25 replies to this topic

#1 FotoMoto

FotoMoto

Grammer Nazi

• Forum Contributor
  • 4278 posts
  • In My Garage::96RCBVFR

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

I've had the harbor freight bottom bead breaker unit bolted to a crating pallet for about 5 years and did the rest of the tire change by hand with tire spoons with lots of physical effort. Last year, I finally got the m/c tire upper unit when it went on sale but was disappointed with its lack of grip and how easy it would scratch the rims. I tried a couple of possible solutions posted on the interweb but without success. After getting a set of carrozzeria wheels for my RC51, I knew I'd have to find a better way. I went with a set of mojo blocks and the No-Mar bar. While drooling on the no-mar site, I also ordered some of their tire lube paste and spray.

Over the past nearly 30 years of street riding, I've only had a couple of flats but the gremlins came back a couple of weekends ago. While at our lunch stop at a secluded spot, the rear tire on my '51 went completely flat. Amazingly the bike somehow did not fall over in the windy conditions as it was sitting vertical on the sidestand after the 190 completely deflated to zero psi. Side note: we parked right next to a group of hardleys who left a few minutes before us but not one of them came back in to tell us...... :fing02: :wub:

To keep a long story short, I didn't have my usual tire repair kit and the ducati hypermotard rider with me couldn't store a bobby-pin on his bike. One bottle of goop and two cans of fix-a-flat from the closest store got it to seal and pressure up to 25psi which got me to the nearest air supply 20 miles away. YEAH!

But here are the results. YUCK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At least it's water based and washed off easily.

And the bastard culprit:

Posted Image

Back to the tire changer story. The mojo blocks are easy to install; just drill the appropriate size hole into the HF changer mounts for the bolts and install. 5-10 minutes, tops.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The no-mar bar came with a DVD of the same videos used on their site which is handy as a refresher but after you do one tire change, it becomes second nature. Highly, highly recommended. Sorry, I was by myself and couldn't take pics during the process but their website vids show you the same process on their stand.

Posted Image

So after a very easy tire change with, more importantly, zero scratches on my pricey rim, I had to go do a quick 100 mile tire test this afternoon along the coast in the "chilly" 60 degree temps. Yeah, I know; the sacrifices I make for you guys! :laugh:

Posted Image

#2 vfrcapn

vfrcapn

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 4344 posts
  • In My Garage::'99 VFR800
    '93 VFR750
    '85 VF1000R

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Can you add a link for the blocks and bar? I've got the same HF setup but the duct tape on the rim holders doesn't work too well. Not good to spend a bunch of money having your rims powdercoated only to be scratched up. Bike looks great, I really want to have one of those RC's in the garage one of these days.

21353.png 5416849139_b2a1ac322b_o.jpg

Visited States Map
gallery_7586_2699_10597.jpg

#3 FotoMoto

FotoMoto

Grammer Nazi

• Forum Contributor
  • 4278 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

mojoblocks and he has own version of a lever too:

http://home.comcast..../mojoblocks.htm

No-Mar bar:

http://www.nomartire.../product/show/6

#4 FotoMoto

FotoMoto

Grammer Nazi

• Forum Contributor
  • 4278 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

Another thing: put the new tires in the sun for at least an hour (flip 'em too) and they will be more pliable and much easier to mount.

#5 dutchinterceptor

dutchinterceptor

Black on Black on Black on Black

• Forum Contributor
  • 4152 posts
  • In My Garage::In My Shed: '04 VFR(Yes, I know I said never again but it was a great deal!) - '09 XR650L

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

Yuck!! I filled a car tire with that stuff one time and neglected to tell the guy at the shop about it when he demounted it. He came out of the shop covered in that green stuff and was NOT happy.

I made my own blocks but found that the rim would slip sometimes on the slick plastic. A small piece of inner tube helped to keep it in place.

Also, the No-Mar bar works beautifully but the Mojo lever is actually a lot easier. I currently have both.

VFRD Ride Icons:

sml_gallery_491_6304_2904.jpg  sml_gallery_491_6304_3525.jpg  RideIcon2.jpg  tmac07avatar.jpg  sml_gallery_491_6304_2594.jpg  sml_gallery_491_6304_271.gif  sml_gallery_491_6304_2134.jpg  sml_gallery_491_6304_1523.jpg

sml_gallery_491_6304_1346.jpg  sml_gallery_491_6304_11207.jpg  sml_gallery_6587_6304_4354.png  gallery_491_3_2414.png  AR-2013-Ride-Icon.jpg   gallery_2975_3_1341.gif     VisitedStatesMap-2.jpg

Famous Quotes:
"Ride lots!" -- E. Merckx
"Dinosaurs were not created to lubricate motorcycles. They were created to eat each other. Mobil 1 is manufactured to lubricate motorcycles." -- Bent
"I usually just chop the throttle hard during a 2nd gear wheelie which results in my nuts being smashed against the tank and at that point I no longer care if they are hot and sweaty." -- Baileyrock
"As to my "former" screen name... Know why I picked it don't you? Cause Bitch was already taken!!" -- Nicole
"Of course, all of them caused the motor to seize, then I crashed and died, the bike burst into flames after sliding along the road and crashing into immoveable objects, then exploded, and I died all over again. It's really starting to piss me off, all this crashing, exploding, dying nonsense!" -- Enzed Viffer

#6 spud786

spud786

Race Team Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5373 posts
  • In My Garage::2006 interceptor abs

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

Another thing: put the new tires in the sun for at least an hour (flip 'em too) and they will be more pliable and much easier to mount.

I had a tire mounted the other day, and they didnt even clean the slime off the rim, new tire had slime on it , like when they blew the tire up forced it out around the rim bead. Just cant get good work these days.

I've thought about a tire changer, but seems to be to be worth the $25, to let somebody else do it, assuming they do a good job. I stopped using cyclegear to mount tires, even if I buy the tire from them. I go to shops with the automatic changer machines. Less likely of bead damage

#7 SondanXX

SondanXX

Steers with Rear Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • In My Garage::'02 VFR RIP
    '00 CBR 1100XX, Das Pickup

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

Mitch is a good guy, I've had his mojo lever for years, got some extra parts for it and also picked up another lever from him as well.

Didn't know he had made some of these blocks, so great post... I've been using those plastic rim strips as a guard and holding the rim down on the HF stand with a couple of ratchet tie downs.... seems to work ok, but I'd like to give these blocks a ride now...

#8 Tightwad

Tightwad

Race Team Owner

• Volunteer
  • 3877 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 VFR800 w/ABS....somewhat stock, but farkles are taking over...

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

I have and love the bar, still need to get the blocks. Scratched the crap out of my rim last time because I was using the bar wrong....amazing how much easier it is to use correctly.
Creator of the "VFRness" based on the upgrade ideas from this thread(must read for all VFR owners): http://www.vfrdiscus...harging-system/

Check out these threads for more information/feedback about the VFRness:
3rd/4th Gen: No specific thread found...more searching to do
5th Gen: http://www.vfrdiscus...__1#entry747407
6th Gen: http://www.vfrdiscus...ge__hl__vfrness

For HIDs check this thread: http://www.vfrdiscus...conversion-kit/

For MOSFET R/Rs, new Stators, Powerlet Products, SpeedBleeders and any other needs check out my website WireMyBike

#9 BonusVFR

BonusVFR

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 2766 posts
  • In My Garage::99 VFR
    01 GL1800
    09 KLR

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

I have had the blocks for a few changes. Good mod! Before I used old cut up bicycle tires, which worked great but the blocks are easier. Have some new NoMar tire iron levers but have not got the technique yet. May have to get the mojo lever one of these days.

#10 mznyc

mznyc

World Superbike Racer

• Forum Contributor
  • 406 posts
  • In My Garage::1993 ST1100
    2002 CB919
    2002 Moto Guzzi V11
    1997 CBR 1100XX
    2002 VTEC ABS

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Got the mojo blocks,and also had problems with the wheel slipping.Used torn up tubes,helped somewhat.Also found that the Mojo bar didn't really work for me when getting the second bead on.Found the No-Mar bar to be a better design.
Think for the money,one of the No-Mar packages is the best value over time if you do a change or two a year.Superior quality over the HF.

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed