Learned quickly that you should NOT bother replacing side panels until you can start the bike! (Ok, so I didn't really "learn" the lesson, I just ran out of money... lol)
Anyway, started fiddling with things and learning my way around this bike and here's where we are
1. Im definitely in over my head.
2. This is NOT a problem - its how I learn.
3. Spent alot of time with miracle oil, pb blaster and what-not
4. The engine can now be turned over (by hand) but there is ALOT of pressure when piston 1 reaches TDC. Its WAY more than when any of the other pistons goes through compression even with all the plugs out
5. Took the top end off to assess the damage from a battalion of mice that were living in the airbox.
I am suspecting the valves are not working quite right on that cylinder - they suffered the most from the mice and show alot of surface corrosion - but I CAN manually turn past that point so... wondering if anyone has a magic mirror and can ask it what the likely meaning of this little problem is?
6. Much to my surprise, I seem to have got the cams put back on right. Shop manual really DOES help!
Edited by mark68502, 03 April 2012 - 09:04 AM.