• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Metallican525

Metallican525

Adrenaline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Why VFRD?:Tons of information, great members.
  • In My Garage::2003 VFR Slutty Honda Red, 1985 VF500 RWB (the ol lady's ride)

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

I know you have stated multiple times that crashing hurts and so you are a slightly conservative rider. Your original set of tires tells a different story. I have yet to scrub my rear out to the edges and I consider myself to be a rather spirited rider. I can't tell if the Shinko's have been scrubbed out to the edges as your original Metzlers were and I'm just wondering why that is. I also ran a 009 rear on my bike and never got them scrubbed all the way out (probably still had about 1/2" to go on either side). I was also running mis-matched as the PO had replaced the rear for me when I bought the bike cause the old one was wore out. In the Shinko's defense I only had the rear slip on me in low speed hard over turns (coming off red light, stop sign, end of a U turn). Just curious as to if they didn't inspire good feel for you with a matched set or if you felt like you were starting to get slippage and didn't lean any farther. Also, what cold PSI are you running front and rear, I weigh considerably less than most (130lbs) and am running stock reccomended PSI (36 front 42 rear)
"....My body, my temple, this temple it tilts....."

#62 samaki

samaki

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Why VFRD?:To gain from the experience of others.
  • In My Garage::1997 VFR750F, nearing 100K miles
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2001 KTM 400EXC Dual sported
    2002 XR50

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Shinko tires are great. I recently went through a set of 009s on my 4th gen ($155 a set delivered from Chaparral) and took them off at 12,300 miles. The rear was just getting into the wear indicators and the front had at least a few thousand miles to go. I found these tires to perform as good or better than other tires I have gone through on this bike, including name brand tires costing more than twice the price. I am quite particular about my tires and have removed and replaced tires that I just did not like or feel comfortable with. The Shinko 009s give great feedback, turn in nicely, wear evenly and perform well in the rain. I am now 3000 miles into a set of 006s and am happy with them also, though they will not last as long as the 009s did if current wear rate is any indicatrion. When these are done I will go back to the 009s. They are good tires, regardless of the price.

These are not "untried" tires as others have said. I have tried them and they are a great tire.

#63 rchecks

rchecks

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • In My Garage::95 VFR
    81 KZ550 LTD(wifes)

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

Shinko tires are great. I recently went through a set of 009s on my 4th gen ($155 a set delivered from Chaparral) and took them off at 12,300 miles. The rear was just getting into the wear indicators and the front had at least a few thousand miles to go. I found these tires to perform as good or better than other tires I have gone through on this bike, including name brand tires costing more than twice the price. I am quite particular about my tires and have removed and replaced tires that I just did not like or feel comfortable with. The Shinko 009s give great feedback, turn in nicely, wear evenly and perform well in the rain. I am now 3000 miles into a set of 006s and am happy with them also, though they will not last as long as the 009s did if current wear rate is any indicatrion. When these are done I will go back to the 009s. They are good tires, regardless of the price.

These are not "untried" tires as others have said. I have tried them and they are a great tire.

How is the 006 front wear? I found the 009 front lasted almost 2 times longer then the rear, but I would rather change both at the same time. I was thinking of going back to a 009 rear and try the 006 front. Once these crappy PR2's wear out. Or maybe I might try the new shinko's 011 Verge.

#64 BCmcrider

BCmcrider

World Superbike Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 486 posts
  • Why VFRD?:It's a great source of information and an entertaining community of like minded folks.
  • In My Garage::2000 Ice Blue VFR
    2010 GAS GAS TXTPro 280 trials

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

... Once these crappy PR2's wear out.

Just never know exactly what you're going to see on here. PR2 seems to be a bit of a standard with some folks here.. can you elaborate?

gallery_17747_5296_2051.jpg gallery_17747_5296_128.jpg gallery_17747_5296_1156.jpg gallery_17747_5296_1049.jpg gallery_17747_5296_870.jpggallery_17747_5296_655.jpggallery_17747_5296_1847.jpg

#65 btl68

btl68

Why I even bother sometimes...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Why VFRD?:.
  • In My Garage::1993 Honda VFR750F
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

I too have 009's on my 93 VFR. I have had great results with them.

Those red dots are supposed to line up with the HEAVY spot on the rim, which is not necessarily the valve stem. I take the wheel w/o a tire on it and balance it on a static balancer. I mark that spot and I always put the red dot at THAT spot, not the valve stem. I mount and balance my own tires, so my QC is better than most.

My rear just took ONE 1/4 ounce weight and my front took THREE 1/4 ounce weights for balance.

009's rock and are definitely worth the price. I don't get the mileage that some get...about 5k out of a rear and double that out of a front, but I like hard launches and abuse the throttle out of turns. And, I'm a bit on the heavy side, plus I haul stuff on trips, so my mileage is not as good as others.

Edited by btl68, 16 August 2010 - 05:21 AM.

1993 Honda VFR750F
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#66 samaki

samaki

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Why VFRD?:To gain from the experience of others.
  • In My Garage::1997 VFR750F, nearing 100K miles
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2001 KTM 400EXC Dual sported
    2002 XR50

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

The 009 front did outlast the rear by a long ways. From the way my current 006s are wearing I would say these will do the same. I typically change my tires as a set, but not always. At 12,000 I figure I have gotten more than my monies worth out of the pair. I have not tried the 011s, though I am sure the performance and mileage will be on par with the 006s.

#67 rchecks

rchecks

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • In My Garage::95 VFR
    81 KZ550 LTD(wifes)

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

... Once these crappy PR2's wear out.

Just never know exactly what you're going to see on here. PR2 seems to be a bit of a standard with some folks here.. can you elaborate?

They are very unpredictable. I can only push them 40% of what I could the 009's because I need so much safe cushion. The front likes to slide a little as you slow for corners and as you enter a corner. Going through a corner they will not hold a constant turn, like I am moving the bars back and forth but I am not. On the highway you can feel the bottom of the bike acting like it is getting pushed around by the wind even when there is none. The rear is just as bad downshifting they like to lock up and skid no matter how easy I am letting the clutch out. and god forbid if I use the rear brake. There is nothing wrong with the rims or wheel bearings (which are only a year old), I changed the Steering Head Bearings to see if it changed the feel and still the same. I have tried all different pressures from 30 to 37 in the front and 32 to 44 in the rear. My bike is a 4th Gen 95' I weigh 230lbs and use it to ride every day for work and every weekend for fun, I quit riding weekends because of these tires. When I got the bike it had a Metz on the front and a dunlop on the rear with no life left and they were better tires then these PR2's. I had a set of 009 shinko's and when the rear wore out I put a 006 on the back. I then swapped to the PR2 about 4k ago. Maybe I have a bad set maybe they all are like this I will never know as I will never buy a PR2 again. I have had 3 shinko's and had no issues and they performed awesome. Right now I have to pretend I am always riding with sand on the road because I never know what the tires are going to do, which sucks.

#68 SpiralGray

SpiralGray

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Why VFRD?:Because I ride a VFR?
  • In My Garage::2007 Interceptor ABS (Red)

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

I know you have stated multiple times that crashing hurts and so you are a slightly conservative rider. Your original set of tires tells a different story. I have yet to scrub my rear out to the edges and I consider myself to be a rather spirited rider. I can't tell if the Shinko's have been scrubbed out to the edges as your original Metzlers were and I'm just wondering why that is. I also ran a 009 rear on my bike and never got them scrubbed all the way out (probably still had about 1/2" to go on either side). Also, what cold PSI are you running front and rear, I weigh considerably less than most (130lbs) and am running stock reccomended PSI (36 front 42 rear)

I just took another look at the pictures of the original tires. The rear shows a pretty distinct line about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the edge of the tire. I just went out to the garage and the 009s show signs of having been leaned over to the edge a few times. I was hitting the 20-25 mph corners on Beartooth and Rattlesnake Grade pretty hard this trip so it wouldn't surprise me to have gotten them over to the edge a few of times.

I've been running 36/42 for pressure as well.

#69 Guest_RC26RC46_*

Guest_RC26RC46_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

Awesome thread thanks for continuing. Helps other cheap SOBS like myself

:laughing6-hehe:

#70 hawglet

hawglet

One day I'll make it there

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Why VFRD?:is there any other option... Didn't think so.
  • In My Garage::1998 VFR, Lifted '84 K5 ,'06 Frontier, '80 KZ550, '03 Alero, other junk

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

I put Shinkos on my old Kawy years ago and never had any problems with them although a buddy rode it one time and got the to slip, this guy can ride like hell though and will push his limits just slightly. I'm probably one of the few that run Maxxis on my current VFR and love them, although I get about 7k out of the front I've only got about 4500 ona rear. They stick well for my ability, and are a little more cost friendly. I'm looking for a brand change though as I've become a little more relaxed rider over the last couple of years, plus I live in Nebraska, land of the straight and mostly flat roads! Thanks for a solid write-up of a good value tire.

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed