10 replies to this topic

#1 sruss67

sruss67

Factory Team Rider

• Forum Contributor
  • 151 posts
  • In My Garage::1994 VFR750FR (Sold)

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:42 AM

After a fair amount of testing, cursing and learning, it appears I have a faulty stator in my 94 750.

Followed the testing at Electrex World and got very, very low readings when doing the Generator Leakage Current test eg 2-6.

Noticed the R/R has been replaced by part SH701-12 which is a replacement for the 4th gens and is finned.

Could the original R/R that went bad have damaged the stator which now needs replacing?

Is there something else that would damage the stator.

Everything else tests okay.

Cheers
The definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"
I never want to be the person who "coulda, shoulda, woulda, but never did"

#2 Veefer800Canuck

Veefer800Canuck

FrankenOwner

• Forum Moderator
  • 12600 posts
  • In My Garage::2010 Honda GL800RR-SP2
    Back in business baby!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:54 AM

Time and heat make your stator no-worky.

visitedstatesmap_zps9f9adb24.jpggallery_554_345_407.jpg gallery_491_6304_9032.png gallery_554_345_655.gif gallery_491_3_2414.png

We strongly recommend that you use only genuine Honda accessories that have been specifically designed and tested for your motorcycle. We strongly advise you not to remove any original equipment or modify your motorcycle in any way that would change its design or operation. Such changes could seriously impair your motorcycles handling, stability and braking, making it unsafe to ride.

#3 kaldek

kaldek

Impatient bugger

• Forum Contributor
  • 2866 posts
  • In My Garage::2012 BMW K1300R

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

After a fair amount of testing, cursing and learning, it appears I have a faulty stator in my 94 750.

Followed the testing at Electrex World and got very, very low readings when doing the Generator Leakage Current test eg 2-6.

Noticed the R/R has been replaced by part SH701-12 which is a replacement for the 4th gens and is finned.

Could the original R/R that went bad have damaged the stator which now needs replacing?

Is there something else that would damage the stator.

I've had similar problems mate. These things just seem to burn out after a while, and if they're not manufactured perfectly, they burn out even earlier.

BMW K1300R is my new girlfriend.

#4 Lee 2002

Lee 2002

Holy crap! Did you know that was flammable?

• Volunteer
  • 2607 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 VFR 800 (red)
    1968 Yamaha YL2CM

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:20 AM

To elaborate further on what has already been said, time and heat. The wire that constitutes the windings is insulated with a thin coating of varnish, not plastic or rubber. Over time and with heat the varnish breaks down and shortly thereafter the wires begin to short circuit.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
I was the fastest rider at TMAC 2011.... .... from Kansas.

#5 swas

swas

Growing old disgracefully

• Forum Contributor
  • 227 posts
  • In My Garage::01 VFR 800 Red of course!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

Posted Image

AND if the previously failed RR had been shunting too much to ground whilst it was failing it may have caused more heat in those varnished wires making up the stator. (There are too many possibilities of sequences of RR failing to consider all of them)

Check all the earths are good and that the main fuse connections are good and clean as any voltage drops here will overload the electrical system over time.

Get a VfrNess from Tightwad which will clean up the Honda poor design around the battery connections and main fuse.
All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

#6 sruss67

sruss67

Factory Team Rider

• Forum Contributor
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Posted Image

AND if the previously failed RR had been shunting too much to ground whilst it was failing it may have caused more heat in those varnished wires making up the stator. (There are too many possibilities of sequences of RR failing to consider all of them)

Check all the earths are good and that the main fuse connections are good and clean as any voltage drops here will overload the electrical system over time.

Get a VfrNess from Tightwad which will clean up the Honda poor design around the battery connections and main fuse.

Yep I hear you loud and clear and have checked all mentioned.

The VFRness looks like a goer too, may be I can get both from Tightwad? at the same time.
The definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

#7 sruss67

sruss67

Factory Team Rider

• Forum Contributor
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

VFR stator 003.jpg VFR stator 002.jpg VFR stator 001.jpg

Removed said stator to check and looks fine to me?

#8 Macs06VFR

Macs06VFR

World Superbike Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 409 posts
  • In My Garage::I plead the 5th

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

Does look good, but I rarely believe my eyes. They can be tricked pretty easily. Trust the meter. Good luck.

#9 Auspaņol

Auspaņol

VTEC ala RC30

• Volunteer
  • 2931 posts
  • In My Garage::Honda VFR800FI 1998 Silver: Sold
    Honda VFR800 VTEC 2003,
    RC30 paintjob: current ride.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

Does look good, but I rarely believe my eyes. They can be tricked pretty easily. Trust the meter. Good luck.

+1... you can only really be sure based on multimeter testing... Volts AC pero 1000 RPM... resistence and continuity... there should be a thread around here explaining how to test it... you could have saved yourself the hassle of uninstalling it if it checked out ok...
Posted Image

#10 Beck

Beck

Race Team Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4609 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

Shoddy, low quality construction. That results in premature failures in the stator assembly. The motorcycle maker's engineers very well know what kind of harsh environments they are dealing with in the engine where the stator is located. So we should expect them to specify the correct quality and materials for the stator assemblies. It could very well be that Honda bean counters then cheapen up the design or manufacturing (mostly contractors outside of Honda, I suspect) to bolster profit margins on the bike.

Beck
95 VFR

Edited by Beck, 21 May 2010 - 05:27 PM.

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed