• Forum Contributor
  • 3942 posts
  • In My Garage::2006 VFR800A black
    2002 VFR800 project color TBD
    92 Honda VLX600 no title POS.

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

Hi all.
I just got done gutting my exhaust.
Actually, mine is still intact. I used exhaust graciously donated by bluedragon. Thanks for a smooth transaction :fing02:
I did not gut mine because I was not sure whether I would F it up (I did not http://www.vfrdiscus...tyle_emoticons/default/+1.gif ) or whether I would hate the sound once I'm done.
Having read all the related posts, I still did not have a clear picture of what exactly needs to be done and how to do it.
So, here is my definitive guide to gutting a 6th Gen. exhaust :huh:
I did it with out cutting it in the middle and with out a welding machine.
The whole job took me a little over 3 hours. This includes the time that I took to figure out what exactly needs to be done and what tools to use :idea3: No beer brakes :beer: Hopefully, this write-up will save an hour for those of you who come in my "glorious" footsteps. (You can tell I'm pretty proud [read full] of myself).
The tools:
Posted Image
  • Heavy duty work gloves. After reading prior posts
  • Goggles (not pictured). Use your imagination.
  • Wise Grip
  • Hammer
  • Channel Lock
  • 12 inch chisel. A shorter one will not work
  • File (rough grain)
  • Large screwdriver
  • Sawzal
The steps:
  • Disassemble the tail section plastics, fender, all chrome heat shields, etc...
  • Leave the exhaust on the bike. I looked in vein for something else sturdy enough to place the exhaust on for cutting, hammering and pulling. It turned out that the bike is the best platform for all the work, so I hooked it up and the rest happens while exhaust is installed on the bike.
  • Cut the end caps off with a sawzal. This will take some time, but it is not too difficult. Use the edge of the file to start the cut in the middle of the weld and continue with the sawzal all the way through.
  • Now, comes the fun part. Remove the outer baffle. Some explanation is in order here. Look at this diagram: Posted Image
Now, that you've stopped laughing at my artistry... The picture shows the inside of the muffler.

• The most important thing to notice is what I refer to as the "middle pipe". This pipe connects the two baffles. It must be dislodged from the outer baffle by chiseling around it until it is free of the welds.
  • Cave in the middle of the outer baffle with the chisel. This does two things: First, it makes the three tabs with the spot welds move away from the muffler wall, which makes it easy to insert chisel and knock the welds off. Second, it deforms the baffle and makes it easier to pull out.
  • Attach Wise Grip to any pipe (other than the "middle pipe"), grab the end bolt of the Wise Grip with Channel Lock and hammer the s!@#$%t out of it until the outer baffle comes out.

• The inner baffle comes out by following the same procedure. No need to dislodge the middle pipe you will be using it to pull the baffle out.
  • Repeat on the other side. Here is the picture of baffles out. I actually got the outer baffle up side down here. OOPS. Posted Image
  • Step away and admire the view. Now is a good time to take pictures. I love that totally naked look of the tail section with open exhaust: Posted Image
  • Now, remove the exhaust and turn it up side down to get rid of the metal shavings. I actually used my trusty shop vac. to get everything out.
  • Use JB Weld to glue the end caps back on. This stuff hardens to become as durable as steel. No bull. I have not done this yet. It's on my to do list for tomorrow.
So, tomorrow I will weld the pipes back together and record the final picture and the sound clip.
Thanks to everyone who did it before me and took the time to share your experience. It saved me time and helped to avoid possible bodily injury :thumbsup:

#2 KanadianKen

KanadianKen

I hold a mean flashlight......

• Forum Moderator
  • 4767 posts
  • In My Garage::02' VFR, 07' Pilot EX-L, 13' Edge AWD Pimp Mobile.
    6 x 10 Aluma trailer. DON'T CRASH YOUR COFFEE!

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:26 AM

Damn - fine job if it went that well. I've now debaffled two exhausts - and they do not come out very easy - at all.

Glad that you had success..

:thumbsup:

#3 Rivcyko

Rivcyko

See,..I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

• Volunteer
  • 8016 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 Honda VFR vtech,
    2002 Ford Ranger,
    A Grill, Yard tools,
    Fiberglass dust, Spiders,...

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

Sweet.

Not to rain on you,....seems one member did the J.B. weld, on the ends, and they fell off. :joystick: Very interseted to see further reports. (Yer gonna love the sound.) That, I am sure of. :thumbsup:

#4 uclajoebruin

uclajoebruin

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 VFR ABS

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the write up and cool drawing :thumbsup: I'm interested in hearing the sound clips since I'm thinking of gutting my exhausts instead of going the aftermarket route.

#5 Rivcyko

Rivcyko

See,..I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

• Volunteer
  • 8016 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 Honda VFR vtech,
    2002 Ford Ranger,
    A Grill, Yard tools,
    Fiberglass dust, Spiders,...

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the write up and cool drawing :thumbsup: I'm interested in hearing the sound clips since I'm thinking of gutting my exhausts instead of going the aftermarket route.

Here's Kkkkens!

http://media.putfile.com/kens-gutted

Any pinnage for this thread?

#6 klrtovfr

klrtovfr

Factory Team Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • In My Garage::2002 VFR800

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:36 AM

I just gutted mine this fall right before i put it away for the winter. I am very pleased with the sound. After completely gutting it I ran it without the end caps on and it was a little too loud about the same as running the exhaust straight out of the catalytic converter.
I decided to take it to a local welder who tig welded it for me for $45 which looks very vice, it almost makes me want to leave the heat shields off so that I can look at the pretty welds.

It is a lot quieter after the endcaps are back on, and the sound makes me smile

It is noticably louder than stock but when not wearing earplugs anything above 50-55mph I cant hear it over the windnoise. It also seems to be quieter than an inline 4 with aftermarket exhaust. I have not heard any aftermarket exhaust on a vfr in person so I can not compare, but I would imagine that one from staintune or remus would have a more fine tuned note color. An example that I can think that most people could compare would be like a standard GM V8. If you like the sound of the V8 with a good aftermarket exhaust than go with a staintune, remus, micron, etc. If you like the sound of a straight piped v8 than dont waste your money, just gut your stock exhaust.

As far as the gutting process, make sure you have a friend that can help because it will tire you out from hammering on the chissel. Having a sawzall really helps a lot for taking end cap off.

#7 Rice

Rice

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 3942 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

Sweet.

Not to rain on you,....seems one member did the J.B. weld, on the ends, and they fell off. :joystick: Very interseted to see further reports. (Yer gonna love the sound.) That, I am sure of. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warning.
I'm gona try it with JB Weld any way because I have nothing to lose here. If end caps fall off, I will rent a MIG welder at Home Depot and weld them.
Should be a fun experience, since I've never welded before and I have to try everything at least once :huh:

Edited by Rice, 21 January 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#8 Rice

Rice

Race Team Owner

• Forum Contributor
  • 3942 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

My pleasure.
Love the fact that you liked the drawing http://www.vfrdiscus...tyle_emoticons/default/wink.gif

#9 cruzinaz

cruzinaz

Race Team Owner

• Volunteer
  • 3285 posts
  • In My Garage::07 vfr RWB
    03 vtx 1800,
    82 cbx 1100
    97 xr600r

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

Sweet.

Thanks for the warning.
I'm gona try it with JB Weld any way because I have nothing to lose here. If end caps fall off, I will rent a MIG welder at Home Depot and weld them.
Should be a fun experience, since I've never welded before and I have to try everything at least once :huh:

Find someone to tig weld, if you don't have welding experience welding anything thin is a BIG challenge, the metal will dissapear very quickly, and after all that fine work inside you may not be very happy. One more thing, if you use jb weld and it doesn't work it will make the welders job alot harder, the 45 bucks it will cost is well worth it. :thumbsup: Nice job on the pipes :thumbsup:

#10 bluedragon

bluedragon

I will kill you until you die from it!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • In My Garage::silver 2003 vfr 800,2006 Black and silver kawi ninja 650(my womans bike)

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:58 AM

awesome man! glad you got it done. Hope the JB weld holds up and cant wait to hear um :thumbsup:

swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed
swallowtailed