Photo

TechSpec tank protection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 BonemanVFR

BonemanVFR

Privateer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

Received my order of TechSpec High Fusion material on Friday so I got busy designing and applying my own set of tank protectors. I got the guys over at TechSpec (http://www.techspec-usa.com/) to send me 3 sheets of their High Fusion material as I wanted some extra material to make additional protection pads for around the ignition so the keys don't scratch the top clamp and possibly some on the heel guards.

The High Fusion material is much thinner and easier to work with/cut than their Snake Skin material I used on my FZ6.

For the side tank protectors, I started by using one of the enclosed template designs they include with your order and modified it slightly.

Posted Image

You then clean the mounting area with rubbing alcohol and warm it up with a heat gun or hair dryer just before you mount it. Start with one corner and position the material where you want it. Then I used a roller to roll on the material; working from one end to the other to work out any air bubbles. This stuff goes one very easy and you can easily un-peel it and start again if you mess up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then set out to make a nice 'zipper protector' tank pad. TechSpec includes a smallish pre-cut tank protector, but I wanted one slightly larger and different design. I taped on a piece of paper and roughly drew out the shape I wanted and then re-drew the shape and cut it out to check the size and fit.

Posted Image

Liking the size and shape I went back and cut out the pattern in High Fusion material. I applied it the same way I did the side pads with cleaning, heat and using a roller.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like the end results very much and think it looks better and offers more tank protection than the pre-cut VFR design offered by TechSpec:

Posted Image

Edited by BonemanVFR, 08 November 2010 - 11:58 AM.

#2 Knife

Knife

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 2299 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

Nice work! Looks good!

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed