Heli's will make a huge difference for long-range cruising and when eventually installed 400 mile days will be very do-able.
Granted 35 miles is techniclly a short ride, but I left at 0630 and before I got back it was already over 100-deg down here in Hell, AZ so it was time to call it quits.
Bottom line: comfortable, good looking, fits great, $50. cheaper than a Sergeant, unique (for now, but I'm sure it'll soon be very popular), I'm happy.

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed