#1 a300fo

a300fo

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • In My Garage::1985 VF1000R

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

I asked this question a while ago, but my old login didn't work and couldn't find the replies.

Anyway, I am considering the F2 wheel conversion for my VF1000R. But, has anyone had any luck with wheel widening such as Kosman Specialities? It's not cheap but would keep the original look of the bike.

Also, I am having trouble finding good F2 front wheels. The rears are a little easier to find. This is my dilema. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 smackdoogle

smackdoogle

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • In My Garage::93 VFR750
    11 Ninja 1000

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

I asked this question a while ago, but my old login didn't work and couldn't find the replies.

Anyway, I am considering the F2 wheel conversion for my VF1000R. But, has anyone had any luck with wheel widening such as Kosman Specialities? It's not cheap but would keep the original look of the bike.

Also, I am having trouble finding good F2 front wheels. The rears are a little easier to find. This is my dilema. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can't help with your question because I've never widened a wheel but wouldn't that make an already really heavy wheel heavier? I'd say just hold out for a good F2 front and go that route unless you really love the stock look. Have you checked out the CBR forums and ebay?

#3 a300fo

a300fo

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • In My Garage::1985 VF1000R

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks

I can't help with your question because I've never widened a wheel but wouldn't that make an already really heavy wheel heavier? I'd say just hold out for a good F2 front and go that route unless you really love the stock look. Have you checked out the CBR forums and ebay?

Forgot about the weight. I have checked ebay and will continue to check back. I will also check other forums.

Thanks.

#4 Kel

Kel

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 1422 posts
  • In My Garage::'85 VF1000R x3
    '86 VF1000R
    '84 VF1000F x2
    '80 CB400T

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

IMO, the rear isn't the problem as much as the front. In the 20 years of riding mine with stock wheels, the front was the only real short coming that I noticed on the street. The front is hard to get rubber for that's any good and it was a little twitchy. The front really needs to be a 17". You can widen the rear but you can do better with lighter wheels and get rid of the 16" altogether.

If I remember correctly. Kosman was not interested in widening the bolt together Comstars. Can't say as I blame them.

Edited by Kel, 19 May 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#5 NZV4

NZV4

Local Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • In My Garage::VFR400, VF1000R

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

Modern wheels, even much wider ones, can be very light compared to Comstars. On top of the better rubber choice and handling, wheels act like a big flywheel so lighter wheels take less energy to get rolling and less effort to stop. Magnesium is the way to go if you can.

#6 VF1000RS

VF1000RS

Moto Grand Prix Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 968 posts
  • In My Garage::1986 VF1000R
    1984 VF1000F
    1983 CB1100F
    1984 VF1100S

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just saw this.

I've contacted Kosman a couple years ago regarding this exact thing. There was a period where the machine used on comstar wheels was broken, but it's fixed and working now.

They can and will widen the stock VF1000R wheels. They can and will increase the stock 16" wheel to a 17" at the same time.

Yes, they will be heavier than newer wheels.

Yes, it's pricey.

Will it be unique? Definitely...unless you and I both do it.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."

SIGpic2
SIGpic2

#7 Veefer800Canuck

Veefer800Canuck

FrankenOwner

• Forum Moderator
  • 12541 posts
  • In My Garage::2010 Honda GL800RR-SP2
    Back in business baby!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

I'd just go the route of least resistance and use the 17" CBR wheels.

Cheaper too. Powdercoat them any colour you like.

visitedstatesmap_zps9f9adb24.jpggallery_554_345_407.jpg gallery_491_6304_9032.png gallery_554_345_655.gif gallery_491_3_2414.png

We strongly recommend that you use only genuine Honda accessories that have been specifically designed and tested for your motorcycle. We strongly advise you not to remove any original equipment or modify your motorcycle in any way that would change its design or operation. Such changes could seriously impair your motorcycles handling, stability and braking, making it unsafe to ride.

#8 VF1000RS

VF1000RS

Moto Grand Prix Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 968 posts
    1984 VF1000F
    1983 CB1100F
    1984 VF1100S

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

The CBR wheels are a good way to go. They are reasonably cheap and you can use modern rubber. They look good.
I'll probably do it again at some point.

My only issue is "been there, done to death".

I'm interested in trying something different.

SIGpic2
SIGpic2

#9 VF1000RS

VF1000RS

Moto Grand Prix Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 968 posts
    1984 VF1000F
    1983 CB1100F
    1984 VF1100S

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

By the way the weight of the stock wheels is not that far out there. Here's a thread I started comparing weights.

http://www.vfrdiscus...r-wheel-weight/

SIGpic2
SIGpic2

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed