KizerSosay

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • In My Garage::99 VFR800 Sock w/K&N
    06 Suzuki GS500F

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

My 99 has a small leak at the bottom of the clutch slave. It's about a drop every ride (I reach down and wipe it off with my finger). Anyway, do I need to bleed the fluid before I pull off the slave (or is it sealed like brakes are)? Is there a gasket between the slave and the motor case (mabye I just need to tighten it up to stop the leak).

I'd like to pull it off and inspect it before I order a rebuild kit. The bike only has 9k on it and the fluid looked pretty dark. It could have been the origional fluid for all I know. So, I changed it but it still leaks. I know water in there could have caused some damage. I might get lucky and just need to give it a good cleaning....might have some gunk stuck under the seals.

Thanks

#2 NakedViffer

NakedViffer

Street fightin' with class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • In My Garage::1995 VFR750F

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

If its leaking fluid I'd say it needs a rebuild, there is a gasket between the slave and sprocket cover, but it doesn't hold any fluid or anything. You can unbolt the three bolts holding it on and it will still be sealed until you crack the bleeder or remove the hose. Rebuild kit is about $20, very simple procedure.

EDIT:

I'd also like to add one thing, if you're gonna rebuild the slave, its usually a good idea to go ahead and do the master too. They use the same material for seals, so if they are both stock, when one is ready for a rebuild, generally the other is too.

Edited by NakedViffer, 19 March 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#3 YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 5325 posts
  • In My Garage::Mini Honda Dealership, and some.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

+1 to what he said.

#4 Auspanglish

Auspanglish

VTEC ala RC30

• Volunteer
  • 2936 posts
  • In My Garage::Honda VFR800FI 1998 Silver: Sold
    Honda VFR800 VTEC 2003,
    RC30 paintjob: Current ride.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

+2

#5 dr.toto

dr.toto

Dr.toto

• Forum Contributor
  • 983 posts
  • In My Garage::99 VFR800, 05 cbr1000rr, 02 Dr650, 08 cbr600rr

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

I use a syringe to remove all the fluid from the master before removing the slave or a caliper. There's less mess to deal with. Just in case you are unaware: brake fluid will remove paint.

#6 Higgin

Higgin

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • In My Garage::1998 VFR - Red
    2006 VFR - Black *SOLD*

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

I am going to be rebuilding both of mine here i nthe next few weeks.....where do you get the rebuild kits? From honda or is there a good aftermarket brand?  Thanks

If its leaking fluid I'd say it needs a rebuild, there is a gasket between the slave and sprocket cover, but it doesn't hold any fluid or anything. You can unbolt the three bolts holding it on and it will still be sealed until you crack the bleeder or remove the hose. Rebuild kit is about $20, very simple procedure.

EDIT:

I'd also like to add one thing, if you're gonna rebuild the slave, its usually a good idea to go ahead and do the master too. They use the same material for seals, so if they are both stock, when one is ready for a rebuild, generally the other is too.

#7 NakedViffer

NakedViffer

Street fightin' with class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • In My Garage::1995 VFR750F

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

To be completely honest, I usually buy whats cheapest. I've used everything, including OEM, and I've never seen a real difference.

#8 JeffInFranklinTN

JeffInFranklinTN

World Superbike Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 342 posts
  • In My Garage::1983 V65 Magna
    1986 V65 Magna
    1986 VF500F Interceptor
    2000 VFR800 Interceptor

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

www.v4market.com

Brain Backman is the owner. Tell him Jeff in Franklin TN. sent you. I believe his is located in Conneticut. He sells K&L brand rebuild kits which are made in Japan.

My local Honda's website says the 98 and 99 models use the same clutch master cylinder kits. 2000 models were different. Looks like he has what you need in stock. Including the clutch slave kit.  If not, he can get them. I have purchased 20+ kits from Brian and have had not one problem with the kits.

PM me if you want his phone # if you'd rather call. Doesn't always answer but he will call back.

You can get these much cheaper from v4market than you can from Honda.

Edited by VFR4Jeffrey, 19 March 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#9 KizerSosay

KizerSosay

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • In My Garage::99 VFR800 Sock w/K&N
    06 Suzuki GS500F

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

EDIT:

Yea, I think I'm going to just do a rebuild. The master cylinder looked pretty clean when I did the fluid change. It operates smooth and firm all the way through the lever pull. Does it really need to be rebuilt? Does anyone have pics/video a rebuild?

#10 JeffInFranklinTN

JeffInFranklinTN

World Superbike Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 342 posts
  • In My Garage::1983 V65 Magna
    1986 V65 Magna
    1986 VF500F Interceptor
    2000 VFR800 Interceptor

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Since the slave cylinder is leaking then yes it's better be safe than sorry. It's very likely the rubber seals in the master cylinder are the same age as the seals in the leaking slave cylinder. Keeping clean fluid in the hydraulic systems will definitely give the MC's etc a longer life.

If you have any mechanical ability at all....rebuilding the hydraulics on motorcycles is a walk in the park but it does take some time.

Edited by VFR4Jeffrey, 19 March 2013 - 09:14 PM.

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed