Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • In My Garage::04 Interceptor, Asphalt ABS
    2005 Acura TL 6spd
    2001 Sequoia

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Sunday when I was getting ready to take a ride, my rear was flat. Found a nail that had made a nice hole. I used a tire patch kit, the kind with a rubber sticky string that you twist into the hole, and patched it up. So, with a tire with less than a thousand miles on it, do you all just keep riding it or what? I don't know of anyplace that will remove a motorcycle tire from a wheel and do a proper inside patch, but I am looking. Seems insane to replace a tire when I've used the kit on cars for thousands of miles, but thats four tires and a cage, not two tires and my skin! After about seventy miles, I can barely even see the patch. I'm trying to convince myself that it will be okay. What say you?

#2 cruzinaz

cruzinaz

Race Team Owner

• Volunteer
  • 3278 posts
  • In My Garage::07 vfr RWB
    03 vtx 1800,
    82 cbx 1100
    97 xr600r

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Here we go,,,,,,,,I'd get it patched from the inside, and ride it,,,but on this site there is some that may not agree :fing02: :fing02:

:lurk: :angry:

#3 Baileyrock

Baileyrock

Geezy Rider

• Forum Moderator
  • 20866 posts
  • In My Garage::02 Vtec back and white
    04 vtec track pig
    07 SYM Fiddle 50
    01 VFR

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

Some people would never run a plugged tire on a bike, but I constantly run patched/plugged tires until there worn, but on a bike that's only 2000 miles or less. :fing02:
Ideally I would have it repaired with a more permanent mushroom plug from the inside, but again I've ran them with the same type plug you used until the tire was worn out. :fing02:

02 VFR w/104,374 miles plus! Penske, revalved forks, V1, trying Pirelli Angel GT's

sml_gallery_491_6304_474.giftmac07avatar.jpgsml_gallery_491_6304_3191.pngsml_gallery_491_6304_2594.jpgsml_gallery_491_6304_271.gif sml_gallery_491_6304_4121.pngsml_gallery_491_6304_611.pngsml_gallery_491_6304_11207.jpgsml_gallery_301_3_4689.pngsml_gallery_491_6304_1801.png sml_gallery_6587_6304_4354.pngtn_gallery_301_3_400.png       

#4 Rice

Rice

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 3914 posts
  • In My Garage::2006 VFR800A black
    2002 VFR800 project color TBD
    92 Honda VLX600 no title POS.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Depends on the size of the puncture. If it's a nice round hole that pretty much closed itself when you pulled out the nail, then by all means, keep riding.
If it riped or if the nail went in sideways and created an elongated hole, then you'd be better off changing the tire.
I used to ride with a similar repair in my front. Rode for 2 years until the tire wore off. Never had a problem.

#5 Bikerholic

Bikerholic

Vfeer madness

• Forum Contributor
  • 79 posts
  • In My Garage::'02 VFR

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Sunday when I was getting ready to take a ride, my rear was flat. Found a nail that had made a nice hole. I used a tire patch kit, the kind with a rubber sticky string that you twist into the hole, and patched it up. So, with a tire with less than a thousand miles on it, do you all just keep riding it or what? I don't know of anyplace that will remove a motorcycle tire from a wheel and do a proper inside patch, but I am looking. Seems insane to replace a tire when I've used the kit on cars for thousands of miles, but thats four tires and a cage, not two tires and my skin! After about seventy miles, I can barely even see the patch. I'm trying to convince myself that it will be okay. What say you?

I say it is enough reason to get a new 08 VFR. :laugh:

If it was me, I would start looking into putting in a patch on the inside. I'll start by calling up my local bike shop/tire shop and ask if they will demount and repair the wheel, and don't forget to balance them again.

#6 hondalover

hondalover

Normal Joe on a Bad A$$ bike

• Forum Contributor
  • 1183 posts
  • In My Garage::2005 VFR
    1992 Nighthawk
    1984 KL600

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion so here's mine. If you ride in the rain, replace it. You could get water in between the plies of the tire which will cause ply separation. If you tend to do any high speed traveling, replace it. High speed as in triple digits could cause the plug to be thrown out. You will most likely not find a shop to repair a motorcycle tire due to the liability involved. If you have the least bit of doubt, just replace it. With all of this "replace it" advice, I rode out a plugged rear tire on my Nighthawk 750 for a few thousand miles with no problems, but keep in mind the Nighthawk is no VFR when it comes to available tire abuse.

#7 BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce

World Superbike Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • In My Garage::93 VFR

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

I know what you mean about finding a place to patch, I had to go into a car tire center and kinda "talk" them into it, less than 5 mins later I had a nice patched tire. This was before I started changing my own tires or I would have done it my self. It was a brand new (less than 400 miles) PP, I ran the thing into the ground and hit 120+ on it many times without worry after the patch. A plug alone might give me pause about high speeds, but I know more than a few who have done it without problems.

#8 Beck

Beck

Race Team Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4540 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

Ran a plugged (It was only a couple of weeks old when picked up a roofing nail. Had a mushroom plug installed from inside.) rear tire (ME55) on my Hawk GT650 for about almost a year and a half (just can't afford a new one during a recession) till the tire was worn out with no problems. but it did kinda bother me everytime I did any high speed commuting on the highways the whole time.

Beck
95 VFR

#9 turtlecreek

turtlecreek

Old and Slow....

• Volunteer
  • 3400 posts
  • In My Garage::Silver 2003 VFR
    2005 Gixxer 750 Track Bike
    Gone: 1997 YZF600r, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

Here we go,,,,,,,,I'd get it patched from the inside, and ride it,,,but on this site there is some that may not agree :laugh: :unsure:

:lurk: :beer:

same here.

#10 NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS

laid back old school rider

• Forum Contributor
  • 394 posts
  • In My Garage::red v-tec 2003

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

replace it as soon as possible ,especially if you do triple digit riding for safety,s sake ,my 2ct.s

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed